Quick questions about 2407FPW. Gaming/Price

dborden

Limp Gawd
Will the prices for a 2407FPW go down by Novemberish? Right now they run about $800 right?

Also if I have this monitor and buy a game that does not support widescreen or I don't want to play it in widescreen can I change the resolution or somehow get it to switch back to a square resolution without distortion? Will it black out the sides or something?

Go here to answer all your questions: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com

Great resources there...

Are you sure you want the Dell for gaming? There are some pretty serious drawbacks to that particular panel (made by samsung) see this: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1026393 (note that the Dell used in this review is the 2405, not the 2407. the 2407 uses the SAME panel as the Samsung in this article)

I would suggest that you also have a look at the Philips based panels from HP (L2535), sony, and Philips (Brilliance 230w) as these panels have nearly al lthe advantages of the 24" ones and none of the disadvantages, IMHO.

Good luck!

Matt

I've heard reports of people picking up 2405s for $650. Not sure the price of the 2407 will go down so fast though, since it's still pretty new.

MIght want to try coupons or something like that instead.

jtking said:
Are you sure you want the Dell for gaming? There are some pretty serious drawbacks to that particular panel (made by samsung) see this: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1026393 (note that the Dell used in this review is the 2405, not the 2407. the 2407 uses the SAME panel as the Samsung in this article)

Actually, it's the 2405 that has the same panel as the Samsung 244t (both are LTM240M1). The 2407 uses an updated version of the panel (LTM240M2), which has been measured to have less 'input' lag (really should be called 'output' lag) than the 2405 and 244t.

See here: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/content/dell_2xx7wfp_2.htm#inputlag

I've heard that the dreaded input lag is nonexistant on the 2407.

I haven't seen enough of those other panels tested to say that they have none of the drawbacks. I've heard good things about how they should do, but not enough actual reviews/feedback on the real products.

Also, even with the 2405, it seems that only some people get (maybe notice) the input lag, while others are totally blown away by it.

As for prices, I think its fair to expect the 2407 to drop in price some. I see price drops across the board for LCDs, and so a $600-750 after shipping and tax 2407 might be pretty easy to come by later this year, especially if Dell's running some nice deals to boost revenue.

And yes, you can run the monitor 1:1 scaling with lower resolutions. The popular 20" resolutions of 1600x1200 and 1680x1050 should actually offer pretty close to 20" of viewable space run 1:1. Supposedly they actually do a pretty good job when filling the screen with a non-native (but proper 16:10 aspect ratio) resolution, but you might not like it.

darkswordsman17 said:
And yes, you can run the monitor 1:1 scaling with lower resolutions. The popular 20" resolutions of 1600x1200 and 1680x1050 should actually offer pretty close to 20" of viewable space run 1:1. Supposedly they actually do a pretty good job when filling the screen with a non-native (but proper 16:10 aspect ratio) resolution, but you might not like it.
No, u cannot run 1600x1200 and 1680x1050 resolution at native 1:1 with 2407wfp as of reversion A02. Almost all high resolution (above 1280x1024 or around that ... maybe) settings will be stretch to fill.

If the monitor won't do 1:1 scaling at those resolutions, then you can always set your video card to "Fixed aspect ratio scaling" or whatever the ATI equivalent is and have it do the job instead.

Askanison said:
No, u cannot run 1600x1200 and 1680x1050 resolution at native 1:1 with 2407wfp as of reversion A02. Almost all high resolution (above 1280x1024 or around that ... maybe) settings will be stretch to fill.

Wrong.

1600x1200 works fine on mine. 1:1 I have not tested for 1680x1050. (as stated in post above, the videocard will do it)

With holidays coming, The dell 2407 should go down in price (after thanks giving, Christmas), but lets not forget end of august or september with people going back to school, dell usually have sales then too. You can also check advertisement that come with credit card statements or your Credit card website, I know Discover Card used to offer 15% to 20% discount for dell, when going through their shopping center(but of course when I needed it, the dell was no longer one of merchants listed)

It's only 800 at Costco, pretty good price considering Costco's return policy.

Back