R600 Date

no rumors- do we know an exact date is what we want to know?

I have no idea when it comes out, but I am waiting for it. Besides, G80 is out, but with no or crappy drivers for Vista. I think ATI will come out with the R600 when it is ready and I bet Vista drivers for it will work as well. Somethings are worth waiting for. Just my 2 cents.

We all heard it was originally January 22, but that was set back in Fall before the official 8800 release, then ATI crapp their pant's, and revised the video card to put the hurt on the 8800GTX, and now I have alway's heard it was to be announced in first week March at CeBit, with availability soon after

We all heard it was originally January 22, but that was set back in Fall before the official 8800 release, then ATI crapp their pant's, and revised the video card to put the hurt on the 8800GTX, and now I have alway's heard it was to be announced in first week March at CeBit, with availability soon after

I'm not sure how you figure that. nVidia got two months free and still had a few troubles with the drivers. ATI will have about half that time. Let's hope they're driver team is willing to work overtime, or else we might have a far worse situation on the virge of R600's launch in regards to Vista (or even XP).

Kliter, ATI's early adoption of the dotnet framework has resulted in Vista drivers that are far more mature than NV's (http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=354&type=expert&pid=1). ATI's only real concern with Vista is OpenGL; their drivers are far from complete. In reference to R600, I'm pretty sure ATI won't be emulating NV's driver teething problems.

As for rumours, Tom's Hardware is claiming ATI will be holding a "Tech Day" event in Amsterdam from 11th-13th March (http://tomshardware.co.uk/2007/02/02/amd_r600/.

If it's released in April, it gives me time to build up more bank.

Kliter, ATI's early adoption of the dotnet framework has resulted in Vista drivers that are far more mature than NV's (http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=354&type=expert&pid=1). ATI's only real concern with Vista is OpenGL; their drivers are far from complete. In reference to R600, I'm pretty sure ATI won't be emulating NV's driver teething problems.

In the beginning I wondered about the .net move on ATI and predicted that it had something to do with then upcoming Vista. Well ofcourse not many people are very farsighted and some people started the "ATIs drivers suck" smearing campaing.

But now in retrospect this move seems really wise and could turn out to be good move from ATIs part. I mean how long did it take for ATI .net drivers to mature, I dont think 1 year is enought? In either case, if this prediction is true and ATIs R600 Vista drivers turn out good, I think Nvidia has a really steep and long mountain to climb.

then ATI crapp their pant's, and revised the video card to put the hurt on the 8800GTX

No they didn't. It takes years to design a card. You can't simply revise one a few months. To do so would take a year at minimum. The most they could have accomplished in this time is a respin to *try* to increase clock speeds and/or yields. The basics of the architecture were decided a very, very long time ago and have not changed since then, regardless of what nVidia has done.

Cebit? Why in the US and not Amsterdam?

Because AMD sells its products internationally and therefore realizes that the world does not revolve around the US.

no rumors- do we know an exact date is what we want to know?

Ummm don't you think if there was an "exact" date that it would be plastered all over the internet and there would be no need for this thread?

Because AMD sells its products internationally and therefore realizes that the world does not revolve around the US.

What? There's a world outside the US?!? They said nothing about this in school here in Chicago. :p

if it doesn't get released by mid Feb I'm forgeting ATi they are just too far behind on release dates

If it's released in April, it gives me time to build up more bank.

Yup if it gets released in march then it it will be availiable in April but then they will be sold out everywhere and overpriced where you can get them. So I will use that time until May to read every article/review/forum post comparing nvidia and ati to make my decision. Which will keep me entertained while I save my money. I look forward to the next couple of months! :D

if it doesn't get released by mid Feb I'm forgeting ATi they are just too far behind on release dates

And with all the DX10 games available right now who wants to wait for the r600...uh wait..there are no games that use DX10....who are we talking about again (chicken little reference):cool:

And with all the DX10 games available right now who wants to wait for the r600...uh wait..there are no games that use DX10....who are we talking about again (chicken little reference):cool:

supreme Commander due out in 2week's is Dx10, some feature only Vista users will get on SC, like no fog of war ??

supreme Commander due out in 2week's is Dx10, some feature only Vista users will get on SC, like no fog of war ??

SC is primarily a DX9 game.

Even so, SC looks kinda crappy IMO. Not a game I'd buy.
Only RTS I liked was Starcraft.

Kliter, ATI's early adoption of the dotnet framework has resulted in Vista drivers that are far more mature than NV's.
Drivers aren't written in .NET. The control panel is. The hardware interfacing and the WVDDM has absolutely nothing to do with .NET.

Good idea... I jumped in a couple weeks ago, it's a screamer of a card for everything right now (the 8800-series). What's the point in waiting for something that very well may just be "equal" or "a little better" for a few months, instead of enjoying a high-end card for that whole time?

SC is primarily a DX9 game.

Even so, SC looks kinda crappy IMO. Not a game I'd buy.
Only RTS I liked was Starcraft.

Where do you get that it's a mostly-DX9 game?

Just because *you* don't like the graphics (they're actually pretty good, though) and the game type doesn't mean it's not an important release to many gamers.

Drivers aren't written in .NET. The control panel is. The hardware interfacing and the WVDDM has absolutely nothing to do with .NET.

Yep, so the control panel's a bit better, but really, they have nothing on the drivers at this time in terms of .NET equaling maturity.

Of course. Sorry for a lack of clarification. My point still stands though, ATI's early adoption of dotnet has allowed them to get to grips with Vista better than NV so far (good to see games running as fast on the new OS without needing 4 gigs of memory).

@GoldenTiger: You are obviously a NV fan. Why are you continually "stealth threadcrapping"?

Of course. Sorry for a lack of clarification. My point still stands though, ATI's early adoption of dotnet has allowed them to get to grips with Vista better than NV so far (good to see games running as fast on the new OS without needing 4 gigs of memory).

@GoldenTiger: You are obviously a NV fan. Why are you continually "stealth threadcrapping"?

Just a purveyor of common sense. Getting so defensive would indicate you're what you supposedly loathe (being a "fan"), of ATI.

Saving money?

What makes you think R600 will launch at a low price? Recent video card launches have all been very expensive and usually inflated the first few weeks until they settle to MSRP, which on its own is high. You don't really think ATI's going to launch their premier part at a mid-range price, do you? Any company is there to make money, not be generous.

Back