Racing console

Mr.Pickles

Gawd
I want a console that has good racing games. I personally like all racing fom the GT series need for speed and many more. Just was wondering which one to get because I only like ragin and flight games on console....

can I hook headphones up to it I really don't know last console I had was a PS1 the big blocky ones and been getting racing on with the PC but I am tired of using a keyboard for racing....

sorry for rant but what good tiles are out?

GT5 Prologue is out and it has more stuff than most full games
Full version is out next year... and its gona rock your world

You got Motorstorm (MS 2 coming), Burnout Paradise and a couple more titles to hold you over

I would actually disagree about the PS3. I would get a 360 if you want racing games. You have the Project Gotham series as well as Forza Motorsports 2. Not too mention all the cross platform titles. Burnout, Need for Speed, Dirt, Nascar. All multiplatform

can I hook headphones up to it I really don't know last console I had was a PS1 the big blocky ones and been getting racing on with the PC but I am tired of using a keyboard for racing....

sorry for rant but what good tiles are out?

Then buy a steering wheel/pedal set or at least a 360 controller for your computer. best racing game if your diehard racing fan is GTR2 (for the pc) hands down.

GT5 for PS3

/thread

Then maybe others, but also look for "Grid" from Codemasters.

GT5 for PS3

/thread

Then maybe others, but also look for "Grid" from Codemasters.

agreed, plus you can play all the cross platform games on the PS3 as well

the GT series is by far the best racing sim on any platform, and if you get a 60 or 80gb PS3 you can play previous PS2 GT titles as well.

6 months ago i would've said Xbox360. Now, PS3.

I have both consoles and used to only play my xbox360 for racing. Now i barely turn it on since i got Dirt and Burnout and GT5: Prologue....not even talking about GT3 and GT4 for PS2 that i play on my 60gigger.

Don't forget F1: Championship Edition, although the cars are two seasons old now. Its still a must own game if you are an F1 fan such as myself. Sony owns the F1 license (and I believe the WRC one too since all previous WRC games were exclusive to the PS2). The Ferrari F2007 is in GT5:p too! I guess anything FIA-sanctioned (minus the sex scandal) will be with Sony.

If you don't want to blow cash on the G25, the DFP and DFGT are also better than the rest of the steering wheels on the console market.

I've had more fun playing Moto GP on my 360 than anything else. Not to mention Forza, the burnout series and my personal favorite, Test Drive Unlimited. There's nothing like cruising around the entire island of Oahu and competing in races when I feel like it and not when I necessarily have to.

It really is a shame that Wii couldn't compete more with the big boys. The Wiimote would have been a perfect application for racing games:(

What's that Formula1 game for PS3 like? Sony pisses me off when they buy the F1 license for games and only release it for the PS3 and not the PC too. No one else is allowed to make an official F1 game except Sony because they paid for the license.

Well blame the person who sold it to them. The Playstation brand is hugely popular in Europe, so much that there are some exclusive European games made by European studios during the days of PS2. Its only natural since F1 has its European roots. You can see the PS brand almost everywhere in Europe. Besides, the commercial rights holder of F1 is a money mongerer, polygamist, and who knows what else. Sometimes, you gotta pay to play.

F1 CE and GT5:p are both out now. GT5:p is wonderful. The new cockpit view is gorgeous.
Other upcoming exclusives include Wipeout HD next month and Motostorm 2 this fall. Plus the multi-platform games like Burnout:paradise and Dirt, which allegedly run slightly better on the PS3.

Oh and PS3 has the best wheels available for racing games.

Don't forget Ferrari Challenge which is PS3 exclusive and looks absolutely stunning!

FWIW Dirt and Paradise are both better on the PS3 too......

and my personal favorite, Test Drive Unlimited. There's nothing like cruising around the entire island of Oahu and competing in races when I feel like it and not when I necessarily have to.

SECONDED.

