Question on removing processor

dbaldus

Gawd
A friend of mine called me last night and was about to swap motherboards so he wanted to take out his 939 3700+ processor and didn't know how. I told him just to release that lever on the side of the socket and then pull the processor straight up. He couldn't get it to work, but then I realized that I have never actually replaced a processor on my own and that maybe there was more to it (I've only read about it).

Is what I described to him correct, or is there more to taking out a 939 processor than just lifting the lever on the side of the socket and then pulling the processor out? Yep, makes me feel like a noob, but I've had the same processor for the 3 years that I've actually been building computers and have never done the processor part myself! :p

Taking out should not be a problem but remember to take the HSF off before you try taking the processor out. It just wont happen, :p

Also it has a triangle in the corner so you match it in socket when putting it in.

pull the lever over about 1/8", then up all the way. the cpu might rise a tiny bit. grab it by opposing sides or corners and lift it out. tell the guy to be very very careful, those pins bend with almost no pressure. and like the above guy says, theres a little gold triangle on the cpu that lines up with a little triangle on the socket when you reinsert. if you try to push it in when its lined up wrong, you will bend the pins. certain heatsinks actually will yank the cpu out of the socket when you remove it.

dbaldus said:
A friend of mine called me last night and was about to swap motherboards so he wanted to take out his 939 3700+ processor and didn't know how. I told him just to release that lever on the side of the socket and then pull the processor straight up. He couldn't get it to work, but then I realized that I have never actually replaced a processor on my own and that maybe there was more to it (I've only read about it).

Is what I described to him correct, or is there more to taking out a 939 processor than just lifting the lever on the side of the socket and then pulling the processor out? Yep, makes me feel like a noob, but I've had the same processor for the 3 years that I've actually been building computers and have never done the processor part myself! :p

Is it that the heatsink is stuck solid to the CPU?
If so, free the cooler from its mounts and slide it off the CPU as much as possible before lifting it. Try and rock it to break the air tight seal caused by the heatsink paste.
Be careful not to exert too much pressure or pull too hard or the CPU will lift out of the socket, possibly pulling legs off.

I've ripped my A64 3000+ out of its socket twice now as the heatsink just would not separate. It has survived so far but does worry me.

Can anyone suggest a way of breaking the heatsink paste seal easily?

you can remove the heatsink off the cpu by removing the fan and using a hairdryer to blow hot air down between the fins of the heatsink.it gets the base of the heatsink hot and you can swivel the heatsink back and forth with slight upward force and it comes right off.this method works great.ive been using this method now for 2 or more years.the thermal paste gets cool and glues itself to the cpu.the heat from the hairdryer softens the paste and you cant believe how easy it comes off.you only have to blow the hairdryer on high between the fins for about 30-45 seconds and off it comes.i twist it back and forth and on 1 corner while twisting lift up slightly .try this and youll use this method all the time....good luck........

Warming the heatsink up is easy enough simply by running the PC for a while first and making sure the CPU is getting plenty of work.

If the heatsink is 'stuck' then a careful but firm twisting motion is best to break the seal. Use a little bit of downward pressure and twist the thing back and fro switching between clockwise and anticlockwise. It'll let go soon enough, and you're not risking ripping the CPU out of the socket as much ;)

Back