Question involving cat6 over long lengths/through wall plates

EzeroMobile50K

Limp Gawd
Ok so I'm going to be running about 115 foot of nice monoprice cat6 cabling from the router through the attic and down into a room. My question was should I run the cable directly through the wall and into the switch, or hook it up to a wall plate and run a 6 foot cable from the wall to the switch.

Would the purist is me find any comfort in knowing there is 1 less break in the line? Or will it really not matter at all? The point that the cable will be entering the room will be behind a large desk so it won't be visible. The wall plate offers versatility perhaps for future reasons. Just running the cable through gives one less break in the line, and means I have perfectly good 115 foot cable that could be removed and or replaced for w/e reasons. idk... DECISIONS!

I wouldn't worry about the extra break. In a business environment all runs go to a wall plate and the opposite end terminates into a patch panel.

There may be building codes in your area the require the walls to be sealed off. Something you would have to worry about if you moved.

If you don't need a bunch of drops you could skip using a patch panel and just do:

Device -> Patch Cable-> Wall Plate - Cat5 Cable -> Wall Plate -> Patch Cable -> Router/Switch.

Back