• EVGA

Votes: 13 14.8%
  • PNY

Votes: 17 19.3%

• Total voters

MrWizard6600

Supreme [H]ardness
...the WORST graphic design EVER!

I gotta say, I thought that sappire with there made-by-a-teen-ager render of, I think it was lara croft, but with this new gen of Nvidia video cards we've got a couple of major contenders. Let me introduce the nominees

XFX:
8.jpg

9.jpg

1.jpg

Images pulled from Overclockers club GTX280 review

I was never a fan of the warewolf with a mask design. Its the dog's mask in the form of a neon outline. Sweet. the "X" design of the mask like on some terribly drawn super hero reminds me of the 70s, the neon effect lighting reminds me of the 70s. Kinda wonder if it'l perform like its from the 70s. "Its got transistors!"

BFG:
1213329410dkPbuPba8A_2_4_l.jpg

1213329410dkPbuPba8A_2_1_l.jpg

Images pulled of course from our own [H] review, if you havn't read the review yet its definatly worth a look as if you read the actual articals you might not agree with "its on par with 9800GX2!"

BFG has traditionally gone with a cool little flame design or something. I was ok with that, then the 8800 series showcased a bald guy holding his head, I thought that was wierd, but this takes the cake. The bleeding yellow light from his eyes doesn't look cool. Far from it, it looks like a dude who used too much yellow eyeshadow. Also, considering the hardware in the box is running the most advanced 3d shader render units in the world right now, you think they could get the lighting effects right. Apparently not.

EVGA:
GTX280-9.jpg

GTX280-17.jpg

GTX280-1.jpg

Images pulled from Hardware canucks review.

This is just confusing to me. If you've had the experiance of a power surge and an aspire PSU, you've probably got a fun story envolving what appeard to be a sparkler sticking out of the back of your computer. Evga has decided a design involving sparks shooting out from the fan is a good idea. Why? I can picture myself buying one, installing it and playing a couple games. Then when I take a look at the inside of my case, I'd make a dive to pull out the power cord for fear that sparks are shooting out of my graphics card. Clever design evga! Nice box too.

PNY:
pny_gtx280_front.jpg

pny_retail_box.jpg

Images pulled from the Legit Reviews GTX280 review

Apparently we really like neon. I wonder how much the graphic artist got paid for that sweet original piece of art?

The rest of the designs include the traditional things, dragons, mech fighters, etc. Heres some links if you still want to look:

Zotac:
Zotac GTX280 review from Tweaktown

Leadtek:
Images at Leadtek.com, official leadtek website.

Gainward:
Box art pic from expreview.com, not to be confused with xpreview which is an ad farm

Gigabyte:
Images at CPU3D.com, a site I've never heard of but the review looks decent.

Point of View:
Full points for something new. Point-of-view online, official website.

update:
ASUS:
still MIA

"Xpertvision":
Referance card, no sticker. Now its not good looking without a sticker per se, but its a fair bit more attractive then the baldy with the big gun. heres a link.

Well, bfg and pny pretty much always have those. I would vote for xfx though. Its not a blue/purple shade.

Guh. They all look goofy. Good thing I don't have a side window.

On another note, I'm kind of upset about the new cards coming out. I'm going to have to build a new rig, and I don't wanna. /pout

I really like the PNY box :)
That BFG cooler though... looks like something you'd pick up in a dodgy market only to discover it's really an FX 5800 with a cheap imitation 200-style cooler glued on.

Good to see that the other side of the board isn't just an exposed PCB.

Do they ever sell the reference design? I want my video video card to look simple, just like the reference design.I don't want my card to have some dumb stupid picture on it and I'm also not a big fan of "rice" out computers. The neons and the lights are just ridiculous.

If you guys had a Ferrari would you want some dumb picture on the side of the car? Most likely not. I'm not sure who ever thought that it would be cool to have silly graphics on these video cards.

The EVGA one actually isn't bad. The other ones are terrible though, if I had to pick the worst it would have to be PNY.

The worst ones got to be BFG, like come on what were they thinking? I wonder how worst was BFG's other graphics that didn't make the cut so they pick the best one and choose that one unfortunately.

Good to see that the other side of the board isn't just an exposed PCB.

oh you think so?

I think exactly the oppposite, lets see that sexy black PCB!

