Question Concerning RAID 5 Config

Megengo

n00b
I am currently working on a system that has a four drive RAID 5 configuration. One of the hard drives failed and has since been replaced. What needs to be done to make sure that the new drive will work properly with the original array? The motherboard is a Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe.

you need to make sure that the array reconstructs itself. I believe that there is a GUI for that board that should indicate the status, otehrwise look in the bios.

The drives are connected to the Silicon RAID controller, not the nVIDIA chipset controller. I have looked in the UI for this and have only seen 6 options: Create RAID set, Delete RAID set, Rebuild a RAID1 set, Resolve Conflicts, Low Level Format, and Logical Drive Info. I do not see any option to rebuild a RAID5 array. I did try the Rebuild RAID1 set but it said that it would not work of course because there is not RAID1 set present.

Apparently I stumbled onto the very easy solution for this. All I had to do was boot into Windows (which I didn't even think would work) and use the RAID application there to tell it to rebuild the array. Now the new drive is showing up as part of the RAID set in the Silicon RAID configuration utility.

Megengo said:
All I had to do was boot into Windows (which I didn't even think would work) and use the RAID application there to tell it to rebuild the array.
That, my friend, is * the point * of redundant RAID levels (like your level 5 setup). You can lose one drive and still function.

Back