R600, HDCP over Dual link DVI

Tempest

Weaksauce
I'm going to be purchasing the Dell 3007WFP-HC, and i've recently discovered that the HDCP protocol does not work over dual link dvi. I've also read through several topics that this needs to be addressed on the video card side of things. So my question is: Is the R600 going to be able to support HDCP content over Dual link dvi??? I've heard conflicting info on this...some say yes and some say no.

I'm inclined to say it will support HDCP. Past chips have been capable but many AIBs didn't include the option. I wouldn't be surprised to see a HDMI 1.3 option on the card since the chipsets they just released all have the option. I'd expect the entire lineup to have the option.

Well, the question is not if the card will support HDCP...i already know it will....the question is if it will run HDCP across dual link DVI connection for the full 2560 x 1600 resolution?

current software(power dvd) hd-dvd/blueray players only require graphic card to have HDCP support to be able to display the video at full 1080p. Your monitor could be vga/hdmi/sl-dvi/dl-dvi (with or without HDCP) and with resolution at/beyond 2560x1600, the video will be displayed

that sounds positive, but your response contradicts what everyone else has been saying in the HTPC forums. Do you have any proof of this?

That is because it is 100% untrue.

The monitor must be HDCP compilant, and must be able to establish an HDCP handshake. This cannot be done over VGA.

As for the output of the R600, I would have to say that it will be HDCP compliant, regardless of Single/Dual link. Its possible that it may switch to single-link for HDCP compliance, but that will still be able to support the resolution of the HD content.

However, nobody can truly answer this question until the chip/board comes out.

that sounds positive, but your response contradicts what everyone else has been saying in the HTPC forums. Do you have any proof of this?

Quote from anandtech (but I also independently tested this.. all that is required is HDCP card like 8800 series)

Anandtech 3007 review said:
The good news is that so far none of the HDCP videos that we've seen are enabling the Image Constraint Token, so for now you should be able to get full quality video whether you have an HDCP LCD, non-HDCP LCD, or even an older analog display. The only thing that appears to be required right now for viewing HDCP content on a computer is a graphics card that supports HDCP. Hopefully, that doesn't change, and given that the encryption algorithms have already been cracked for both Blu-ray and HD-DVD it seems that further locking down content will primarily hurt legitimate users......

source: http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2940&p=8

The good news is that so far none of the HDCP videos that we've seen are enabling the Image Constraint Token

To be honest, unless they can fix the now gaping holes in the HD-DVD/Bluray security, then i very much doubt that a publisher is going to release any content with the ICT at all. It was simply another security method to stop digital content being captured over the analogue ports, which is absolutely pointless now that it can be captured digitally and 100% perfect with almost no effort whatsoever.

Pro's of adding it to a title - None (unless they can fix the security, which is doubtfull now)
Con's of adding it to a title- another kick it the teeth to consumers who dont have HDCP supported monitors/etc.

The good news is that so far none of the HDCP videos that we've seen are enabling the Image Constraint Token

To be honest, unless they can fix the now gaping holes in the HD-DVD/Bluray security, then i very much doubt that a publisher is going to release any content with the ICT at all. It was simply another security method to stop digital content being captured over the analogue ports, which is absolutely pointless now that it can be captured digitally and 100% perfect with almost no effort whatsoever.

Pro's of adding it to a title - None (unless they can fix the security, which is doubtfull now)
Con's of adding it to a title- another kick it the teeth to consumers who dont have HDCP supported monitors/etc.

the information above regarding non-HDCP displays is false. i own:
-visiontek x1950pro 256MB agp and it has hdcp DVI outputs.
-dell 2001fp, which does NOT have hdcp.
-XBox360 USB HD DVD player.

NONE of the HD DVD discs play without HDCP-displays. you MUST have HDCP display in order for winDVD/PowerDVD to work and play those titles back. otherwise, you have to use VGA to get playback, and even then the latest builds of the software don't allow it. the software people are pre-empting ICT by making up their own requirements for HD DVD playback. you CANNOT play HD DVD's back on non-HDCP enabled displays. you must have the full chain of HDCP video cards with crypto-rom AND HDCP displays. the software will check those things before playing anything.

now, once i have decrypted the titles i own, THEN i can play the same titles on non-HDCP displays.

so regardless of ICT or not, the software vendors winDVD and powerDVD have made it their own mission to enforce it already.

so unless you just want VGA playback, which *should* work but doesn't really, or decrypt the content prior to enjoying it, then you must have the whole HDCP chain.

Back