Quick question about the function of RAM

.enigma.

Weaksauce
To be clear, RAM is used for things like navigating from tab to tab and scrolling through a web browser, etc.

Just curious because occasionally my browser (firefox) acts really slow and lags behind, even though i have 4GB of RAM

Thanks

RAM is used to store the state of open programs. So information about all of your open tabs in Firefox is stored in RAM. When you click a tab, it's the CPU's job to retrieve that information and do whatever it needs to do to display the new tab. Assuming you have enough RAM to store Firefox's state (i.e. nothing is hogging all your RAM), switching tabs and scrolling should be quick. If this is slow then it might be a CPU issue. What are the specs of your machine? Do you have the latest drivers for your video card? If all else fails, try Chrome. It is speedier than Firefox.

RAM is used to store the state of open programs. So information about all of your open tabs in Firefox is stored in RAM. When you click a tab, it's the CPU's job to retrieve that information and do whatever it needs to do to display the new tab. Assuming you have enough RAM to store Firefox's state (i.e. nothing is hogging all your RAM), switching tabs and scrolling should be quick. If this is slow then it might be a CPU issue. What are the specs of your machine? Do you have the latest drivers for your video card? If all else fails, try Chrome. It is speedier than Firefox.

Core i5 -750 OCd to ~3.6 ghz

4GB DDR3 RAM, IIRC its around 1066 mhz

I belive I do have the latest drivers (ive got a radeon 5770)

The problem seems to be intermittent, everything is quick as it should be right now.

That's way more than firefox would ever need to use. Is this type of behavior happening only in that application, or is the machine sluggish in other applications as well?

Before pointing to hardware, I would be inclined to say that this is an isolated application issue. I would try this (in order) and then check to see if things have improved between each step:
1. Clear your cache
2. Disable any browser plugins
3. Try the browser in safe mode
4. Reinstall and/or update Firefox
5. Try a different firefox profile

Keeping an eye on the memory/CPU monitor is probably a good idea too, but that's just going to show the effect, not the cause.

Back