R710 V1 vs V2 question

farscapesg1

2[H]4U
Anyone familiar with the the differences between V1 and V2 of the Dell R710 servers? I've got 2 V2 servers and 1 v1 server that I would like to make use of. I've looked all over but the only differences I can find appear to be CPU support (v2 support 130W CPUs).

What I'm running into is that the v1 server system fans are running about 1000 RPM higher than the v2 servers under the same load. Swapping fans doesn't make a difference. I've swapped out the memory modules also, just to compare. The v2's are running X5650 procs vs the v1 server which has a single X5550 which is the only difference other than the motherboard.

Any ideas if this is just a difference between the motherboard versions? Possibly the CPU model? Or do the system fans run faster with only 1 CPU vs. 2?

I could get a replacement motherboard (v2) or replace the CPU (with an Intel L5640 perferrably), but don't feel like spending the money if that's not going to drop the RPMs. I guess I could pull a CPU from one of the Gen2's temporarily to test and see if it is the CPU model.. but that doesn't rule out the dual CPU configuration (unless I pull both).

BIOS versions and firmware are all up to date and match. There is only one fan setting in the BIOS, and it is set to "minimal power" for all 3 servers. Power settings in general are set to "OS Control" for all three.

Do the OS power setting match as well (v1 may be set to full power)? still sounds like a BIOS level sort of issue though. Maybe you can try SpeedFan on the v1 to see if you can get any fan control on it.

All 3 are running ESXi configured with Balanced power settings. That's part of what is baffling me so much. Wish I had another v1 server at work still to compare, but we decommissioned and salvaged all of them (which is where I got these three).

Bought 2 L5630's off of Bleeblak8 to test if the issue was with the X5550 proc. Got the same fan RPMs using a L5630 though. Figured since I had a second I'd steal a heatsink from one of the other servers and run it with two procs... voila, lower RPMs. No idea why it makes a difference, but the system fans are more inline now with my R710's. Still running about 400 RPM faster.. but I think that is due to the system board reporting 2c higher than the other servers.

Back