Question about wire to tiny speaker

Kaos

[H]ard|Gawd
So I have a turtle beach headset for my xbox. I've had to repair the thing a few times over the 2-3 years I've had it and last night the audio stopped coming through the left headphone. Unfortunately this is where the mic noise comes through as well...so it kind of leaves me stuck for multiplayer. I took it apart as I've done before and found the wires going from the PCB to the headphone were frayed/disconnected. Probably from tension from being taken off from the other repairs I had to make. Since TB made that wire so show I pretty much had to use another wire in replacement.

I figured I'd make it a little longer to make it easier to handle. The only thing I had was some strands of solid core cat5. The wire that was previously there was very very thin..had a wax like coating on it and was tinted red and copper colored and was about one inch long. I replaced it with solid core cat5 that's about 1.5-2" long.

Now when it's on full blast I can barely hear audio through the headphone, while the other side is blaring, but there is a very tiny amount of sound coming through the headphone. Is this possibly a result of using the wrong kind of/too much wire or a bad speaker?

I'd buy a new set, but don't really have the cash. But I do have a soldering iron, patience and will to learn and can probably get some thin braided wire from somewhere.
can take pics sometime tomorrow (after my daughter's bday party...gotta shovel tons of snow tonight and tomorrow morning to make parking spaces).

Using the Cat5 won't degrade or attenuate the sound. If anything, since it's a heavier gauge, it would be better than the original.

From your description, it sounds to me like one of two things happened: either A) there is a break in the signal wire further down the cable, or B) something broke in the driver, probably an open circuit in the windings. If it's A, then you can just replace the whole cable. If it's B, you're pretty much out of luck unless you can somehow find a replacement driver.

The speaker wires are soldered right into the PCB...so I don't think the wires are the issue. I guess the speaker could be bad also...

I'd be SOL on the driver.

Back