Question of projector screen size in a small room.

DG25

Gawd
I have a small room, 12' x 9.5', what's the biggest 16:9 diagonal i can get with a projector (<1500 usd, 720P)? Can anyone tell me? The problem is i don't know yet what projector i will get, all i know is i want the biggest screen that can fit that room. :D I ask this question because i know projectors need a certain distance for a big diagonal, but i'm not familiar with the technical details.

That depends on the throw distance/zoom on the projector.
How large you want to go, depends on how far your plan to sit.
Basically, at 7-8ft a 92" screen will cause eye strain, or at least it does in my use.
http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

Further just try to pick up a pj with a good zoom range, and you'll be able to determine how large you can go based on where you want to sit.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator-pro.cfm
once you determine where how far away you are going to be sitting, where you are going to mount the projector, use the above calculator to decide if this compatible with the pjs that you are considering.

essentiallly.. dlp = limited zoom range, lcd= crazy zoom range.

And at 1500 you'll be able to find plenty of canidates, and you should be able to get a 1080p pj.

Getting an epson 8350 for 1100, leaving you plenty of money for a capable screen. Getting one of the Ultra contrast pjs, wont' make a huge difference if you don't have light control, and you picked the color of the room wisely.

Thanks for the links, i appreciate. :)

When you say it can cause eye strain, does this occurs even for a <2 hour usage?

And what about the viewing angle? I see that the maximum recommended is 36 degree (THX standard); what happens if i go over that, say, a 45 degree viewing angle?

Also, in the case i sit too close to a big projected image and combined with a video game (be it from PC or a console), will i see pixels or any image artifacts, like when you sit too close to a big LCD/plasma screen?

For 1500, You definitely should be looking 1080p. Especially with gaming on the table. Close range at ~100" 1080p will still have noticeable pixel pitch, and 720p at that size would not be something I'd want to game on.

Are you throwing the image along the 12' length, or the 9'? Or is that completely open?

What will be an acceptable diagonal for gaming in 720P, from a distance of 10.5-11 feet? I'm saying 720P because i want a LED projector, and there aren't any 1080P available in that budget. I want to stay away form lamp projectors, because of the heat generated (in summer it gets hot in this room) and high power draw.

The image will be projected on the 9 feet wall.

Anyone? As games are not as forgiving as movies, in terms of image (especially those from consoles, without sharp textures and high AA), what will be a maximal, suitable diagonal for a viewing distance of 10 feet? In 720p. For movies i kinda got my answer from the first link posted by avddreamr, though i still want to know what negative effects appear if the viewing angle gets as high as 45 degree (vs the recommended 26-36)...Only eye strain or more than that? In cinemas i usually like to sit in the second or third row, it makes for a more immersive experience for me.

My old 3 gun projector in my little 12x12 room projected a 108" 4:3 image.
screen02.jpg

and a 2.35:1 image
screen01.jpg

I personally would look at Panasonic Projectors.
My friend has a nice model and at 150" playing Planet Earth BluRay, it looks as sharp and clean as my 42" Panasonic Plasma.

Back