question about the zalman CNPS7700-Cu (the fanmate2, actually)....

MrMetal_53

[H]ard|Gawd
i recently purchased the said cpu cooler from newegg, and i love it. its quiet, and if it werent for the ungodly temperatures in so-cal (read: its hot as hell, but im thankful; my computer isnt :D ) my cpu would be running very cool. however, i do have one question about the fanmate 2 fan controller that comes with it. when i installed the zalman cooler (using the supplied double sided adhesive tape), i stuck the controller to the top of my case. doh. over the past few days, i have been wondering if that was a bad mistake. do you think that was a bad place to put it, seeing as if the tape came off, the fan mate could fall off and damage components. have any of you guys on here heard about problems like this? am i just better sticking it somewhere safer?

I wouldn't think it would be a problem at all. With my HTPC I drilled a hole in the case and put a nut and bolt to hold the fanmate to the case. An even easier option would be to just put a nut and bolt through it and install it into a empty drive bay hole.

man, if you drill, I'd take everything out of your rig if I were you...too hard to clean out all of those shavings.

I do think you'll be okay as you are, though. The double sided tape is pretty strong. Just zip tie the little ribbon cable to something so that if it does fall it doesn't inadvertantly block a fan or something.

I used the double-sided tape to stick a sound sensor to the inside of my case on a hard drive mounting wall. That stuff is NASTY to get off even on unpolished metal. So.... perhaps alcohol would work if you need to get the stuff off. I always refrain from "sticking" anything to the exterior of my cases 'cause I'm scared it's gonna leave a nasty residue. Anyhoo... I've also got the 7700 and it's a good, quiet cooler. Not the best performing one but it's not that heavy and it looks really nice. Enjoy!

headala said:
man, if you drill, I'd take everything out of your rig if I were you...too hard to clean out all of those shavings.

I do think you'll be okay as you are, though. The double sided tape is pretty strong. Just zip tie the little ribbon cable to something so that if it does fall it doesn't inadvertantly block a fan or something.
It's not bad if you place a magnet near where you are drilling with a rag to catch the flakes the magnet doesn't get. On top of that go slow.

I wasn't refering to drilling into a drive cage just utilizing the mounting holes.

Back