Racist Game What a Stupid Move

Status
Not open for further replies.
fwiw I recall an FPS based on muslim jihad type activity, with sharon the final boss.

Ice Czar said:
well there are several dictionaries
I agree 3c is a useful definition

but when you apply 2a to a country as large as the US problems aise

2 a : a family, tribe, people, or nation belonging to the same stock b : a class or kind of people unified by community of interests, habits, or characteristics

one as a country we dont belong to the same stock
we have rarely had a unified community, interests or even charcteristics
at least that where truely on a national and ethnic level
with mass media that has grown closer and closer but using race as a descriptor of Americans I think is about as valid as trying to apply the same to Europe as a whole, the Britsh Commonwealth, NATO, Warsaw pact, G7 ect.

Canada :p

2b talks of a class or kind of people, yet there is no truely representative class or kind outside of sterotypes in media, and they are largely exclusive of other highly divergent yet equally valid groups in america

think even employing that definition its a stretch to employ "American Race"
which is why they used a more homogenized example, a considerable time has passed since the Celts, Picts, Britians, Romans, Jutes, Angles, Saxons, Normans, and likely assorted ancestors of yours (not that some already listed couldnt be in the group) where distinct races\cultures in England ;)

and even now new immigrants throughout Europe are invaildating the idea of country as a basis of Race

I see your points. I think one of mine was that you can have racism between members of different nations, even when it's hard to define the members of one (or both) as a race. It's not a very big issue anymore, though.

As for nationality as basis for race, I agree that it has been dead for a while.
There's still some echoes, though. If you ask a norwegian what groups[1] makes up "norwegians", the answer might well be "norwegians, sami and immigrants", with "norwegians" refering to the white majority. [2]

The most common use of "nation as race" seems to be in enemy propaganda, anyway. :)

[1] "Folkegrupper", "groups of people", would be the word to use. "Race" as a word used about people hasn't changed the way it has in english, so it's quite dead. It's a rather neutral word, but it's also rather vague. ("Children" are a folkegruppe.)
[2] Doesn't have to be anything racist in this; There has traditionally only been one race of norwegians. The sami are something of a nation-in-the-nation, and we've only had a notable number of immigrants the last 30 years. There hasn't traditionally been a need for a better way to describe that group.

To start off: This game is actually pretty old. I feel that the only reason it is being brought up is the whole GTA episode thats happening recently.

I am suprised that no one has claimed that this kind of thing should be censored, banned etc. although I am sure thats how some feel. Those who share the same beliefs as the game's creators are a minority compared to the whole population. By censoring even the most outrageous things we would begin our decline down the slippery slope. There are no reasons to censor any ideas, because if an idea has any merit, it will withstand any claims to falsify it.
The sad reality is that a few people will believe the things that are preached in this game, but there is nothing we can do about it. We do not live in a utopia.

Actually, there were several cries to censor it, from what I saw. At least, borderline.

I actually had this argument (over racist sects in society) a few days ago.

I think the people who are worried about this type of thing should note that not a single person has said it's a good idea.

superthrawn said:
I think the people who are worried about this type of thing should note that not a single person has said it's a good idea.

While I agree, that could be because they don't dare.

Alright, then, I'll say it.

It's a good idea to express your beliefs in any way possible, so long as you don't harm anyone else in doing so.

Edit: clarity.

superthrawn said:
Alright, then, I'll say it.

It's a good idea to express your beliefs in any way possible, so long as you don't harm anyone else in doing so.

Edit: clarity.

I guess the black community could claim that the game in question teaches the players to associate black people with negative values, which is a kind of harm.

Like people playing GTA learn to screw hookers and then beat them with a baseball bat for their money?

Then you're forgiven. I just thought it was cliche that I'd seen Voltaire used in the last week twice to defend free speech when it came to racism. :)

superthrawn said:
Then you're forgiven. I just thought it was cliche that I'd seen Voltaire used in the last week twice to defend free speech when it came to racism. :)

Well, he did summarise the essence of the "Free Speech vs. Things We Don't Like"-debate into that quote. :)

HHunt said:
I guess the black community could claim that the game in question teaches the players to associate black people with negative values, which is a kind of harm.

I remember a bunch of my friends talking awhile back about two jews, Jerry Springer and Maury Povich, exploiting blacks for ratings because of particularly raunchy show topics that almost exclusively involved blacks. One of my female friends said it was absolutely the jewish media trying to make blacks look bad. I personally don't believe in it either way. They make bad TV to make big ratings and money.

However, she was foaming at the mouth angry and adamant about the supposed "exploitation"

If people who hate other people based on race are called racists, and people who program games are called dorks, does that mean these people are racist dorks?

"I disapprove of what you say, and I just might kick you in your teeth for saying it.. but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

-ThreeDee

Avid Racists have the most twisted minds and the game is almost guaranteed to be crapper than deer hunter. I'd expect a full review by somethingawful and a rating even lower than the usual -50. lol

HHunt said:
The most common use of "nation as race" seems to be in enemy propaganda, anyway. :)

very true
of course indigenous propaganda is call marketing :p
and is far more finely tuned towards "race"
well at least here.

aint semantics fun? :p

"If you believe certain words, you believe their hidden arguments. When you believe something is right or wrong, true or false, you believe the assumptions in the words which express the arguments. Such assumptions are often full of holes, but remain most precious to the convinced." Frank Herbert

Im actually pretty familiar with the Sami culture at least for an American
have an abiding interest in the world's remaining hunter-gather & nomadic cultures

This is was different than, say, GTA or Battlefield.
This game is about killing people because they are black, or because they are jewish, or whatever.
In GTA, there are black enemies, white enemies, etc., and also, Carl is never really displayed as a hero.
In Battlefield, they are recreating battles between countries from a neutral point of view, with both races being playable.

GTA is a good game that's about as racist as a James Bond movie (OMG HE SHOT THE BLACK GUY!!!!!!!111one). This racist game is a game that even states that it's based on racism.

yeh my primary prejudice is against star fleet officers that wear red shirts :p

Kritter said:
Avid Racists have the most twisted minds and the game is almost guaranteed to be crapper than deer hunter. I'd expect a full review by somethingawful and a rating even lower than the usual -50. lol

deer hunter is a pretty good game man.. i like turkey hunter beter though....

i'm not being sarcastic here.. i really mean this lol...

well I should be downright offended with black people making monkey noises and then there is leisure suit larry.................

people have a right to publish what they want as long as they cause no violent harm to anyone. if idiots want to play and believe this is what is real, then their brains will eventually fry up and they will die from the pink eye.

who gives a crap?

machwireless said:
who gives a crap?

well those responsible for maintaining a forum free from racial bias
at least when it comes to discussion of such a sensitive subject
for the record when this thread was started Spectre wasnt a mod :p

and its pretty firmly established in law that simply inciting people to comit crimes can be grounds for not only censorship but in the case of Julius Streicher death
thus there are hate speech and incitement to riot provisions to most countries press and media laws.

I think this topic has been throughly explored and can be put to bed now ;)
thanxs for all the thoughtful but more importantly mature discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back