Quick yes or no question: any conflict with this hardware setup?

Providence

Limp Gawd
Building new rig. Never actually built my own before but I want something state of the art, and not at Dell's pricing.

Antec nine hundred case
eVGA 680i board (A1, whatever the hell that means; it's the most popular)
Zephyr 750w power supply
8 gigs of ram, filling the four DIMM slots with this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220228
QX6850 processor

For the video cards, I'll probably just take my 8800GTS out of my current system and put it in the new one temporarily till the 9800s come out.

Vista Ultimate 64.

I'll probably buy one stick of ram at a time...that won't do anything to my system, right? I'm not familiar with memory addressing, but I just don't want to have anything go wrong >_>

Thanks for your imput.

An Extreme Edition CPU is an Extreme waste of money. Just get a Q6600 and OC it instead.

If you want to use 8GB of RAM in windows, you'll need Vista 64bit. What in the world are you doing that needs 8GB of ram? Most games don't even need 2! Whie the newer games may need 2 or more, 4GB is still enough for most desktop applications/games. So, it begs the question, what do you need 8GB of RAM for?

Its always best to buy them all at once... so just buy 2 of these kits:
$165 - G.Skill 4GB(2x2GB) DDR2-800 F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ

I've never heard of Zephyr before, so do some research behind that PSU before plunking down some money on it.

What size monitor do you have or plan to get?

Answer: Yes. The conflict: Common sensibility and your wallet.

Read everything Enginurd said and consider it very carefully. You will be flushing down over one thousand dollars of wasted money with that setup--I'll say it's ridiculous. Spend some time doing some research on what other people are putting together for high end computers. You'll see Q6600's with 2 or 4 gigs of RAM, and one or two 8800 GTX or Ultra cards (depending on whether or not SLI is needed -- based on monitor resolution.) These PCs will perform as well as any computer with an extreme chip, and will cost much, much less.

Furthermore, unless you do some heavy (and I stress heavy) photoshop or premier pro work, you'll hardly find a need for 8 gigs of RAM. 2 is enough for a gaming PC today, and 4 is enough for a multi-use gaming / media / development powerhouse. Keep in mind that any performance increase had by increasing the amount of RAM is only realized when the lower amount of RAM is bottlenecking your system's performance.

Mark.

Read everything enginurd and Marky said twice. Then read it again for a third time. Then make your decision's about your build

Back