R520 300-350M Transistors/G80 Discovered

Shifra

Gawd
WE MANAGED TO get a few more details about ATI's next high end chip. It turns up that the R520 is built on a 90 nanometre marchitecture and will end up with as much as 300 to 350 millions of transistors.
We reported some months ago that R520 will have up to 300 million transistors but it turned out that ATI manage to squeeze even more transistors on its die. This leads up to the fact that it's very likely to have more pipelines than in the current generation. Last number was 16 and now it's time to go toward 24 we would speculate.

It will be introduced sometime either in May or in early June but I would not be that optimistic that you will actually be able to buy any of them just after the launch. It all takes time, as you know.

We don’t believe its going to be easy to cool 300 to 350 millions or transistors but we think that ATI won't have too many problems to cool this card and make it quiet.

NVIDIA'S NEXT generation graphic remains a well protected secret. We still managed to get some information about it, despite that.
We confirmed that G70 is the real thing and we learned that Nvidia has one more chip down the road codenamed the G80. We expect it to be based on 90 nanometre and have more pipes than NV40. We don't think that it will be dual graphics core stuff but you never know, you kow.

We suspect this card should be ready sometimes in September time even some people suggested April as a possibility. But we believe that April is just a poisson d'Avril, or mayhaps a red herring.

For comparison:
R420 = 180M transistors
NV40 = 220M transistors

Vroom?

God came down and told me to shit my pants over this.

*hnnnnnnnnn* *HNNNNNN* *plop*

That's from the inquirer...

at 300+ million transistors...looks like r520 will be 24 pipes...I wonder how that will stack up to SLI...could probably catch up to dual 6800ultras in a couple of games...I wonder what kind of clock they'll get out of such a huge chip...I have to doubt that they'll make it to 500Mhz...

We are going to have a good graphics year kiddies both the G80 and R520 should be beautiful! :D

{NG}Fidel said:
We are going to have a good graphics year kiddies both the G80 and R520 should be beautiful! :D

how spectacular it'll be i'll have to see it to believe it (not expecting a whole lot). i'm guessing these cards probably wont be available in large quantities until 1st quarter next year. last year around this time the videocard news was buzzing. compared to this year its pretty lack luster.

if Ati keep there current ES cards the same until launch, expect a 2-3x times the speed of the x850XTpe :p they threw these ES cards in the alpha XNA's

Ballz2TheWallz said:
if Ati keep there current ES cards the same until launch, expect a 2-3x times the speed of the x850XTpe :p they threw these ES cards in the alpha XNA's

huh? what?

what's an ES...what's an XNA...and how could you possibly get 3x performance from only a 50% increase in pipelines?

I demand a source!

Looks pretty sweet, THe R520 is shaping up to be a hell of a card (Even if the specs floating around arn't real, this whole buisness with the transistors should be good)

Hopefully they stick to the 2 slot cooling, and none of thet crappy X800XL cooling on any card, eve like the X900XL should have the equivilent of an X800XT Cooling, and the X900XTs should be dual slot cooling

(Names I made up myself, judging by the current naming style of ATI)

^eMpTy^ said:
huh? what?

what's an ES...what's an XNA...and how could you possibly get 3x performance from only a 50% increase in pipelines?
XNA is the current power pc systems being used to create games for xbox 2 which is rumored to have a r500-520 GPU in it, the devolpers(in my case a activision developer who does low level codeing for gc) said stated by ms that the xbox2 will have a GPU roughly 2-3 times as fast as the current top X850xt series, later i belive he said that there was a alpha XNA containing said videocard which i named a ES myself cause thats pretty much what it is. BTW an ES is a engineering sample
spec-u-lation
ru-mor
not-official

etc.....
thank you Mr.Obvious

Ballz2TheWallz said:
XNA is the current power pc systems being used to create games for xbox 2 which is rumored to have a r500-520 GPU in it, the devolpers(in my case a activision developer who does low level codeing for gc) said stated by ms that the xbox2 will have a GPU roughly 2-3 times as fast as the current top X850xt series, later i belive he said that there was a alpha XNA containing said videocard which i named a ES myself cause thats pretty much what it is. BTW an ES is a engineering sample

thank you Mr.Obvious

I'm guessing that 2-3 times faster is probably marketing hype...with all those transistors I'm guessing the chip will come out at or under 500Mhz...even on 90 nanometer...with 24 pipes though...it'll still be fast as hell...I'm curious to see how well ATi makes the transition from FP24 to FP32...

i think graphics cards are gonna be moving away from fixed pipelines and moving towards allocated pipelines, which is sort of a floating core concept.

games developers will be able to have their games tell the core how many pipelines to use, and the redundant pipelines will be allocated as carthorses (slang for moving data around the chip) thus expanding throughput, and increasing frames. so if a game only requires 8 pixel pipes for the majority of the time, the other 16 will act as extra core width, and will adjust on the fly as rendering requires more or less.

thats how the "3 times faster than X850" thing works out, it will depend on which game and how well programmed that game is.

Well lets just hope that its like 6x faster and 6x cheaper... yeah....

350million transistors sounds about right. But only if it is on 90nm, since 90nm is twice as small as the current X800 130nm process. Wonder what it'll take to cool it?

