quick question about 120hz lcd tv's

natty

Limp Gawd
I know that you can't use these to get 120 fps in computer games, but I forgot the reason for this. Anyone care to explain briefly?

120fps is impossible at the moment for lcds and shouldnt be confused with 120hz tvs, not the same. My memory is terrible so Ill try to explain as best as I can. 120hz is used with movies shoot in 24p, it use something like 4:5 pulldown to extrapolate the 120hz by inserting an extra interpolated frame between every frame, at least it tries to. I give it a stamp of "FAIL" for this. Its suppose to work on 60fps movies like DVD but I give it another stamp of "FAIL". I believe you need 5:5 ratio to get true 120hz which would give you 120fps but LCDs cant refresh that fast so The TV industry tries to smear the images on the screen to try to reduce judder and motion blur. Even though I give it for stamp of "FAIL" because it doesnt work during high motion which is one the selling points, its a cool effect when it works. When it comes to FPS gaming this is usually turned off for best response, I think most TV set automatically turn off 120hz when connected to a PC. Sony & Samsung sets turn it off when connected to PC at the LCds native resolution.

120fps is impossible at the moment for lcds and shouldnt be confused with 120hz tvs, not the same. My memory is terrible so Ill try to explain as best as I can. 120hz is used with movies shoot in 24p, it use something like 4:5 pulldown to extrapolate the 120hz by inserting an extra interpolated frame between every frame, at least it tries to. I give it a stamp of "FAIL" for this. Its suppose to work on 60fps movies like DVD but I give it another stamp of "FAIL". I believe you need 5:5 ratio to get true 120hz which would give you 120fps but LCDs cant refresh that fast so The TV industry tries to smear the images on the screen to try to reduce judder and motion blur. Even though I give it for stamp of "FAIL" because it doesnt work during high motion which is one the selling points, its a cool effect when it works. When it comes to FPS gaming this is usually turned off for best response, I think most TV set automatically turn off 120hz when connected to a PC. Sony & Samsung sets turn it off when connected to PC at the LCds native resolution.

thanks

Two simple reasons:

1) Neither single nor dual-link DVI have the bandwidth to generally communicate 120fps from your PC to the TV/monitor at any real, usable resolution

2) Even if theoretically they did, right now these TVs do not accept 120hz signals over HDMI or VGA. The highest they will generally do is 75hz over VGA. Of course, since VGA is analog, they should be able to go higher (as bandwidth is theoretically unlimited) but nobody really concentrates on their analog connection capabilities much any more.

The reason most of the newer 1080p sets turn off 120hz with PCs is because it causes a lot of input lag.

Regards,

10e

I know that you can't use these to get 120 fps in computer games, but I forgot the reason for this. Anyone care to explain briefly?

thanks, this clears it up for me quite well. In that case i'll just stick with my 60hz model.

Back