QX9650 @ 4.0GHz Possible with Stock Intel HSF?

AuDioFreaK39

Limp Gawd
I just recently bought a New in box Retail QX9650 for $700 from a guy over at the AnandTech trading forums, and I'm very eager to get it up to decent clocked speeds. The problem, however, is that I won't have enough funds for a water cooling loop until around June, and so for now this is a temporary solution as I need to work with what I'm already given. As most of you know, the new stock HSF on the QX9650 is a major upgrade from the standard heatsinks that Intel issues with their non-Extreme Edition CPUs:

fansif2ld8.jpg
670637d3714246839c4ffd0en4.jpg

I'm going to be applying Arctic Silver 5 to the copper baseplate as my thermal compound. Eventually, the CPU will be lapped down to a 2000 grit finish once I have the water cooling setup, but that isn't an issue right now. The CPU will be installed on the specs in my sig.

And now to the questions:

1) Considering the speed of my RAM in relation to the 1333MHz FSB, what would be the best multiplier/FSB combinations to attempt for a 3.8 - 4.0GHz overclock?

2) Will EIST and C1E do me any good as far as idle power consumption in this case, or should I just leave them disabled?

3) Considering the heavily dependent nature of quad cores on FSB frequency, should I be more focused on a higher multiplier or a lower one?

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Well, it should only need around 1.4v or so to get to 4GHz, and, considering that the new cooler is so much better and bigger than the old one, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to get that speed.

yea, you should be able to get there no problem. Shoulda just bought a Q9550, and overclocked to 4 ghz :D Would have saved 200 bucks, and coulda bought that water cooling unit :D

700 is a great price for that chip, you should get to 4ghz. You cant go wrong with the fact you have an unlocked multiplier now as well.

it should be possible, i use 1.368V for stable 4Ghz and 1.56V for 4.4Ghz. but then im on phsechange.

yea, you should be able to get there no problem. Shoulda just bought a Q9550, and overclocked to 4 ghz :D Would have saved 200 bucks, and coulda bought that water cooling unit :D

That's just it though. I was GOING to buy a Q9550...I've been waiting for it since August, had mine on preorder since March 8th, but they are still nowhere to be seen (except for ES versions) and my patience grows weary. Luckily this QX9650 was only $120 more than what a Q9550 would've cost, and I get the advantage of an unlocked multiplier and 166MHz more. :D

Back