R9 290 or GTX 780 ¿what i should get?

Ostrovsky

n00b
Hi, im confused... some people say that the R9 290 is better in any aspect and other says that is true but the GTX 780 use less cpu resources because the Physcx and im confused...

¿What GPU i should get? What is the best option for me?

Processor: i7 2600
Mobo: Z77 PRO-4M
Ram: 8GB HyperX Beast (dual channel)
Samsung 840 EVO.

Are you willing to buy used? A used 290 for around 250-300 is hard to resist

don't buy anything right now if you can help it. The 880 series is coming probably next month

If you really need to get something right now I would go with the 290 / 290x, otherwise just wait.

I was just in your same situation...there was a guy local who was selling about 6 R9 290x's for $350 and I picked one up. Came from a 560ti, man what a difference!! I think the price point for the 290/290x is at the sweet spot right now, all the used 780's were $500+. If you can't wait for the 800 series, I think the R9 290/290x is an awesome choice.

The release of the 880 will have more of an impact on the 780 than the R9 290's. So if you were genuinely eyeing the 780 than yes by waiting a month or two you might save $50-100 over buying today. The R9 290 is already priced well below the 780 and given the miners sell offs going on now that market seems to have settled where it is and has been for many weeks now. That is to say in October used 290's probably won't be going for substantially less than they are now. Even the retail ones won't move down as much as the 780's are likely to.
So its not a crime to make a move on a good 290 now. Between the FSFT forum here at [H] and ebay you can always find 290's in the $250 range and if you can win an auction sometimes 290X's go for less than $300, certainly no more than $330.

I was just in your same situation...there was a guy local who was selling about 6 R9 290x's for $350 and I picked one up. Came from a 560ti, man what a difference!! I think the price point for the 290/290x is at the sweet spot right now, all the used 780's were $500+. If you can't wait for the 800 series, I think the R9 290/290x is an awesome choice.

I sold my Evga 780 SC here for $400 shipped at least 2 months ago. So I'm not sure what's up with your local prices. Unless you mean 780ti

I already have a R9 290, i bought it for $228 dlls on Ebay whit 1.6 years of warranty left. But for some reason i want the 780. The R9 290 is great but in some DirectX11 games my cpu seems to bottleneck, even when parking core is disable, power options are in performance mode and even when is OC.

I think is not worht spending an extra $195 dlls por similar performance.
(sorry for my english)

If your CPU is bottlenecking a 290, it'll do the same for a 780. Not worth the price difference.

I already have a R9 290, but in some DirectX11 games my cpu seems to bottleneck, even when parking core is disable,
How did you determine the "CPU Bottleneck"?
Just to confirm: i7 2600 - four cores, eight threads, right?

Maybe not bottleneck... but i get alot of crazy spikes wich dont let me to play BF4 and COD Ghosts...

Look at the yellow spikes, wich is the CPU. This spikes do not happend whit Mantle... only whit DirectX11.
bf4.jpg

Hi, im confused... some people say that the R9 290 is better in any aspect and other says that is true but the GTX 780 use less cpu resources because the Physcx and im confused...

¿What GPU i should get? What is the best option for me?

Processor: i7 2600
Mobo: Z77 PRO-4M
Ram: 8GB HyperX Beast (dual channel)
Samsung 840 EVO.

dosnt really matter what card both does the job good.
Mantle however makes it for the games that support Mantle the better option a 290 for those without doubt.
physx? a gimmick.

Maybe not bottleneck... but i get alot of crazy spikes wich dont let me to play BF4 and COD Ghosts...

Look at the yellow spikes, wich is the CPU. This spikes do not happend whit Mantle... only whit DirectX11.

Mantle takes away the CPU bottle neck. With Mantle on my wife's Pentium @ 4.5ghz and a 270x plays BF4 Fine lol So if your cpu is the bottle neck it's going to be on any high end card.

bf4.jpg

I don't think those "spikes" are indicating an overworked CPU. It's just showing your cpu doing a little work

Back