questions for a new trader

gesicht

Gawd
i wanted to get started selling some of my old gear now that i dont have a job. i cant afford to just give it away to friends any more.

i registered on heatware and i have a e-mail though my isp. so i have that covered.

really my main questions are about shipping.

1. how do you normaly ship thing? ( i RMA fedexed a motherboard back to new egg, was 4 lbs, but the shipping note to me was only 3 lbs, i added nothing to it. well it cost 14 something just to return ship it to them express saver. the cheapest. the motherboard was only 29$ so it was a waste of money.)

so something as light as a motheboard and i used the same fedex box, to ship it back to newegg ( who only charged $.99) was 14$. most of this things i have video cards and other things and a few motherboards. but adding 10+ $ to any order would really cut the profit, most things would only be 10-30$ in sale price.

do you let them box it? or do you use UPS or normal mail ?

2. how does the trade go down after they really say the want the item.
do they send money first?
i see people not accept CC paypal because i hear you can get scamed. is that a good thing to do ?
so they send money first, then you mail them the item, they reply to heatware and do 1 only get postive feedback or do they get a reason to respond ?

3. should you only sell to people who at least have a heatware ? if not how do you go about not getting scammed ?

The FS/T forum rules is a definate must read, as it also contains a trading tips section. Trollhunters also has an extensive trading tips section.

for shipping I uses USPS priority mail with delivery confirmation. It's reasonable, I've never had a problem, and the delivery confimation helps protect both parties. ALWAYS use some kind of "proof of delivery". Insure anything you as a seller are not willing to "eat" if buyer claims item damaged or DOA.

go slow at first, by listing just a few things rather then 50+ you want to get rid of at once, and start with lesser value items first to get a feel for things. as a new trader here with new heat account, most established traders will expect you to ship before they pay. With those close to your status, they should pay first. On expensive items you can do things like deal only with high ref long term trader if possible, and still do the trading tips like confirm phone numbers, address, etc..

the VAST majority of those who get taken by a troll are ones who do not follow common sense rules of trading as listed in links above. Even established traders get burned when they become complacent.

most folks have good instincts. listen to them. If you get an uneasy feeling about someone or a particular trade, then be wary. If someone is all hot for your item and wants you to ship first, but gets huffy when you want to get info (full name address, phone) and take the time to CONFIRM it, then walk away

last thing, LURK for awhile in the FS/T before posting. you'll learn alot and get a good feel for the ettiquete here. Welcome to the [H]ardforums dude. :)

Since you are new trader without and heatware reference or ebay reference, there will be plenty of people asking for you to ship first, then pay later. It is up to you to decide whether you trust the person or not. But generally to make up for lack of reference, you can always exchange your personal info (ie name, address, phone#, etc) with the buyer. Or you can do a 50/50 split, pay half up front, half when item received. But DO not ship first to people who have very little heatware/ebay, people generally ask for items to be shipped first when they have 50+ heatware.

Who to sell it to isn't really a big issue, you are kinda on the safer side of things as a seller. But generally more heatware probably means more creditbility, as in buyer won't try to scam you or something (ex: swapping out products and say it's broken, etc)

Other than that, just pay attention to shipping, double check shipping address, package it well so item don't bounce around in the box, etc etc

Anyway, happy trading. ;)

i have always found that you can get free shiping supplys from the usps. Also i have found that in most cases just takeing the time too go too the post office and shipp it usps it's much cheaper often 5 dollars or more! Of course if you want tracking and insurance that costs a little extra but most of the time it is still cheaper.

Back