Radeon 5750, 3monitors question

onebelo

Weaksauce
im currently running a radeon 4850 + older radeon PCI card in order to get 3 LCD connected. unfortunately with Windows 7, the PCI card is now a legacy device therefore is no longer supported by ATI in newer drivers so if I update the drivers, the 3rd LCD no longer works as the PCI is not recognized by Windows 7. I can only get the 3rd LCD to work if I keep the default windows 7 drivers. Since I dont game, its not a big deal at the moment however I do notice some refresh issues within photoshop cs4.

my question is this, with limited optinos for PCI-e x1 video cards .. with the Radeon 5750, will I be able to activate 3 monitors without eyefinity? since I dont game, i just want the ability to use 3 monitors as extended desktops. Right now I have 3 20" widescreen, hwoever I would like to upgrade to a 24" and use 2 20" on the side in portrait mode. I know eyefinity currently doesnt support mixed orientation and different resolutions, but will I still be able to get 3 monitors going without activating Eyefinity?

Of course you can.
If you intend to use only the 5750, you will still have to have use the Displayport connector. You will need an active displayport to DVI adapter.

Alternatively you can just plug in both the 5750 and the 4850 if you have 2 PCIe 16x slots and just use the DVI plugs on both of them.

unfortunately i only have 1 x16 slots. shouldve gotten a mobo with 2 back when i built this pc. :)

so if i have an active displayport > dvi connector, all 3 monitors will work even with different resolution and orientation?

Yes you can have a three monitor desktop. You will however need one of the monitors to have a displayport port. While the ports on the card don't force this I think that HDMI input into the card is shared with one of the DVI ports, so you can't plug a monitor into both of them.

unfortunately i only have 1 x16 slots. shouldve gotten a mobo with 2 back when i built this pc. :)

so if i have an active displayport > dvi connector, all 3 monitors will work even with different resolution and orientation?

Yes, that's just basic functionality like a laptop would support with an external monitor.

excellent. thanks for the info. instead of spending $100 on the adapter, guess ill just wait for deal on the dell U2410, since i been wanting to upgrade to 24" anyways for photo editing :D

Back