I think the reason its covered is because the back plate actually has to function as a heat spreader for the mem chips on the back (remembering theres 16, 8 on the front, 8 on the back).

its a big card that lives in a case. you never see it. does it matter what it looks like?

In order of the Poll:

PNY is definatly the most boring and ugly.
BFG is ehh... I've seen better
XFX is a little better, but c'mon, I can make something better in wordart :rolleyes:
eVGA ahh! Most excellent looking.

The rest you linked?
Zotac... boring dragon
Leadtek: can't seem to find it
Gainward: looks like that Spirit Healer from WoW.
Gigabyte: A chick with a gun, what more can I say?
And Point of View... with their traditional ugly yoda looking thing.

povyodaej3.png

[The EVGA is the only decent looking one, the rest are fugly. I'm not sure why manufacturers put these silly pictures/graphics on them anyway. I'm not going to buy their card over their competitors because they put a dragon or whatever on it ;)

WTF is Point of View?

good question

its a big card that lives in a case. you never see it. does it matter what it looks like?

you might not see it, but all my rigs have clear side pannels. Its great because whenever I'm asked an awkward question by a customer i just walk by one of my boxes and there all like "whoa"

Leadtek: can't seem to find it
Gainward: looks like that Spirit Healer from WoW.

Fixed.

And also the Gainward one reminds me of tyreal from Diablo 2 (if you havnt played it and your an RPG guy you should go buy it right now, like $20 in best buy), which brings back some good memories. That games cinimatics (which required a completly seperate disk btw), scared the crap out of me.

I voted for PNY, but if POV was an option I would have voted for that one instead. What the hell is that ugly little demon anyway?

It's always been like this. Anyone remember this one?

BIGVD.jpg

Showing my age here.....

I thought the vote was for BEST looking. I voted PNY based on the box alone. Classy looking little thing. EVGA's box design just looks gaudy and horribly designed.

oh you think so?

I think exactly the oppposite, lets see that sexy black PCB!

I think the reason its covered is because the back plate actually has to function as a heat spreader for the mem chips on the back (remembering theres 16, 8 on the front, 8 on the back).

I didn't realize that the GTX had a black PCB. Black PCBs are cool, red and green not so much imo.

out of the options in the poll, BFG is the worst. based on newegg images, asus and MSI are pretty bad. but i've never liked game-type images on my gaming gear. leave 'em black, make the plastic easily removed, give me an airbrush, and i'll be happy.

the best out of what i've seen is XFX. at least they went with something simple and traditional for nvidia/sli rigs.

edit: if you haven't seen yet, Asus and MSI can be spotted on the egg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...S+GeForce+GTX+280+ENGTX280/HTDP/1G+Video+Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...I+GeForce+GTX+280+N280GTX-T2D1G+OC+Video+Card

The worst designs come from Point of View, Gigabyte, BFG, MSI, Zotac, EVGA and Asus. Actually I think the XFX and PNY ones aren't THAT bad compared to the others.
Having said that, Gainward and even Leadtek are okay for me. Both at least don't look like some el-cheapo CG graphic composition. Asus has a good looking girl on the box, too bad the background on the cooler-sticker is ugly and absolutely unfitting.

Somehow the xpertvision one caught my eye... somewhat sad that a naked cooler looks better than labeled coolers from companies who think they are "smart" and "cool" when it comes to gaming. Why they just don't create a good looking card design?
I mean no problem with an el-cheapo CG monster or machine on a ~100 $ card, but not on a high-end gaming card.

Do they ever sell the reference design? I want my video video card to look simple, just like the reference design.I don't want my card to have some dumb stupid picture on it and I'm also not a big fan of "rice" out computers. The neons and the lights are just ridiculous.

If you guys had a Ferrari would you want some dumb picture on the side of the car? Most likely not. I'm not sure who ever thought that it would be cool to have silly graphics on these video cards.

I found on out my EVGA 8800GTX, the EVGA stickers actually came off (and go back on) rather easily. Unfortunately under the EVGA stickers were ugly green Nvidia stickers. :)

I don't care what it look. I yank the stock cooler and slap a sexy EK waterblock ;)

What matter is to get a black PCB, that's all...

I really, really hope the card marketing dept / graphic design peeps read this thread. I have to say, not one company gets this right. Closest thing I see to nice design is some of the more understated EVGA cards, this one is not one of them.

Back