[QUESTION] XBOX controller on PC

CHDA80

Limp Gawd
I am looking to get an XBOX controller to play some games on my PC. Question is do I need the "Play and Charge" kit for it to work properly?

No. you need the xbox wireless receiver for windows.
of course if you wait a month and you have windows 10 you can get the xbox one receiver. and just go that route. I've had the wireless receiver for 6+ years and it works great.

PS4 controller works good too with Input Mapper...
once in a while it will have a snag disconnect think he's working out the bugs with Windows 10
I would get a X-ONE controller with a cord if anything if that is possible.

https://www.inputmapper.com/

You can do what I'm currently doing. Grab an Xbox One controller. You will need the charge cable for now, but IIRC, any microUSB cable will work. The cable both provides power and transmits data. This will get you working wired until the wireless receiver comes out. When that device releases, just add it in and you'll have both wired and wireless options.

I am looking to get an XBOX controller to play some games on my PC. Question is do I need the "Play and Charge" kit for it to work properly?

I have no experience with an XBox One controller, but I've used lots of xbox controllers over the years with my PC (Xbox and Xbox 360).

You absolutely don't want the play and charge kit. The only thing it will do is charge the battery. It won't allow you to connect the controller to the pc to use it.

To connect it to the PC, you will either need the wireless receiver or a wired controller to make it work.

The XBox One controller may be different, but I don't think it is...

Thanks everyone for your help. I got a wired 360 controller for now.

I prefer the wired Xbox 360 controller, but wireless with the receiver is also nice.

The real question is when the fuck is MS coming out with teh wireless adapter for the XB1 controller. It's been months since they announced it and literally nothing else has been mentioned of it on the entire internet since.

So the wireless adapter for the Xbox One controller will only work on Windows 10? Does that make any sense.

The real question is when the fuck is MS coming out with teh wireless adapter for the XB1 controller. It's been months since they announced it and literally nothing else has been mentioned of it on the entire internet since.

Waiting for this as well. Meanwhile the 360 wireless works great.

Somewhere between October and November from what I remember. You can already preorder on newegg and amazon.

No. you need the xbox wireless receiver for windows.
of course if you wait a month and you have windows 10 you can get the xbox one receiver. and just go that route. I've had the wireless receiver for 6+ years and it works great.

This, I love that receiver. Also FYI it works on Android devices as well! Tried it out the other day on my Shield tablet (hooked up to my TV too via HDMI) for the hell of it and got 2 360 controllers to pair with it for multiplayer games on SNES/N64 emulators. :cool:

Definitely interested in the Xbox One wireless controller dongle.
While not the greatest solution, I've found that using the PS4 controller as a USB wired controller works pretty well. Not as well as the 360 controller, but I like it for games that use a d-pad. For instance, it's much quicker to dash in street fighter using a d-pad than an analog stick.

after using the wireless 360 pad for years if finally upgraded to a wired xbox one pad. I now am going back and enjoying games that work best with the d-pad. THe 360 d-pad remains an abomination and most pc games that use thumbsticks are better served with a mouse and keyboard anyway.

This info is specific to the XBox 360 controller, not the Xbox One controller.

No, you do not need the play and charge kit. The wireless controller runs on standard AA batteries. If you get the Play and Charge kit you get the rechargeable battery and USB charging plug. The USB charging plug ONLY provides power, not data. The wireless controller will still require the wireless receiver.

You used to be able to buy the XBox 360 Wireless controller for Windows as a single package with the controller and the wireless receiver included. Then you would buy the Play and Charge pack separate. I guess near EOL for the 360 they changed that policy and you have to buy the controller and the receiver separate. You can always buy the wired version of the controller and not have to worry about anything else.

The Xbox One controller is a completely separate animal. As of right now, you can buy the wireless controller and plug it in via USB only. The USB supplies power AND data. The wireless signal is proprietary, and MS announced a few months ago they are finally working on the separate USB receiver for windows (still unreleased).

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
after using the wireless 360 pad for years if finally upgraded to a wired xbox one pad. I now am going back and enjoying games that work best with the d-pad. THe 360 d-pad remains an abomination and most pc games that use thumbsticks are better served with a mouse and keyboard anyway.

Everytime that I read this statement I almost order a XBOX One controller. The cheap skate side of me just can't do it with 360 controllers priced so low. :)

I believe the Xbox one wireless controller receiver is set to drop at the end of December. As for now, I use the wireless receiver for a 360 controller and its great. I'm about to pick up an Xbox one controller but I don't wanna spend the moneys

I just looked at some Xbox One controllers and the wireless dongle.
Why is that dongle so large? It looks as big as my FireStick and that is a small computer, while the xbox dongle is just a simple transceiver.

I have both a wired and wireless xbox controller, was using the wired one in the garage and decided to grab the dongle and a wireless controller from upstairs and use that instead, the wire was just getting in the way, and it is really long.
I use Eneloop batteries in it and always have a fresh pair ready to go in.

I know it costs way too much, but I'm really interested in the new Xbox One "Elite" controller. It looks like the last gamepad you'll ever need on the surface. Granted, I want to see one in person before I'll drop $150 bones on it, though.

I got a WIRED 360 controller with an old Target giftcard back in the day, no wireless BS, it's USB. Just plug it in and go.

This info is specific to the XBox 360 controller, not the Xbox One controller.

No, you do not need the play and charge kit. The wireless controller runs on standard AA batteries. If you get the Play and Charge kit you get the rechargeable battery and USB charging plug. The USB charging plug ONLY provides power, not data. The wireless controller will still require the wireless receiver.

You used to be able to buy the XBox 360 Wireless controller for Windows as a single package with the controller and the wireless receiver included. Then you would buy the Play and Charge pack separate. I guess near EOL for the 360 they changed that policy and you have to buy the controller and the receiver separate. You can always buy the wired version of the controller and not have to worry about anything else.

The Xbox One controller is a completely separate animal. As of right now, you can buy the wireless controller and plug it in via USB only. The USB supplies power AND data. The wireless signal is proprietary, and MS announced a few months ago they are finally working on the separate USB receiver for windows (still unreleased).

This is super helpful. Thank you. I returned the 360 one and got a "wired One controller for windows" and it actually had a wireless controller in the box without the batteries so could I just get 3rd party rechargeable AA batteries and be set?

I believe the Xbox one wireless controller receiver is set to drop at the end of December. As for now, I use the wireless receiver for a 360 controller and its great. I'm about to pick up an Xbox one controller but I don't wanna spend the moneys

You mean this?

Nov 3rd.

This is super helpful. Thank you. I returned the 360 one and got a "wired One controller for windows" and it actually had a wireless controller in the box without the batteries so could I just get 3rd party rechargeable AA batteries and be set?

Yup. You won't need the batteries until the wireless dongle is available though. The USB cable provides power and data with the Xbone controller I've been using one for a while now, and it works as flawlessly as the 360 controller. The only downside is that I find the analog sticks seem to collect all kinds of dirt/dead skin from your hands (probably due to the little grip spikes).

amazon.de has the wireless dongle release date set on 20th October... Wonder if MS releases the thing in EU faster than in US. Price is about 20 euro.

Back