MooCow said:
Well lets just hope that its like 6x faster and 6x cheaper... yeah....
But knowing ATI, It'll probably be 3x faster, 3x higher than the MSRP, and 3x harder to find. Let's hope we don't have a repeat of the X800XTPE. :rolleyes:

sac_tagg said:
But knowing ATI, It'll probably be 3x faster, 3x higher than the MSRP, and 3x harder to find. Let's hope we don't have a repeat of the X800XTPE. :rolleyes:

or X850XT PE.

more info on the r520

R520 (high end products)

- over 300 million transistors
- 24 Pipes
- SM 3.0
- 90nm
- about twice as fast as X850
- release in June
- Kaleidoscope Display Controller (has something to do with AMR)
- about 500 Euro
- 3 Versions ("normal", Pro and XT) ... maybe the XT has 32 Pipes?

RV530 (mid range products)

- 16 Pipes
- Release in September
- about as fast as X800 (XT?)
- about 230 Euro (X700, X800 np replacement?)

RV515 (low end products)

- 8 Pipes
- October Release
- about 80 Euro
- (X300 and X600 replacement?)

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21823

http://translate.google.com/transla...&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=/language_tools

sykkopat said:
more info on the r520

R520 (high end products)

- over 300 million transistors
- 24 Pipes
- SM 3.0
- 90nm
- about twice as fast as X850
- release in June
- Kaleidoscope Display Controller (has something to do with AMR)
- about 500 Euro
- 3 Versions ("normal", Pro and XT) ... maybe the XT has 32 Pipes?

RV530 (mid range products)

- 16 Pipes
- Release in September
- about as fast as X800 (XT?)
- about 230 Euro (X700, X800 np replacement?)

RV515 (low end products)

- 8 Pipes
- October Release
- about 80 Euro
- (X300 and X600 replacement?)

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21823

http://translate.google.com/transla...&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=/language_tools

For those who dont know, prices in US$:

R520 -- $670.90
RV530 -- $308.56
RV515 -- $107.32

Even though this is not "concrete" the non-supported data that is flowing in appears reasonable and probable.

-tReP

sweet, so apperantly, for the price (eventually) of an X800XL I get an X800XT?

Hopefully (And it seems reasonable, due to the texas OC Show held by ATI) these cards are good OCers, I propose dual slot coling, and an external power connector for all!

Well, ATi hasn't released any revolutionary new core in a while, so if anything I hope its true...

"a while" = almost a year... this can be debated though I guess.

MooCow said:
Well, ATi hasn't released any revolutionary new core in a while, so if anything I hope its true...

well err... nvidia hasnt released anything new in that time also...

I dont understand what your saying...

I wonder if ATi will reveal the R520 durring E3 or after. They have to wait for MS to unveil the XBNext since it uses a R520 based chip.

I also wonder if the G80 or some derivative will power the PS3. Then there is the chip ATi is making for Nintendo...

Good times for us all is what I call this.

671 dollars? No one would buy th- wait, who am I kidding :rolleyes:

I do suppose that is in line with the cost of the x850xt, especially if the performance increase is 2x, which is probably BS

However, I don't know what the deal is with their midrange 16 pipe offering. We have the 300 dollar X800XL, the expensive and old x800xts, and the recently introduced x850xt which is going anywhere from 450 to 600 dollars.

How about this:

100-150 dollar 8 pipe
200-300 dollar 12 pipe X850Pro
300-400 dollar 16 pipe X850XT
400-500 dollar 20 pipe XI???Pro
500-600 dollar 24 pipe XI???XT

Unless there is some technical reason why they can't have 20 pipe cards.

Well I hope that its nothing as major as 2-3x the performance so my 6800gt can hold me out until I see them drop to the 400 range. Since AGP is on its way out I will need to hold off until I make a whole new rig, then this will be my backup gaming rig.

The thing I am really interested in it how powerful the new "Hollywood" core for the Gamecube Revolution will be, since they get theirs completely customized from ATI I want to see how it stands up against the R520 in the Xbox2. Seeing Nintendo on top of the next console release would make me happy :)

retardedchicken said:
Well I hope that its nothing as major as 2-3x the performance so my 6800gt can hold me out until I see them drop to the 400 range. Since AGP is on its way out I will need to hold off until I make a whole new rig, then this will be my backup gaming rig.

The thing I am really interested in it how powerful the new "Hollywood" core for the Gamecube Revolution will be, since they get theirs completely customized from ATI I want to see how it stands up against the R520 in the Xbox2. Seeing Nintendo on top of the next console release would make me happy :)

I'm thinking the GT will hold up for quite a bit...I plan on keeping mine for another year...or until I go pci-e...

Well this is all very interesting. I cant wait to see how it plays out.

MooCow said:

actually the base design in the current cores is still the chip ARTX devolped for ati, all the cores since the 9700 have been optismisations and they are releasing a completly new core this time

Ballz2TheWallz said:
actually the base design in the current cores is still the chip ARTX devolped for ati, all the cores since the 9700 have been optismisations and they are releasing a completly new core this time

So the R520 is a completely new design?

Cool, hopefully they OC well.

The RV530 sounds like a revamped X800 series card. Pretty much on par with the X800XL, no? 16 pipes aswell. The only thing that would make it eye catching is having SM3.0, but theres no note of that.

Back