question about the ups

If your computer actually draws over 300 watts from the UPS, it will make a very angry "beeeep!" noise.

Install Powerchute and check how much power your computer actually pulls from the UPS. If it's backing up your computer alone, it's probably only ~200W at the most with a game going...

oh thats wut that beep noise is.. then does that mean my laptop alone takes over 300w??? cuz i tested out the ups on my laptop (first pluged it in the battery side then pulled out the plug, then it start to make that angry beep noise) im pretty sure my pc will take more than 200ws tho cuz my gfx card recommends a 400w psu as it is

a highend computer will barely draw 250W at max load. there will be no issues there.

as to your issue... i have no idea. it does that when only the laptop is plugged in, also?

TSS Modder said:
a highend computer

desktops without arrays ;)

pretty easy to slip into workstations and NAS around here, or have someone assume that
think this might have been what your looking for

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article28-page4.html
giving an average DC Draw and AC draw for a few systems
actually averaging far less than 250W with the limited configs and tasks tested

and when it comes to any arrays figure 2A +12V (24W DC) per drive at spinup
thus spinning up my 10 drive NAS requires 240W DC without any power for the rest of the components,
assuming say a High A64 at idle for spinup would put it over 300W almost all of that +12V

one of the reasons SCSI controllers and some IDE RAID cards support delayed spinup protocols,
staggering the power draw since after the drive spins up it averages a mere 0.5A +12V (6W DC) per drive

a large portion of the capacity you'll see on PSUs is there forbackward compatibility and is simply unemployed in any given config, but might be in the next (old vs new)
that and cheap supplies are rated at artifically and unreasonably low temperatures, that total capacity drops steeply as temperature increases.

Wattage as an indicator of a PSUs suitability is next to useless

ok, yes, sorry Ice Czar. a high end computer w/o a major disk array (CD/HDD). :rolleyes:

heh, yea, weve been through this before. :p

but im gonna say its pretty safe to say that he doesnt have a major disk array.

bet your right, however the number of lurkers at anyone time is amazing just check the index http://hardforum.com/

409 members 673 guests
guests always outnumber

besides there are dual CPU and SLi systems w\ combinations of x numbers of drives
so throwing some context numbers in helps ;)

if my system matters here are my specs

cpu: amd x2 4400
gpu: 7800gtx
2 hdds:wd raptor 74 + seagate 7200.7 not in raid (yup no workstation power here :p)
mobo: dfi lp sli dr
ram: 2.6v ram
psu: 600w noisetaker

but even if this doesnt go over 300w im wondering if a system were to go over the ups limit would this be bad? or does this just mean that my battery would be drained out faster? cuz i really dont want my hardware to be damaged u no :)

thanks

for a rig that nice you should really get a Liebert or APC SmartUPS that outputs a true sine wave and is line interactive rather than standby. I love my SmartUPS 750.

ashmedai said:
At what point does having a true sine wave become meaningful?
Never.

Computer power supplies don't care wether they get a sine wave, triangle wave, square wave or anything. They just rectify it to DC internally.

Whew good. I hear people touting online UPS (apparently only meaningful in large buildings where you need to prevent feedback on the electrical system, or something like that) and true sine waves (which from my very limited EE experiance...shouldn't mean much to a computer, maybe a little bit to audio). Think I'll love my RS series, and the extra money I didn't spend on a SmartUPS that can now go to a different upgrade. Like a new chair. ^_^

not to hijack this, but aside from APC, what are other good brands?

i have 50% off at belkin and was highly considering a UPS. obviously its a steal at 50% off... :D

I can personally vouch for the fact that Belkin UPS units suck.

If you have an old one to dispose of APC will give you a discount...

dang... o well. guess full priced APCs it is :p

i like belkins other stuff. ipod accessories, cable management, cables... theyre pretty good. but i guess ill be staying away from their power equipment and stick w/ APC.

though i did just buy some Stanley (im guessing a part of Belkin. at least sold through Belkin) extension cords. ive got one right now powering a load of stuff and its holding up really well. good stuff!

Back