The variety of races, the scenery, and the list of cars (not to mention the ability to select your interior colors... nice little touch) in TDU is one of the main reasons I'm re-purchasing a 360. The only real knock I have on it is a lack of Porsches and Lancer Evos, but there are two (I think) different RUFs available as DLC.

Plus, I missed out on the Zonda Roadster promo. :(

Sure the game is about two years old and the car physics never exactly set the world on fire, but there is no experience like it (and for only about $20 currently).

PS3. Main reason, you can hook up a Logitech G25 to the thing and it works great. Im using it on Formula One, GT5:p, and other racing games. The 360 wheel isnt worth a damn in comparison to the logitech offerings on the PS3.

Yeah get a PS3. Tons of racing games, and you can't go wrong with Burnout and GT5 (both look great and have online multiplayer if you're into that sort of thing).

F1 is great aspecially with the new D3 controller. I haven't played F1 racing this good since Andretti racing on PS1.

F1 is great aspecially with the new D3 controller. I haven't played F1 racing this good since Andretti racing on PS1.

yeah, F1 is really really good on the PS3. Purists might be a bit disappointed(and i am), but its all thats available and its still by far a great game to play.

As of now, the 360 is the better of the two. Forza 2 is the most complete racer out on the next gen consoles. GT5:p looks great, but it doesn't have the content to compare like the full game will whenever it comes out. Test Drive unlimited and the PGR series cancel out F1 and Motorstorm and the multi platform titles are too similar to really matter.

Basically it comes down to: Do you like F1? Are you willing to wait for GT5? Do you have a G25 setup already? If the answer to two or more of those questions is yes then get a PS3. If not, you have to decide if you're buying for enjoyment now (360) versus enjoyment later (PS3).

As of now, the 360 is the better of the two. Forza 2 is the most complete racer out on the next gen consoles. GT5:p looks great, but it doesn't have the content to compare like the full game will whenever it comes out. Test Drive unlimited and the PGR series cancel out F1 and Motorstorm and the multi platform titles are too similar to really matter.

Basically it comes down to: Do you like F1? Are you willing to wait for GT5? Do you have a G25 setup already? If the answer to two or more of those questions is yes then get a PS3. If not, you have to decide if you're buying for enjoyment now (360) versus enjoyment later (PS3).

I dont really think TDU cancels outa nything. PGR ill give you altho PGR4 was a bit of a let down overall. F1 really is a solid racer, and Motorstorm is nice because its just different.

Besides, the commercial rights holder of F1 is a money mongerer, polygamist, and who knows what else. Sometimes, you gotta pay to play.

I heard he is a dick but never a polygamist. How many wives does he have? Thing is, I only buy racing sims for the PC even if I do have a PS3. Don't want to have to buy wheel and pedals for both systems and playing a racing sim from my couch on the PS3 just doesn't appeal to me.

SECONDED.

The variety of races, the scenery, and the list of cars (not to mention the ability to select your interior colors... nice little touch) in TDU is one of the main reasons I'm re-purchasing a 360. The only real knock I have on it is a lack of Porsches and Lancer Evos, but there are two (I think) different RUFs available as DLC.

Plus, I missed out on the Zonda Roadster promo. :(

Sure the game is about two years old and the car physics never exactly set the world on fire, but there is no experience like it (and for only about $20 currently).

Ever try rFactor on the PC? It has so many mods that you can drive just about any car you desire and the physics are decent too. You can buy it at Walmart now for about twenty bucks too.

No cockpit in Forza and PGR I didn't care for too much. Felt too arcade to me. But that was using a gamepad too so it is hard to judge a racing game using a gamepad. I was excited to get that bike racing sim on the 360 but I tried demos for two different versions and using a twitchy gamepad sucked. The old Superbike 2001 and a joystick on the PC is still better, IMO.

I have both a PS3 (with GT5 prologue) and a 360....I prefer the PGR games to GT and always choose multi platform racers (NFS etc..) for the 360 because I like the controller better.

