Quick & Dirty way to copy a hard drive

The Hunter

Limp Gawd
I'm putting a new hard drive in my system, and I'm wondering if there's a quick way to copy the data from the old one to the new one (including boot and partition info). I just want a quick and dirty temporary fix before I completely reinstall my system. Could this be done using something like Knoppix? I'd rather not go out and buy a copy of Disk Copy or whatever.

When I used to work in a PC shop, we just put the 2 HDDs (new and old) into another PC -making it 3 HDDs in total in that PC. Then literally copy all the files across from old HDD to new HDD using windows. No probs.

Machino, did it copy the boot record and everything? Whenever you installed it into the comp did it fire up and load all of the drivers right?

either the HDD manufacturers diagnostic will have a clone utility
or
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
g4u (advanced but will do local disks) or HDD Clone (rudimentary)
or PC Inspector e-maxx (havent tried it)

you cant copy Xcopy or XXcopy the MBR
you can however repair it (write a new one)
that may or maynot cause issues

What about a down and dirty way to copy a harddrive that linux is on??
Currently my router/firewall/webserver only has a 1.2gig harddrive . I managed to free up a 4 gig drive from another machine which would be wicked and just enough space to run my gallery for me and my friends. But I'm at a loss as to how to copy the drive while making the new one bootable. I tried norton ghost another time it would copy the drive but it wouldn't make it bootable.

Any suggestions?

Back