Questions about Altiris.

Keiichi

[H]ard|Gawd
Does anyone know how much it costs to get setup with an Altiris management solution?

It really depends on how large your organization is, and what level of support you would like. Your best bet is to contact them, but I think it runs about $20-30 per client license (per computer the client is installed on).

There are other options too, although, I personally have only worked with Altiris (and like it for the most part).

I absolutely despise Altiris. I took over the IT department at the company I work at and spent countless hours removing it from all the client PC. It honestly has to be the most bloated piece of software I've ever dealt with.

Make sure you know what you're getting into before sinking money into a solution like Altiris.

I absolutely despise Altiris. I took over the IT department at the company I work at and spent countless hours removing it from all the client PC. It honestly has to be the most bloated piece of software I've ever dealt with.

Make sure you know what you're getting into before sinking money into a solution like Altiris.

Before Symantec took over, Altiris was not a bad system. Deployment Solution 6.5 and 6.8 have been running (somewhat well) for quite awhile.

Do you have a better solution that you implemented?

Before Symantec took over, Altiris was not a bad system. Deployment Solution 6.5 and 6.8 have been running (somewhat well) for quite awhile.

Do you have a better solution that you implemented?

Yea, it's called an efficient network administrator, haha:p

Honestly, our company doesn't require such a robust solution. I use Real VNC to perform remote maintenance. I manage Windows updates via WSUS, and really don't need to do much more on a company-wide level other than stuff managed through the severs or A/D.

What's your primary need for Altiris?

Honestly, our company doesn't require such a robust solution. I use Real VNC to perform remote maintenance. I manage Windows updates via WSUS, and really don't need to do much more on a company-wide level other than stuff managed through the severs or A/D.

Creating and deploying images via PXE boot using RapiDeploy is always nice. Also, I dont see how you don't have the need to patch, upgrade and install any software other than Windows Updates. What would you do if you had to roll out an application company-wide, VNC to every machine? Also, the Altiris Console is great for keeping an inventory of all machines with the Client installed. You can search and filter by an extensive amount of hardware and software parameters. You can keep all your deployment jobs on the server, as well as a history of what machines have run which jobs. Also, the RIP creation tool is great for building any custom packages that do not include an unattended install.

I think that it is a great all-around management server if you know how to properly use it. It alone has saved me countless days of work.

Deployment and Asset management.

Basically I have about 100 users and about five servers that I want to be able to keep track of to help measure TCO. Maintanence isn't too much of a big deal. The only other product I know of is the Kace Kboxes and MOM. Both of which are pricey.

I would recommend Altiris. Express Metrix is another option for Asset Management, but personally I dislike it.

Deployment and Asset management.

Basically I have about 100 users and about five servers that I want to be able to keep track of to help measure TCO. Maintanence isn't too much of a big deal. The only other product I know of is the Kace Kboxes and MOM. Both of which are pricey.

I'm an Altiris Administrator and have been for several years. The solution isn't cheap but there's nothing that I've not been able to do with the tool. We currently have TMS, essentially every solution Symantec sells with the exception of the Security Suite. Overkill, yes but our Asset Manager spends money like water, and we're still in phase 1 setup which includes Deployment Solution with 8 remote offices doing PXE redirection, Notification Solution with: Asset Management, Software Delivery, Inventory, Application Metering, Carbon Copy Remote and I'm about to start configuring our Package Servers with Task Server agents. Further down the line we're looking at using the Helpdesk Solution but that's way down the line.

Honestly if you're just looking for Deployment Solution for PC images, and an Asset Management solution it shouldn't cost that much but it's not going to be super cheap. However you get what you pay for. Altiris is extremely robust and I've yet to find anything that I couldn't do with it. There's really no complete solution that offers all the ability that Altiris can provide without going through several 3rd parties.

It has it's quirks, and some things are a bit unintuitive but I still find it to be the best bang for the buck. I know you've been asking about cost, however I'm not privy to those conversations. I just ask for more licenses as I need them and they buy them. I don't get the quotes.

If you have any specific questions please don't hesitate to ask. I feel like a salesman but in reality Altiris has been my bread and butter for the last several years and is what got me my current job setting up this environment. The only real competition I've seen was LANDesk but it really can't hold a candle to this.

How many nodes do you have in your organization?

FUD. You can remove the agents with from the command line that can be sent to all your machines with a batch file/vbscript/etc.

Back