Quieting down the computer

EnderXC

Limp Gawd
I can't stand the droning of my 80mm fans any more and therefore will be upgrading my case and HSF. Here's some questions:

1. Lian li PC60B plus, I like it's look and features, but how quiet is it, using the stock 120's?

2. XP-120 and a low speed fan, how well does it cool? Will it tear the socket bracket off my mobo?

3. Relating to above anyone use a Zalman 120mm all copper cooler? how quiet is it at it's lowest speed and how does it cool at low speeds?

EnderXC said:
I can't stand the droning of my 80mm fans any more and therefore will be upgrading my case and HSF. Here's some questions:

1. Lian li PC60B plus, I like it's look and features, but how quiet is it, using the stock 120's?

2. XP-120 and a low speed fan, how well does it cool? Will it tear the socket bracket off my mobo?

3. Relating to above anyone use a Zalman 120mm all copper cooler? how quiet is it at it's lowest speed and how does it cool at low speeds?

Simply pop in some adjustable 1200mm fans you have total control.

As for the XP-90 if you pair that with a Thermal Take CAT-90 it just doesn’t get much cooler then that at about zero audible noise. The Zalman is nice, but the XP-90 or 120 are untouchable.

On the other hand, there is the water-cooling option. Doesn’t get much quieter then that and the setup is far less sensitive to case air flow.

I use an Antec Sonata Series 1 with the Zalman 7700Cu set to 1250 RPM with its speed controller. I don't use Cool and Quiet.

My system is damn quiet and I spent quite a while looking through different configs before deciding on this.

I went with the Zalman as it's construction eliminates dust buildup suffered by other coolers with fine fin's avoids clogging and really keeps other components around it cool aswell. The Antec Sonata case is designed for quiet operation, has a good dust filter and design, great large speed controlled fans and a great power supply.

They now have the Sonata 2 (http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=15139).

An XP120 or 90 would be fine aswell but I'd lean more towards low speed 120mm fans for the best and quietest performance. Just make sure your MB can fit whatever you choose and read the compatabilty data on the cooler manufacturer websites to make sure.

Back