Question on motherboard standoffs

legcramp

[H]F Junkie
Anyways, my old but good condition Antec Performance case has a few problems with the brass screwed in motherboard standoffs.

They are ruined since when the brass standoffs are tighten all the way, they still move, which means the threads are wiped away.

I am looking for those plastic ones, but do you guys know which specific version I would need?

http://70.169.170.235/acatalog/Motherboard_Standoffs.html

There are two types, the "sliding" ones and the "hole" ones.

Thanks for your help.

retap the threads?

just an idea...you can get a pretty nice tap set for cheap, i think i paid $10 for my kobalt set and it has been used a bunch with never any issues

nate

tapping is pretty easy actually. you just have to go slow. essentially it is like putting a wood screw into...well...wood. you are using a piece of metal stronger than the metal you are tapping to "screw in" the tap. so put the size tap you need in the hole and begin "tapping" into the hole.

this is done by turning clock-wise a small amount...say a 16th of a full turn or even less. then go back a bit counter clock-wise. so you slowly work your way into the metal. each time go a tad further clockwise

Normally the mobo tray is fine and just the standoff threads get stripped so retapping the tray isn't necessary. I find that the plastic ones strip out super easy, so it may be best to just post a WTB thread in the trade section and see if anyone can help you out.

You could find standoffs that are hexagonal in shape and threaded for a machine screw at both ends (or all the way through). Then just use a screw to hold the standoff to the motherboard tray - no threaded tray holes required.

Tapping the holes would work, but if they stripped the first time, they will likely strip again.

I am looking for those plastic ones, but do you guys know which specific version I would need?

http://70.169.170.235/acatalog/Motherboard_Standoffs.html

There are two types, the "sliding" ones and the "hole" ones.

Thanks for your help.

If your threads are stripped, none of those standoffs will work. The hole and sliding types need special holes on the motherboard tray to accommodate them. The only thing you can really do is retap the threads as others have suggested, or you could look for some standoffs with larger threads than the ones you're using, which would hold in better.

There is nylon ones on ebay, I linked some here but my post has been removed....?

So not sure if that is against some rule or what, so I wont link them but here is the title of the ones I planned to get on ebay. If you get them, let me know how you like em >>>

Nylon Hex Threaded M/F 6-32 Standoff 3/8", 25 pieces

Back