Question on Thermalright U-120 ex

acee

Gawd
Well after discovering by research on this section. It seems thermalright is the most high rated heatsink out there. I've been meaning to change my current zalaman heatsink as its not as quiet as I expect it to be... now my question is..

1. Will this fit into my Antec 900?
2. Is this true.. very silent heatsink?
3. Do I need to attach the fan to it or leave it as is?

Can't say about 1 (probably yes, but I don't have that case), but..

2. It could be, but it depends on what fan you fit to it - it doesn't come with one.
3. Hence, yes, you need to fit a 120mm fan.

Yes it will fit into an Antec 900.

Depending on what motherboard you have if you want to install the 120mm fan on the side panel you will need to round off the corner of the fan on the side panel.
With my Gigabyte DS3L I needed to mount the heatsink horizontally with the airflow going up into the 200mm fan to fit the side panel fan on. With my Abit IP35 Pro I could have the ultra120 extreme mounted vertically.

It's a quiet heatsink if you mount a quiet fan on it, and loud if you toss a loud fan on it. :cool:

well i currently have a side fan running on my antec 900.. is that enough to allow airflow through the ultra 120? Or do I need to add a 120mm to it?

My Mobo is the 680i

I'll probably be picking up one of these within the next two weeks. I have an Antec P182 case and I believe it will fit into that without much trouble. I believe it will also fit in the Antec 900 case but I recommend you measure the room you have inside the case and then look at how much room the heatsink is going to take up.

As stated previously, it does not come with a fan which means you will need to purchase a 120mm fan to go with it.

They are expensive heatsinks which get more expensive by needing a fan to go with them, but they seem to the best there is for cooling until you get into the midrange for watercooling. The system I'm going to put mine on currently has an original EXOS on it and I'm pretty sure this heatsink will actually lower my temps. It seems the Ultima90 with 120mm fan gives better temps than my old Koolance setup.

Since I won't have the money for a couple weeks from the person buying my EXOS, I'm just waiting in the hopes that I can find one of these heatsinks on sale somewhere.

well i currently have a side fan running on my antec 900.. is that enough to allow airflow through the ultra 120? Or do I need to add a 120mm to it?

My Mobo is the 680i

I would suggest getting a fan to attach to the heatsink. The side fan on the 900 will be pushing air at the motherboard rather than through the fins on the heatsink. While it might work, it will not work nearly as well as having a fan on the heatsink itself.

With the fan right above the heatsink pulling air out the top of the case, you may want to mount the heatsink so it pushes the air up to that fan. I'm thinking about doing that with mine once I get it in.

Do I need to attach the fan to it or leave it as is?

Yeah I would strongly advise using a fan but my setup uses a T-balancer fan controller which has the ability to turn fans off completely. I have it setup with a home theatre profile where the fan only comes on when the CPU speedfan temp gets toasty. As a reult the fan is often not on and that is with a Q6600.

I'll probably be picking up one of these within the next two weeks. I have an Antec P182 case and I believe it will fit into that without much trouble. I believe it will also fit in the Antec 900 case but I recommend you measure the room you have inside the case and then look at how much room the heatsink is going to take up.

As stated previously, it does not come with a fan which means you will need to purchase a 120mm fan to go with it.

They are expensive heatsinks which get more expensive by needing a fan to go with them, but they seem to the best there is for cooling until you get into the midrange for watercooling. The system I'm going to put mine on currently has an original EXOS on it and I'm pretty sure this heatsink will actually lower my temps. It seems the Ultima90 with 120mm fan gives better temps than my old Koolance setup.

Since I won't have the money for a couple weeks from the person buying my EXOS, I'm just waiting in the hopes that I can find one of these heatsinks on sale somewhere.

No problem fitting it in my P182 with a GB DS3R mobo.

I don't see how this heatsink is considered expensive... on NCIX its only $65.. while my zalaman cost me over $75 but this was almost a year ago..

you do not need a fan for it if you are not planning on overclocking.

I can run my q6600 at default settings with no fan and my proc temps are 32,30,31,31 idle and 41,38,39,39 load using boinc(would get a bit hotter with prime)

if you are looking fora quiet box, this monster will suck the heat right out of any proc...

My Mobo is the 680i

I have an Antec 900 and the Thermalright won't fit in the case with a 120MM fan attached to the side panel. The edge of the fan will sit on top of the heatsink and you won't be able to close the side panel, its just too tall. You'll need to just stick that 120MM fan onto the heatsink.

ive been meaning to take out the side fan for a while but leaving it there gives the case a nice little blue effect which I like haha.. but until i get my cold cathodes soon it will be gone!

I don't see how this heatsink is considered expensive... on NCIX its only $65.. while my zalaman cost me over $75 but this was almost a year ago..

Ya, but the Zalman is really expensive! I went from the 9700 to the TRUE 120. A good place to buy is Crazy PC. You might as well get a recommened Scythe fan and add the lapping option. Most of these need lapped. Add a tube of TIM and shipping, and your hitting $100.00.

its still not considered TO expensive for such goods.... I was exactly thinking $150-$250 range price for one of these as you guys kept saying how expensive this HS was... this was before I went on NCIX and search for it.. for a little while I thought I was searching the wrong one but it turned out to be the legit one ;):rolleyes:

I have an Antec 900 and the Thermalright won't fit in the case with a 120MM fan attached to the side panel. The edge of the fan will sit on top of the heatsink and you won't be able to close the side panel, its just too tall. You'll need to just stick that 120MM fan onto the heatsink.

Or you could get creative with a dremel and cut off the corner of the fan that is in the way. ;)

Back