Question for the smart folks on the A10 5800k

Mastrhiggins

Weaksauce
Hey guys,

This makes sense but I figured I would ask.

When gaming with the CPU, I have played older titles it can handle @ 1080p.

However the temp of my CPU reaches 70 degrees. (I have a Lian Li Q11 ITX Case)

When I scaled down the rez to 720p the temps dropped to 63 degrees at load.

Following this pattern my question is if I buy a card for dual graphics to run at 1080p that should take a load off the iGPU right? So the temps should not jump back up to 70.

My cooler is a Scythe Shuriken Rev B. Should I consider buying a water cooling kit like Corsair H80i first?

Idle temp is 29 degrees.

If you have spare thermal paste and want to try the cheap solution first, I would try re-applying the thermal paste and reseating the heatsink first.

Also that does not look like a high performance heatsink, but I have no experience with it.

You could look at a Dark Knight2 which is only $35 I think till end of today or sunday or something. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233029&Tpk=dark%20knight&IsVirtualParent=1

I had one of these on my 3770k and at 4.4ghz 1.2 I was only hitting 68c. I have since moved on to an CLC with higher clocks.

CM212 Hyper +. Make sure you put thermal paste on in a pea size amount and allow the heatsink to spread it across the CPU. Also check your case fans for pet hair/dust.

he is running a tight SFF case, i dont think a tower cooler (even one of the smaller ones) is going to work in his situation

i think you are on the right track of thinking of a different cooling solution as well, i dont think you will accomplish much by going to dual graphics solution as it wont take as much a load off of your iGPU as you think and in the end you will be increasing heat output of your system

if you however do decide to go down the path with getting a discrete card i think you should keep a few things in mind...go with one powerful enough that you would disable your iGPU altogether, for the simple reason that you would be forced to go with a low-range card for dual graphics on that system... which in the end the dual graphics would still get bested by a single upper mid-range card... not to mention the possible headaches of dual graphics

Last edited:
Your temps suck if you're not overclocking. I'm running my A10 at stock core speeds with turbo core off, but I'm overclocking the GPU from 800MHz to 1085MHz and running 2133 RAM. My temps, with a $12 basic Arctic Cooling HSF, max out at 67 degrees under AIDA's system stress test.

Reapply your HSF because something is up.

I was going to suggest this since it was mentioned in the Small Form Factor forum and you have a SFF case: http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=51&lng=en

The problem though is that it's only rated for up to 65W processors. The A10-5800K is 100W.

I did find this though:
http://www.xigmatek.com/product.php?productid=177

Low profile, good for up to 115W, but not sold anywhere in the US.

So, I found an alternative:
http://www.avadirect.com/product_details_parts.asp?PRID=24707

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=3091

It can be used on Intel processors up to Core i7 Socket 2011 and AMD processors up to AMD FX.

I'm thinking a big problem is case airflow with something that small. I'd suggest reapplying the thermal paste as others suggested first, and then get some better case fans and make sure they're set up right. You want a push-pull system though the case, with a slight negative pressure.

I think I may have to invest in a better heatsink.

I might just get the Corsair H60 or 80i, both are on amazon for $65 and $90 respectfully.

I think the issue is the case getting hot because when I remove the side panel that holds the motherboard and let the motherboard breathe while playing the same games @ 1080p the temps do not crack 58 degrees.

I need a small case though so I will have to figure something out.

I've been thinking about doing a mini-itx "steam box" / media center PC using an A10. I know the GPU isn't going to be good enough over 560p or so, but still wouldn't be bad I suppose.

I think I may have to invest in a better heatsink.

I might just get the Corsair H60 or 80i, both are on amazon for $65 and $90 respectfully.

I think the issue is the case getting hot because when I remove the side panel that holds the motherboard and let the motherboard breathe while playing the same games @ 1080p the temps do not crack 58 degrees.

I need a small case though so I will have to figure something out.

If you have a spot for the 120mm fan/rad then that is a great option.

If you have a spot for the 120mm fan/rad then that is a great option.

Problem is that the only spot to put a fan would then be blowing the hot air from the rad back into the case.

And that fan slot is 140 so then I will have to buy a adapter....ugh!

This case really needs a fan at the bottom pushing air up.

Problem is that the only spot to put a fan would then be blowing the hot air from the rad back into the case.

And that fan slot is 140 so then I will have to buy a adapter....ugh!

This case really needs a fan at the bottom pushing air up.

I think the new Corsair H90 is 140mm.

An ITX case is going to be very limited in terms of air flow.

I'm not so sure that you'll get any better CPU temperatures using that case in combination with air cooling.

I've got that HSF on my stock A8K HTPC and it's a good unit. I'll agree with earlier replies to suggest checking HSF mounting/thermal interface first, then checking airflow in the case.
Is your PSU stealing air from the HSF?
Try running with the case open and/or with the PSU outside of it.
You can try swapping a full thickness 120mm fan to that HS if you have room. The stocker is a thin low profile unit.

I have the PS oriented so it does not steal air. The fan is on the opposite side of where the CPU is.

Like I said before, I ran at load with the panel that the motherboard is screwed to removed from the case and out in the open air and the temps never cracked 58 degrees. So the case is the problem.

I just need more airflow inside I think. The box does get toasty.

Looking through some pics of that case and yes, airflow does appear to suck. Dremel time.
I'd open up the side panel grates that feed the front fan if you can do it cleanly so as not to uglify the case. You could probably open up the panel next to the back plate to improve outflow.
Remove the fan grille. Not needed if you can keep your cables away. You could replace the fan with a stronger one if you can put up with the noise at load, or fit a larger fan if you can mod the mounts.
I don't see any good spots to add full size exhaust fans, but paired 60's or 80's may fit.

Or get a case with better airflow. $ or time/effort depending on your inclination.

That's damn expensive for what it is, but certainly easily reversible. There are cheaper slot mounted coolers out there.

That's damn expensive for what it is, but certainly easily reversible. There are cheaper slot mounted coolers out there.

Agreed, but those low cost solutions do not look like they can be reversed which is really what I want. Blowing hot air out the bottom I don't think will do anything.

Kraken x40 is 140mm but expensive

You can mount the fan on either side of any ASETEK style radiator, which is like all closed loop products.

You can always put radiator on the front of the htpc mounted to the front and blow out the front.

Ok so moment of truth...

Installed a Corsair H60 in a exhaust setup not intake..

I can live with these temps in this case after 15 min of Prime! And this was after just installing it.

What a cooler...I guess the trick was to get all the heat from the CPU away from that motherboard area....now just the front panel gets slightly warm...this is great!

tempsr.jpg

img0002hv.jpg

nice job! thats a far cry from what you were having... did the extra cooling add much to the noise output?

nice job! thats a far cry from what you were having... did the extra cooling add much to the noise output?

Not at all...like I said..if it is late at night and quiet in the house I can hear it a bit but nothing substantial.

Back