Quiet case with 120mm fans.....

This damn preatorian is not so quiet, and it heats up my room pretty well with these 80mm fans. I'm thinking a dual 120mm fan case is in order. Something that has good cooling, is quiet, ect. There's also not alot of room in my current case. Anyway, I've been looking at,

Antec P180
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129154

Thermaltake Xaser
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811133154

Lian Li PC-7B plus II
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811112099

Dunno what I'm wanting though. That Thermaltake looks interesting.

the better the cooling the faster its gonna heat up your room... you realize that, right?

That Thermaltake's nice, I like their Masstige better though. Remember, the thing about cooling isn't that heat get's destroyed, just removed. Cooling solutions just move heat from your components to the surrounding air, to your room. Great cooling = warmer room, bad cooling = warmer computer. Open a window :D

In the long run the room will get to be the same temperature anyways. The difference between a case that cools well and one that cools poorly is just that the case temp will be higher or lower. When it comes down to it if your computer is putting out 250 Watts, whether your case cools poorly or cools well it will eventually dump 250 Watts into your room. It probably wont take too long for that to happen either.

So the poor cooling = cooler room is not true at all.

Ok, well, lets go by the quiet thing then. I'm sure either the armor or the P180 will be quieter than what I'm running now.

I like the Antec slk3000b
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129152

The fan on the back is pretty quiet when at the lowest level, you can also buy a low speed 120mm for the front.

Another thing you might consider is measuring both the front and back of your current case to see if there is space for a 120mm fan. Then all you would have to do is cut out a hole and stick in a low speed 120....

Check you Antec super lanboy. With what you have in your sig, should fit fine and very silent.

Ditto on the SLK3000B recommendation, I love mine. It doesn't come with a PSU, which is certainly a good thing.

For quiet PC , I think you will need to change default fans to quiet fans if you choose whatever chassis.

I've owned the armor for over a month and I have to say that it has very good airflow and I have it next to me and it's very quite. You can't beat the room it has and for wire manement is great, the fan's that come with it do a good job and I like that the front h/d cage with the 120 fan can be located anywhere. I would highly reccomend this case to any one. BTW I got two since I was building for the twin's: asus P5WD2-E/PENT.D820/BIG TYPHOON HS/2 GIG'S MEM/2 WD 250 SATA 2 H/D ASUSEN7800GTX 256/X-FI FATA1LY/2 PX740A DVD BURNERS/Tt 520W PSU MODULAR. case temp run's at 35c very happy with this case

The Antec P180 appears to be a nightware to cable to an ATX motherboard. This case seems to be best-suited for the 'upside down' BTX motherboard.

I wouldn't touch a case with ventilation fans smaller than 120mm - including the Armor case.

Another vote for the Antec 3000B. With some simple mods, this case has excellent potential for a really quiet and cool-running case.

Hope this helps!

I say get the lian li... opening doors suck. I like how it's already good to go... and it's super sexy. Lian Li is like the bently of cases... antec is like bmw... and uhm... that other one is like yugo. :p

I have a Super Lanboy and a Thermaltake Armor. My lanboy has the antec true control 2.0 psu, controlling two 120mm fans (the front of which I switched with a Silverstone 120) My 3200 venice is cooled with the zalman 9500 cooler and my xfx gtx is stock. This combination is damn quiet. With my bedroom window closed I notice the outside noise moreso than the lanboy.

My armor is using stock fans and although its not whiney noisy like, I do plan on switching the 3 front 120's, 1 rear 120 and rear 92 fans with vantec stealths and fanbus them. Having my armor (file server) on 24/7 does keep my room warmer than the others its still comfortable. Though I believe a lot of that has to do with the 17" lcd I'm using and most of the heat is comming from the NeoHE, and even at that its just a little warm.

I would recommend against that particular Lian Li because the rear fan does not look like a 120, its best to match you intake with your exhaust.

The P180 is good case, though I think with cases that have the psu on the bottom have leave much for being cable hiding friendly but thats not the issue here. As quiet/good cooling cases goes...its right up your alley. Though you may want to contact Antec and get the solid aluminum door.

I've decided to go with the Lian Li PC-7B plus II myself because it matches what I was looking for almost perfectly:
front/rear 120's
generally good internal arrangement and ease of use
front washable dust filter

what I dont like:
the 80mm blowhole. (who the hell decided to do that, after having 2 120's in the case already? another 120 or no blowhole at all would make this case perfect)

My question:
How does this case compare to the other lian-li cases? Is it flimsy? It sure doesnt carry that normal lian li price.

I have the Plus and I love it. If you do not want to mod the top fan, you get it pre-modded for a 120mm fan for a little more money.

The only negatives about this case, or any other aluminum one, are fingerprints and they scratch easy.

You could always go Antec SuperLan Boy and it sells for around 75 bucks on newegg without a power supply. It's quite light and it has two 120mm fans.

I'm getting one here tomorrow :)

My personal vote goes for the P180, I have it and love it. There are other...expensive alternatives, such as the V1000 by Lian Li, or the TJ07 (AKA DM10 case) by Silverstone.

Back