I have both, and while I haven't had the PS3 for very long, I prefer racing on the 360. I don't care for simulation type games so the GT series is out. I prefer PGR, and like joemama above, I buy multi-platformers on the 360 because I much prefer the controller.

PS3 because of the G25. I don't even have it, but used it at a friend's house and it is awesome. Playing with a controller just doesn't do a racing game justice.

PS3 because of the G25. I don't even have it, but used it at a friend's house and it is awesome. Playing with a controller just doesn't do a racing game justice.

It's not black and white, various wheels will perform just fine despite what the G25 owners say. I love how PS3/G25 fanboys act like it's the only option out there. It's not sound advice to recommend a system because it's compatible with a $230 racing setup without at least asking his financial situation.

It's not black and white, various wheels will perform just fine despite what the G25 owners say. I love how PS3/G25 fanboys act like it's the only option out there. It's not sound advice to recommend a system because it's compatible with a $230 racing setup without at least asking his financial situation.

Maybe my enthusiasm came off wrong. :(

I am certainly not saying the G25 is the only option. I am simply saying that playing with a racing wheel is MUCH better than playing with a gamepad.

And maybe your comment wasn't directed at me, but I am certainly not a Sony fanboy. I own both a PS3 and a 360 and I love them both. As a matter of fact, Forza 2 is probably my favorite "complete" racing game for either system (GT5:p is awesome, but it certainly isn't complete compared to the other GT games).

I just think for a true racing "purist", the PS3 would be the way to go. You are more than welcome to disagree with that.

I have Microsoft Force Feedback wheel and pedals. Does that work with the PS3? Couldn't use it even if it is possible because there is no desk to attach it to in front of my living room couch.

I have Microsoft Force Feedback wheel and pedals. Does that work with the PS3? Couldn't use it even if it is possible because there is no desk to attach it to in front of my living room couch.

Possible , although I highly doubt it. My 360 vision cam works on my PS3, so it's worth a try.

GTR2 and RACE 07.

Put the wheel where it belongs. On a PC.

I have my second PS3 hooked up to my 26" lcd where my computer is also hooked up. G25 is going through a KVM, so my wheel works on both systems.

LFS, and Race07 get just as much gaming as GT5P does. I have my 2nd 360 there too, but unfortunately the 360 doesnt support the HID g25, if it did, id say it would be a wash between consoles for racers.

If you race with a controller, you really just dont know.

I heard he is a dick but never a polygamist. How many wives does he have? Thing is, I only buy racing sims for the PC even if I do have a PS3. Don't want to have to buy wheel and pedals for both systems and playing a racing sim from my couch on the PS3 just doesn't appeal to me.

I was just exaggerating about the polygamist remark (remember what he said about Danica Patrick?). And all wheels compatible with the PS3 will work with the PC since every device that connects to the PS3 uses USB. It just happens Logitech makes a great $150 wheel for the PS2/PS3 that also works with the PC. If you don't like playing on the couch then do something about it nobody said you HAD to play on the couch. Connect the console to a LCD on your desktop, build a cockpit, whatever. There are some hardcore people out there who do whatever it takes to get the best experience available. The more casual people will do just fine with a contoller and a comfy sofa.

It just happens Logitech makes a great $150 wheel for the PS2/PS3 that also works with the PC.

The Logitech driving force GT is the officially licensed GT5 wheel. I've read it's got the same force feedback and underlying technology as the G25, only without the clutch pedal and real leather etc. I don't know from firsthand experience, but I've read the force feedback is more advanced than what is available from X360's wheels. The on the fly adjustments look neat.

Save for a G25 if you like simulation. G25 is highly mod-able and even stock it seriously owns the crap out of any of the lower end wheels. You can usually see it on buy.com for $200 if you wanted to wait. But if you arent in a hurry then G25 is the way to go if youre already spending $150 on a driving force GT.

Clutch + H-Pattern + Leather wheel > On the fly TCS controlling.

Back