Questions about raid, raid controllers, and multiple raid configs

toenexx

Limp Gawd
Hi all, I am currently building a new workstation/server system. I plan on using dual raid configurations: one in RAID0 of two Intel X25M 160GB SSD's, and one in RAID10 of six HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000.C 1tb drives.

I've never made a raid configuration in my life,so I have some questions:

1) Is it possible to do dual/multiple raid configs on one system? Can it be done on one motherboard? One raid controller? Or do I need multiple raid controllers?
2) I am aware that my motherboard supports RAID0,5, and 10 using the Intel ich10r chip. How does this compare to a raid controller? Can I use that for one raid, then use a raid controller for another raid? If I did use one from my mobo, and one from a card, would it matter what RAID config I used, like would RAID10 work better on the card or the mobo?
3) I've been doing some research on raid controllers, and there is far too many to really make a decision what a good one is... can anyone recommend some great ones? What kind of features should I be looking for? I've heard Adaptec, Highpoint, and Areca make the best ones.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

P.S. Here are the following specs for my system:

SUPERMICRO MBD-X8DAH+-O Dual LGA 1366 Intel 5520 Extended ATX Dual Intel Xeon 5500 series Server Motherboard - Retail
Crucial 12GB Kit (4GBX3) 240-Pin DIMM (x2)
Intel Xeon E5520 Nehalem 2.26GHz LGA 1366 80W Quad-Core Server Processor Model BX80602E5520 - Retail
PNY Quadro FX 1800 768MB GDDR3 192-bit PCI-E 2.0 x16 Professional Video Card

You want the SSDs. They will be more reliable and faster (except for benchmarketing).

1) Yes.
Yes.
Yes.

2) Depends on the controller.
Yes.
No matter.

3) What are you trying to achieve with this build?

Back