Quiet fan for a Phenom II X6 1045T in a slim Minuet case?

LordJezo

Limp Gawd
The fan that came with this chip sounds like a jet engine, I can currently hear it over the washing machine that is running and the TV that is playing. All the PC is doing right now is playing a Twitch stream full screen and the fan blasts full speed at all times when the computer is doing anything.

Case: Amazon.com: Antec Minuet 350 MicroATX Slim Case Computer Case 350 Watt 80 PLUS Power Supply: Electronics

So a fan would need to fit in that.

Chip isnt overclocked, just running stock. This is the motherboard, nothing fancy: ASUS M4A78LT-M LE AM3 AMD 780L Micro ATX AMD Motherboard-Newegg.com

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Anything aftermarket will likely be more quiet than the stock fan, but I bet you could even sneak a Corsair Hydro H55 or H60 in there with enough persuasion. That side mounted chassis fan makes a good spot to mount it.

ID Cooling IS50

used them in a few builds. great cooling. for a couple bucks more you get 120mm fan and extra heat pipe over the reeven. fair warning though, shipping time is very long.

ID Cooling IS50

used them in a few builds. great cooling. for a couple bucks more you get 120mm fan and extra heat pipe over the reeven. fair warning though, shipping time is very long.
Its taller and larger. May not fit.OP needs to do some measuring!

and is that ID quiet? that's something nice about the Reeven, is that it is reportedly, surprisingly quiet.

uhhh.... I don't know if the quoted reeven is actually 59mm, but I can confirm that the is50 is 55mm. quiet is dependent on the environment. an environment that forces a is50 fan to spin up will likely also cause a reeven fan to spin up, and as far as fans go the larger the quieter.

Are you running Win10? Had you run this same setup with Win7 before?
I ask because as soon as I upgraded my server to Win10 it started to have very high CPU fan speed. But no CPU workload to justify it. The noise drove me nuts.
It was an AM2+ system. It did the same with a socket 775 C2Q and that is when I started to search for fixes. I am not sure what worked and what didn't but the fan is largely under control now.
Seems to be a common problem.

Are you running Win10?

Yup, Windows 10, and I really can't remember it if was this crazy before when I was running Windows 8. All I know is now when I watch even a simple video the fan goes nuts but the temp of the CPU sits around 30 something.

OP needs to do some measuring!

85mm is the maximum height I can put in this case, and that would be touching the sheet metal, so we need to stay below that. The stock cooler on there now measures in at 50mm.

Yup, Windows 10, and I really can't remember it if was this crazy before when I was running Windows 8. All I know is now when I watch even a simple video the fan goes nuts but the temp of the CPU sits around 30 something.

Ya that is the exact same scenario when I upgraded. At first I thought it was the GPU because, like you, it did it when I watched any video. There are a bunch of posts on Youtube on the subject.
One of the quick fixes is Settings / Notifications and actions -- turn all notifications off.
That one worked quite well for me. One thing though is when you make any of these minor tweaks to try to get the fan under control make sure to Shut-down, Power Off, and not just a Restart. I've found a lot of settings don't fully take without a proper Shut-down. Same for Windows updates.

Ya something about constant disk access causing something with the CPU.
I wouldn't have mentioned it if it didn't completely solve it on my 775 system. The AM2+ system had mixed results, but it did improve as well. Disable them all then after a Power off, re-enable one at a time. Some have suggested disabling the Themes service. Another suggests checking Device Manager and see if there is duplicated video device and disable the incorrect one.

Anything aftermarket will likely be more quiet than the stock fan, but I bet you could even sneak a Corsair Hydro H55 or H60 in there with enough persuasion. That side mounted chassis fan makes a good spot to mount it.

That side fan is 80mm, even if it was 120mm it does not have enough room on both sides for the rad as the mobo will be eating up a good bit of space on the bottom side because of how much deeper the rad/fan is, you could however make it fit into the removable top panel, would be a pain if you opened up the case often, but would probably fit and would be the best option as far as cooling goes for the space.

Does this tiny case of mine with only a single side fan even have enough room to ever cool it all?

Back