Quick Format or full format.

wahur1

Limp Gawd
So you guys do the quick format to new hard drives as you plug in or quick format? I normally do the full format but my friends keep bugging me to do the quick format as it saves a lot time.

So i want to ask you guys what you normally do ? What are the advantages or disadvantages of full format and quick format. Shed some light please.

doing a full format will check for bad sectors. It might take longer, but it is good to do on a new hard drive.

Personally I do a quick format and go. I have yet to receive a hard drive NIB with bad sectors and I really don't want to wiat around on a 500GB or 1TB drive to scn every sector on a drive.

Used to do full, gave that up long ago. Been doing quick for years, never had an issue.

That's funny Microsoft recommends doing full format because didn't they remove the option during Vista install? If scanning for bad sectors took a few minutes I'd do it... but on TB drives and stuff it takes ungodly long time. Better off just doing quick format and scanning for bad sectors once OS is running-- then you have have it run in background while you do other stuff.

how much time will it take to format 1.5TB ? (Full Format).

It took me about 5 hours to format a 1TB drive in Windows XP. For some reason, Vista could only get to 8% in 7 hours on the same drive.

In short, it will take a while.

Back