R520 not launched at AUS event:

SnowBeast

[H]ard|Gawd
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?p=551677#post551677

"Hi Guys,
Just came back from the Australia launch event.

They didn't launch or talk much about R520, but instead 'launched' Crossfire locally.

But they did have a working next gen GPU at the scene and it'll be safe to assume it to be the R520. It was doing realtime decoding of H.264.

From the answers I got, crossfire should ship within the month and next gen will be launched within 50-60 days. Performance is higher than 7800, and the ultra, should it ever come to it.

Other than that, no tech details were divulged."

Nice, got my answer on which card to go with.

i love how you say that an unreleased card will be faster than another unreleased card (in fact it is only a rumor right now that there will even be a 7800 ultra)

SnowBeast said:
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?p=551677#post551677

"Hi Guys,
Just came back from the Australia launch event.

They didn't launch or talk much about R520, but instead 'launched' Crossfire locally.

But they did have a working next gen GPU at the scene and it'll be safe to assume it to be the R520. It was doing realtime decoding of H.264.

From the answers I got, crossfire should ship within the month and next gen will be launched within 50-60 days. Performance is higher than 7800, and the ultra, should it ever come to it.

Other than that, no tech details were divulged."

Nice, got my answer on which card to go with.

Dude! You're getting an nVIDIA :D

Like realtime "video" streams are an indication of 3d performance. They don't even use the same "section" of the GPU core, LOL :rolleyes:

It's very disapointing that they didn't provide more details and further disproves the AUS event is going to be teh R520 hard launch ROXORZ11!!11!@! Interesting that as more and more data is leaked from various sources, it seems to counter the
Performance is higher than 7800, and the ultra, should it ever come to it.

Of course if proven to be 16 pipes, at least it'll have both HDR and SM3.0, neither of what prior ATI products have now. In addition with CrossFire, ATI will also be able to talk about the power of "3". Don't take me wrong, I don't think this card will suck, I'm just banking on it being the "equivalent" to a 7800GTX from the competition. I'm not expecting that it will exceed GTX performance by any stretch of the imagination as the "this will PWND nVIDIA" crowd has predicted.

How much are crossfire boards going to be going for? Any idea?

They happen to mention how they're getting their asses sued into the dirt via class-action lawsuits brought by their shareholders for being so far behind nvidia this go-round? I'm done with ATI, I waited as long as I could.

Why are they even doing this for this gen? You'd have to buy two 500$ cards to get slightly better performance than one 500$ 7800GTX, and you wouldn't have PS 3.0! ATI should step back and concentrate on producing X800GTs and XLs for the AGP market until they get their R520 out.

JF_Aidan is wow gullible

From what I got out of the ATI rep, their next gen part (which could be R520 or R580) is *significantly* faster than the G70. When I brought up that the G70 is modestly clocked and that an ultra version would almost certainly be in the works, the rep was sure that it would be faster than that too. He also stressed that this was a 'ground up' architecture and that the change is much greater than from Geforce 6 to 7.

So either the current estimates here on the R520 are too low or ATI has been referring to the R580 all along.

Of course an ATI rep will say their card is better, im sure the actuall person at the booth doesn't even know how it performs

Suspected at 800mhz with 16 pipes would give it an advantage in fillrate over the 7800gtx...but significantly faster than G70, AND THE UNRELEASED, NOBODY KNOWS IF IT WILL EXIST 7800 ULTRA, that just makes me giggle inside

mrhemmy said:
JF_Aidan is wow gullible

Of course an ATI rep will say their card is better, im sure the actuall person at the booth doesn't even know how it performs

Suspected at 800mhz with 16 pipes would give it an advantage in fillrate over the 7800gtx...but significantly faster than G70, AND THE UNRELEASED, NOBODY KNOWS IF IT WILL EXIST 7800 ULTRA, that just makes me giggle inside
there will never be a 7800 ultra...it has allready be established that the GTX name has replaced the Ultra name....it would be more plausible for there to be a 7900gtx and a 7950gtx

Soul.Survivor said:
They happen to mention how they're getting their asses sued into the dirt via class-action lawsuits brought by their shareholders for being so far behind nvidia this go-round? I'm done with ATI, I waited as long as I could.

Check this out http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33826885

Looks like they are being forced to come clean, and I'm sure that still has a spin placed on it (just with a caveat so they'll be less likely to be sued a third time).

I think that the ATI product on release will "at most" be close to a 7800GT, but that the GTX will still be the current king. The OC statement is also telling, as they admit more of an overhead in the competition, so even MURC may not be able to unseat the king with phase change (after all phase change on a 7800GTX is a beautiful thing).

I believe many of us either ATI or Nvidia Supporters are making grossly negligent comments about what a chip that none of us has tested or seen can do.

Plain and simple.

I don't think any of us has the background to speculate on this subject. All I can say is that I think it will be able to play bejeweled and solitaire at 100 FPS. ;)

Back