Questions about partitions

Raxxath

Limp Gawd
Let me start by saying that some of these questions may seem rather obvious to you guys, but I honestly don't know much on the subject, as I haven't had much experience. Basically, I want two completely separate computers in one. Can creating two partitions on a hard drive accomplish this?

1. Will all settings be different between the two? Perhaps a better question is, will any settings be the same?

2. Will spyware, viruses, anything like that on one partition affect the other at all? Not that I'm in the habit of keeping spyware and viruses around, but its important to know.

3. Over time, I eventually find the need to reformat my computer, because it becomes bloated with stuff I don't need. It also slows down noticeably, especially during boot-up. If this occurs on one partition, will it affect the other?

4. Will overclocking in the BIOS affect both partitions? How about overclocking on the software level, in something like Rivatuner?

5. Am I correct in thinking that having two partitions is pretty much the same thing as dual booting operating systems, except that they're the same OS?

Thanks for listening to my (possibly) stupid questions. :p Any answers would be very appreciated.

1. A separate install of Windows on a different partition will be mostly separate, provided that they're not sharing any folders - they'll both be able to see each others' partitions, so programs searching local disks will find the other install, and if you run programs from the same folder on both OSes they may keep settings that are stored in their own folders (though this is bad behaviour, especially on Vista - it should be stored in the Registry, which will not be shared). A few programs may decide they really want to be installed in C:\ whether you wanted them there or not. Notably, the bootloader will be shared - it has to be, to offer the choice of both OSes.

2. They may. As above, applications can see both partitions from either OS, so they could conceivably put files on the other partition. This applies especially to executable viruses, though they're fairly rare now. I wouldn't expect spyware to cross-infect the other partition, but it definitely could and might.

3. If you format the partition that contains the bootloader, you will lose access to the other partition unless you take steps to make the other partition the boot one. You may also end up with duplicate bootloader entries (though quite possibly not), but they can be removed if you do.

4. Overclocking on the BIOS will affect any and all OSes on the system. Overclocking with software will not, unless the software is actually making changes in the BIOS or flashing firmware. RivaTuner does not, to my knowledge.

5. It is a form of dual-booting, yes.

What do you want completely separate computers for? You may be able to do what you want using virtual machines, depending on what it is.

Well, for example, I would want one for games only, very little else. The other would be for web-browsing, more work related things, storage, etc. I really just want them to be entirely separate, except on the BIOS level of course.

For #3 up there, I was asking if the slow-down would affect the other partition, not the reformatting. But seeing how partitions aren't as separate as I had imagined, I assume it would. Would using two different operating systems keep everything completely separate?

I don't know anything about virtual machines, you'll have to explain that a little to me.

I understand what you are trying to do. There is another way. Less complicated depending on what angle you look at it. Check out this website that has instructions for setting up "services profiles".

For XP
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/xpprofiles.htm

there are also Vista Guides. I hope a flame war dosen't happen over this.

The slow-down wouldn't necessarily affect the other partition, as it tends to be an accumulation of unnecessary Windows drivers, startup programs etc. rather than just files on the disk.

Virtual machines probably wouldn't work for you though; it's running a virtual computer running an OS inside another OS. Because the virtual computer isn't real, it can be kept entirely separate - but because it's emulating a computer it wouldn't work for games.

I understand what you are trying to do. There is another way. Less complicated depending on what angle you look at it. Check out this website that has instructions for setting up "services profiles".

For XP
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/xpprofiles.htm

That looks pretty good to me, but are you positive it keeps everything separate?

Virtual machines probably wouldn't work for you though; it's running a virtual computer running an OS inside another OS. Because the virtual computer isn't real, it can be kept entirely separate - but because it's emulating a computer it wouldn't work for games.

Understood. I'm still wondering if dual booting XP and Vista would keep things completely separate like I want. Different operating systems can't share files like partitions, can they? Thank you both for the help so far. :)

No, it won't keep anything separate, but it will turn off all of the "bloat" that you are concerned about keeping off of your "gaming" partition. Having files on your gaming partition has virtually nothing to do with gaming performance. Having excessive services and processes running has more to do with impacting gaming performance.

If I understand you correctly, you want to have a redundant Windows partition to dual boot into just to improve gaming performance, you are trying to swat flies with a sledgehammer. There are better ways.

If you want both OSes to be completely separate, get another hard drive and a removeable drive cage. Pop in whichever hard drive you want to boot from, and you're off.

The big picture though, is you won't see very much in terms of a performance difference by running two different profiles. Considering the hardware available in today's computers, you don't really need to do all of this anymore. All you need is one install to keep running smooth, and you're fine. Run the necessary AV software and use your head, and malware won't be a problem, either.

No, it won't keep anything separate, but it will turn off all of the "bloat" that you are concerned about keeping off of your "gaming" partition. Having files on your gaming partition has virtually nothing to do with gaming performance. Having excessive services and processes running has more to do with impacting gaming performance.

If I understand you correctly, you want to have a redundant Windows partition to dual boot into just to improve gaming performance, you are trying to swat flies with a sledgehammer. There are better ways.

Its not entirely about gaming and performance, but also peace of mind. I'm very careful about what I do- I run AVG, anti-spyware, and Firefox with the no-script addon. Even so, a friend told me they saw my character online when it couldn't have been me. I've never given my password out or anything like, so it had me a bit worried.

If you want both OSes to be completely separate, get another hard drive and a removeable drive cage. Pop in whichever hard drive you want to boot from, and you're off.

That is what I want, but I don't want to have to mess with hardware each time I use the computer. I don't mind buying another drive if I have to, but I thought it would more simple than this.

I originally planned on building two computers, before it dawned on me that I might be able to consolidate them into one. I was under the impression that dual-booting XP and Vista kept everything -completely- apart. If they do, and there's no simpler way to accomplish this, I don't mind paying the extra money for two operating systems. It would still be cheaper and easier to manage than two computers. So, is dual-booting what I want?

Probably. However, just keep in mind that if one OS is infected with malware, it is possible to infect both. Make sure you keep your application installs separate, and keep good AV software running on both.

Probably. However, just keep in mind that if one OS is infected with malware, it is possible to infect both. Make sure you keep your application installs separate, and keep good AV software running on both.

I don't think that is what I want, then. :(

Is there any way I can accomplish this, other than building two computers? I know its a tall order, and may not make sense to you guys, but I need a solution that keeps them -entirely- separate.

You'll need 2 separate hard drives. Run the power to the hard drives thru a DPDT switch mounted onto the front of your case. Then you can select which hard drive powers up when you press the power button.

Way I did it back in the days of IDE...

Most drive cages have a lock on them. With it locked it'll be powered and your computer will see the drive, with it not locked it won't. (Lock keeps you from pulling it out when it's powered)

Set your computer to boot from the drive sled position first, internal HDD second.

Now if you have the sled locked in place it'll boot from the sled. Want to change? Power down. Unlock it. Power up. You'll boot from the internal HDD.

Just remember not to lock/unlock on the fly...

Now with eSATA available, you may be able to go with an external drive and just plug/unplug it (and not have to worry about making sure you're powered off when you do so)

Back