Question on a cheap pump, 12V 15A

That is a diaphragm pump and is serious overkill for PC cooling. High amperage. I use Flojets and Shureflow's versions of that for portable water purifier systems. Not really what you need for a PC WC system. Just get a purpose build pump. They aren't much more than $21...

they usually go for 2x to 3x. I'm thinking this could be used under powered for an external rad box.

There is no doubt it would work. And you'd have serious flow rates. :D But take a listen to one of those pumps and tell me if you want to listen to that all the time. ;) Under load, they sound like a muffled RC car engine; vary audible. That's just the nature of a diaphragm pump.

Purpose build pumps will be quieter, have the right hose fittings, the correct power requirements and connectors, proper flow rates AND many have a built-in reservoir. You'll need to purchase or make one if you go with this pump. The price gap between homebrew and premade starts to narrow.... :)

Well it's 21 bucks... I've been wanting to build external rad box. I'll test to see the noise this outputs. Got some spare 12v DC adapters ranging from 1A to 6A.

PAR-Max 4 Electric Diaphragm Pump w/ 12 Volt DC Motor (12VDC). Continuous rated Washdown / livewell Pump. Saltwater or freshwater use. Ports : 3/4" ID hose. c/w

It'll need an adapter for 1/2 ID tubing

I've got video of one of my systems running with a pump that is slightly smaller. I'll post a link to it when I get home and find it. That'll give you a decent idea of how loud it is.

You keep mentioning it's only $21. And that's true, but there are hidden costs to any DIY. Trust me, I'm a DIY junky. :D

Well i have all the parts...except the 3/4 Id to 1/2 ID converter, I think. What else would I need?

Reservoir. And the fittings, as you mentioned.

Two pump/reservoirs solutions for $50:
X20 450
X20 DC-750

I'm all for this DIY. I'd love to see this materialize! :D

Here is a video of one of my systems running. You can kind of see the pump just between the right two filters, mounted vertically. Noisy :) Around 00:37 is finally fills all the filters and UV tube and quiets down a bit, but no much, haha. But of course noise is of no concern in this application.

+24hr-for-going-through-the-trouble-to-post-awesome-video-for-OP-and-no-response bump. ;)

Yes that is a loud pump... Even if you do throttle one like that back, it will still be pretty noisy. The performance may also degrade heavily the lower you go.

Back