question re: shrouds

seniorpaul

Limp Gawd
I"ve got a couple of quick questions regarding shrouds, as i'm working on an external watercooling setup. It's my understanding that a shroud is used to basically put a little bit of distance between your fan and rad to improve airflow when your using a push configuration. How much space is needed? I'm planing on using Yate Loon 120mm fans and a Thermochill PA120.3.

Also, is there any benefit to adding a shroud when your using a Pull config? If so, how much space is needed in this situation?

Actually, the purpose of a shroud is to use the whole surface of the rad and not just the circle of the fan. If you mount the fan flush against the rad in either push or pull config it will only move air through the part of the rad that the blades cover, not including the dead spot in the center.

As for teh thermochill rads, I think there are shouds pre-fabbed for them available on the net, and they work pretty well. But, generally 3/4" to an inch usually works really well, but still a little is better than none.

Back