Quick ps3+reciever question

MatDef

Supreme [H]ardness
Ok, so I have a ps3 (already got a 360, needed the bc, etc...) and I have a question about it. I have it hooked up to an older hdtv (component inputs only) but my reciever has hdmi inputs for audio (yamaha rx-v661). Can I hook up the ps3 to the tv using component, then use hdmi for audio only? Or would it be a better idea just to use optical.

Thanks.

You can setup the audio and video separately so I believe you can send video through component and audio through HDMI.

connect your ps3 to the receiver via hdmi. then connect your receiver to the tv via component.

You can setup the audio and video separately so I believe you can send video through component and audio through HDMI.

Yeah, you can likely do this. I'm not sure if your specific receiver can do it, but I bet it can. Mine can output video any way you want and it'll play the HDMI audio. In a pinch, like you mentioned, just use a toslink instead.

connect your ps3 to the receiver via hdmi. then connect your receiver to the tv via component.

That won't work, receivers can't downconvert HDMI to component. They can upconvert component to HDMI though (if they support that function).

If the yamaha can support uncompressed pcm, definitely use hdmi for audio, if not, you can just use the toslink. Does your TV not have a DVI or HDMI input?

Nope.

Connect your PS3 to the receiver via HDMI and connect the PS3 to the TV via component.

Back