Quick question on memory speeds

Hey all,

Just a quick question, want to reassure myself before I plonk down for a new computer!

I'm looking at getting an E2140 - which is listed as having an 800MHz FSB. Intel lists their FSB speeds as 'quad pumped', hence the actual FSB is 800/4 = 200MHz. This is the speed you will see in the BIOS. Also, the E2140 has a multiplier of 8x, and a clockspeed of 1.6GHz, which is 200 x 8. Most overclocking reports I've seen on this processor say it can run anywhere around 300-400MHz FSB.

Now, I'm looking at some Corsair XMS2-6400 memory. This is DDR (Double Data Rate) memory, so it's speed is listed at 800MHz, and the actual memory speed is 800/2 = 400Mhz.

Does this mean that with this cheap RAM, I can run an optimal 1:1 CPU FSB:Memory FSB ratio right up to a 100% overclock? (400MHz FSB on the CPU) Or am I missing something? This is just odd to me, back in the day you needed very expensive fast RAM to overclock the CPU and still stay in the rated speed of the RAM and at a 1:1 ratio. Also, if this is true, why the memory that runs at such extreme speeds? The PC-8500 stuff, running at 1066MHz, is that just for extreme overclocks (eg. phase change cooling etc.) ?

Dave

Back