Questions about memtest86 3.5

iamfett

Weaksauce
Just downloaded it and burned the image to a dvdr- (didn't have any blank cds) will this still work?
And can I (is it recomended) run memtest while my computer is overclocked, or do i have to reset bios back to stock?
Since I've never used this app. before, some advice on how to run it and what to do(settings?) would be greatly appreciated.

-Thanks

Last edited:
Yes DVD is fine, yes it's normal to run it when overclocked, just pop it in, reboot and let it run overnight (the longer it runs without erroring, the more sure you can be that your memory is stable)

Thanks, are there any settings I have to set before running the program?

The MemTest86 v. 3.5x menu allows some of the timing parameters to be altered. I don't believe in overclocking, but if the memory won't run reliably with any of the parameters sped up, it probably can't be trusted.

Another way to overclock the memory is with an SPD editor, like SPDtool, and I found that my Micron PC6400 modules made with Micron or Samsung chips and rated for 6-6-6-18 could run faster than Corsair, Patriot, and OCZ rated for 4-5-5-15 or 5-5-5-15. If you try this, don't edit all the SPDs because you'll need a module that works if you overclock too much and have to restore the original SPD settings.

Back