Questions about building first HTPC

gr0m45

n00b
Hey guys,

Been trolling the forums for a good while now trying read up on HTPC components, and what will work best for me. I basically want to do everything with my system; replace my current Sony DVD player, use as PVR for DirecTV, rip DVDs, store mp3s, and hook into my Dolby Digital receiver and get 5.1. Here is what I will use:

Silverstone LC17 Case
Asus A8V SE Deluxe case (kind of big)
A64 3500+
1GB RAM
200 GB HD
Some sound card with SPDIF out

Here are my questions:

1) What is a good, quite DVD drive?

2) Can I use MCE for everything, including PVR? If not, would it be better to use a single program, such as SageTV, for everything instead of MCE?

3) Are there packages available that I can buy that include a Hauppage 150, remote, and good software?

4) How much of a pain is it to setup PVR with DirecTV? I don't have a serial interface on my receiver.

5) If I buy the nVideo DVD playback codec, does it really matter what kind of video card I put in the system?

Sorry for all of the questions, and thanks in advance for any help.

1) I don't know, but I use AnyDVD to keep the drive at 1x speed to keep it quiet.

2) I use seperate software to rip the DVD's outside of the HTPC software you choose. I use DVD Decryptor, AnyDVD ripper/Clone DVD, and DVD shrink depending on what I'm doing. I also rip the dvd's on my desktop PC which is faster an dmore convenient for me. Just my two cents.

3) I think PC Alchemy has bundles. Avoid the Hauppauge remotes like the plague. For either MCE or SageTV the Microsoft MCE remote is fantastic.

Also, there are better cards out there than the PVR-150. I'm sure others will post there thoughts. If you can find an nVidia Dual TV thats a great dual tuner card. Get 2 tuners to start as well, you'll be happier after you've used your HTPC for a bit and realize have two tuners was the way to go from the start. You'll need two Sat boxes for this of course though which you may not want to pay for. But again, just my 2 cents.

4) Depending on the Sat box and software you use a USB-UIRT will control it. Google for your combo to see if it will work. You could also get a USB to serial adaptor. If you use MCE with the MS MCE remote it has an IR blaster built in for up to two boxes. For SageTV you'd need serial control or the USB-UIRT.

5) It absolutely matters what kind of video card you get. The Purevideo codec hooks into nVidia based cards to improve the picture quite a bit. More expensive cards tend to do more stuff to imporve the picture.

Thanks for your reply.

I looked up some info on my particular DTV receiver, it is the D10-300, which has a low-speed data port that was covered by a black sticker.... I wonder why they did that? If I can't get that up and going, I guess I would have to use an IR blaster (?). Would this hook into my tuner card?

You mentioned getting a dual tuner card, is the Hauppage PVR-500 a dual tuner card? Could you recommend another?

So the Microsoft MCE remote will work with SageTV? I read that it would only with XP Media Center.

I've used the Hauppage PVR500 and am now using the Nvidia dual tv. I'm a bit happier with the dual tv.

Not sure what other equipment you are using, but my LOVES the Harmony remote I bought for her. Controls the receiver, tv, and MCE seamlessly.

I just bought the BeyondTV, nVidia Dual TV, and Firefly bundle from BeyondTV. I just heard of people having more success using BeyondTV as PVR with DirecTV.

i use BT and BM with cable and I like it.. i have 3 Link machines and 1 server and it all works well together...

have fun :)

Back