Question for 260GTX owners... How far can you OC?

I'm not 100% certain how to enable it, I do know you have to use the power user interface to change a RivaTuner Registry entry. I think it might be RivaTuner\Power user\Power User set to "1".

After that you go back to the Main tab, pull down the box that is right next to the customize in "Target adapter" then click on the card that looks like a video card. On the low level page click the check box for enable low level fan control, click the radio button for Auto, and below that set your auto fan rule.

I think I might have attempted to change some of the settings for the auto fan rule and RT told me which registry entry to edit, but I'm not sure

This is mine, i've turned the artifact scanning to the most stable overclock/most artifacts detected.

This Evga GTX 260 is my second GTX and it can do 730 on the core with a 1532 shader clock just like my XFX. I can run them higher and they aren't rock stable so I don't bother.

Lucky you guys. My EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 can't stay up for more than 15 mins at 675/1455/1250 :(

Precisely why I let my step-up run out on my vanilla 260. It would have been FREE to get a 260 216, but I was worried and heard rumors they don't OC quite like the "old" ones. I'm very surprised at your core clock - have you unlinked the core and shader?

Im at 702/1566/1224 I run perfectly stable 24/7 with this. I am Folding 24/7 and my temps stay right around 59c. I have the fan set at 70%

Precisely why I let my step-up run out on my vanilla 260. It would have been FREE to get a 260 216, but I was worried and heard rumors they don't OC quite like the "old" ones. I'm very surprised at your core clock - have you unlinked the core and shader?

Well thats quite funny actually, I did get my Core 216 at no extra charge. I ordered a core 192 but received a mislabeled Core 216 in disguise as a core 192:p About unlinking the core and the shader, if I unlink them which one should I start raising individually?

Well thats quite funny actually, I did get my Core 216 at no extra charge. I ordered a core 192 but received a mislabeled Core 216 in disguise as a core 192:p About unlinking the core and the shader, if I unlink them which one should I start raising individually?

I would start at 700/1400/1200. My card runs at 735/1475/1250 - maybe higher (it keeps getting better as it ages... so wierd) I think I've tons left with my shader - just need to take the time to do it. All I know is when I had them linked my shader was the bottleneck and I couldn't get my core over 680 or so to save my life.

About unlinking the core and the shader, if I unlink them which one should I start raising individually?

The shader, since the core needs to be half the shader you need to overclock the shader 1st, find the maximum overclock and then start on the core.;)

713/1458/1260 , EVGA 260 GTX 50% fan speed, occasionally has heat issues, so I just turn it up to 60% and never have any problems when playing the more demanding games :) I haven't actually hit the max overclock yet either.. just felt like it was a good stopping point.

Just received my new graphics card from The Egg today. I just finished installing my XFX GTX 260 (216) Black Edition card. Not a bad upgrade from an eVGA 8800GTS (640mb) card. I ran these benchies at 3.150ghz:

My "old" 8800GTS (ran this today about 3 hours ago):

vantage1.jpg

My current GTX 260 (ran this today about 20 minutes ago):

vantage2.jpg

Pretty nice increase in performance. I'd like to see what this XFX black edition card will do. Since they come pretty highly clocked from the factory, is it even worth the extra strain on the card to clock it higher for 24/7 use (minus benchmarks)? Also, I noticed that this card runs cooler. I bumped the fan speed up just a bit but its barely audible.

"Old" 8800GTS (with my older Zalman CNPS9500 AM2 cooler):

screenshot1.jpg

The new GTX 260 (while I installed the new graphics card, I went ahead and installed a Xigmatek S-1284EE.. My cpu temps dropped a bit, in case you were wondering):

temps-gtx260.jpg

Back