Radeon HD 3870 X2 pics

if they get quad crossfire running we will have a new performance leader.

and the good news is that nvidia will have to react finally.

Wow. The only thing that might be a problem with that design how the hot air from the first GPU will get blown over the second GPU....Might hurt over clocks a bit. Either way, I'm totally stoked to see the 1-card solution coming back to life.

I'd probably have to remove plastic shroud and fan and slap on my own fans to the heat sinks. I run an open case anyhow, since mine is poorly ventilated.

if they get quad crossfire running we will have a new performance leader.

and the good news is that nvidia will have to react finally.

Wouldnt one of these cards be the new performance leader? I recall seeing crossfire results for 3DWank with two 3870's being in the region of 18,000 marks.

Wouldnt one of these cards be the new performance leader? I recall seeing crossfire results for 3DWank with two 3870's being in the region of 18,000 marks.

Rumor is two 3870's will slightly beat one 8800Ultra at a 200.00 lower price. I got two 3870's coming today and will find out ;)

Its a spectacular undertaking thats for sure. Though, I cant help but wish they did their first new X2 card using a better base card rather then the 3870. Not that its a horrible card, its just not the best, or close. As ambitious as it is, if Nvidia decides to pull a 8800GT X2, I somewhat expect the 3870X2 to be put to shame.

Either way, I always enjoy seeing wild looking cards like these coming out.

the x2 series of nvidia fails always because they dont have a refined chip process technology. always a slight die shrink that never is enough to make it cooler or quieter. 8000 series was the first to beat amd for power to performance and especially cost in a long time. 7 series sucked, 6600gt was great for a small while, prior to that it was pre 9700. also, 8800gt is expensive to produce vs the 3870. 2x that and it just wont be cheap.

I wonder if 4 of those things will fit in a system. Get a nice OctFire setup going.

don't think you can pull of an OctoFire setup. The 3870 x2 needs the 3x2 and 4x2 power connectors on each card and they only have one 'Crossfire Connecter Finger'.

the x2 series of nvidia fails always because they dont have a refined chip process technology. always a slight die shrink that never is enough to make it cooler or quieter. 8000 series was the first to beat amd for power to performance and especially cost in a long time. 7 series sucked, 6600gt was great for a small while, prior to that it was pre 9700. also, 8800gt is expensive to produce vs the 3870. 2x that and it just wont be cheap.

Sorry, I must have missed something. The 7 cards were excellent, and Id like to see your numbers concerning the cost to produce 8800gt vs 3870.

Wow. The only thing that might be a problem with that design how the hot air from the first GPU will get blown over the second GPU....Might hurt over clocks a bit.

The air gets sucked in the fan and blown out the back of the case...

You all act like this is somthing new

Maybe for ati

but nvidia has had quad SLI, i guess everyone forgot the 7950GX2

Oh well...

[RIP]Zeus;1031674642 said:

Maybe for ati

Oh well...

And 3dfx had it in 1998.

I only hope these make it to the market at a reasonable price and aren't just for show...

I wonder if 4 of those things will fit in a system. Get a nice OctFire setup going.

4 of those will fit, the problem is they only have one CrossFire connector, I would venture to say if this picks up enough momentum then we would see revisions with 2 connectors, and picks of 3870's daisy chaining

Theoretically you can do Hexo-Crossfire

2 x 3870x2's
2 x 3870's

Put the 2 3870s in the middle and 2 3870 x2's on the side

Since you used theoretically in your post, yea you can do Hexo over the PCI-e bus, how ever there will be a fairly major performance hit (PCIe2.0 is too new to see this yet but I'm sure its there).

Either way with True CF and trying to use conventional crossfire using the bridge, having a fully octo-Crossfire setup with those cards wouldn't be conceivable.

Okey, it will be noisy, but less noisy than the 2900 XT, so there is no fear for the noise from my point of view.

The 2900 XT uses 285 Watts, ami correct?

a single 3870 uses 105 watt, according to what ive read, 2x 105 watt = 210 watt, less than 2900 XT, however, this is in normal 2x 3870, when doing dual GPU/mem on one card, you will get slighty less, like 200 watts to do a wild guess, most likely anything under 215 watts,

doing 2x of theese beast's hold themself under 500 watts, which is impressive to be in theory 4 cards, nvidia have at the moment no answer.

I think this solution is very good indeed, instead of doing higher clock, and getting more heat/powerconsumtion ratio per fps, and infact, actually having to develop a better card.

Ati talked about a "LEGO" theory, however, this is a very long time ago, with manufactures being able to add the amount of gpu's they want and so on, the start of this ?

I dont think so though, might be, making crossfire the base tech behind this "LEGO" idea isnt that bad actually.

the lego concept might be one of my strange dreams.

Well, im not sure what to say about theese beast's. Cheaper than the ultra probaly, performs better in certant games prolly.

Thing is after 2 cards your average performance increase is around 8% :eek: :(

Tri SLI and Tri Cross X are a HUGE waste !!! We need single chip solutions people,not more garbage.Now the two chips on a single PCB as seen yesterday in that 3870 X2 pic has got my curiosty for sure.ATI must likely have some sort of 'bridge' chip beteewn the two 670's/680's on that card.

I wonder what Nvidias answer will be ? Something cool looking like the 3870 X2 or a another GX2 style,dual pcb+/dual chip solution thats hot,and flakey,and realies on crappy sli profiles to work,and has scaling issues for games that refuse to use chip '2'.... :(

I dont,at all like the red PCB,but might have to make an exception here. :eek:

Here's a good question, will these fit into any cases? My Mozart TX has about an inch left if I take out the intake fan, I bet this won't fit.:(

[RIP]Zeus;1031674642 said:

Maybe for ati

Oh well...

Exactly--not only had it (2 years ago), but there are many good reasons why there aren't still thousands of people using it, which they would be if it had lived up to its theoretical potential.

And 3dfx had it in 1998.

You read my mind! Voodoo 5 6000! I bet the guys who designed that beast still drink themselves to sleep thinking about what might have been...

Thing is after 2 cards your average performance increase is around 8% :eek: :(

Tri SLI and Tri Cross X are a HUGE waste !!! We need single chip solutions people,not more garbage.Now the two chips on a single PCB as seen yesterday in that 3870 X2 pic has got my curiosty for sure.ATI must likely have some sort of 'bridge' chip beteewn the two 670's/680's on that card.

I wonder what Nvidias answer will be ? Something cool looking like the 3870 X2 or a another GX2 style,dual pcb+/dual chip solution thats hot,and flakey,and realies on crappy sli profiles to work,and has scaling issues for games that refuse to use chip '2'.... :(

I dont,at all like the red PCB,but might have to make an exception here. :eek:

Yeah, I haven't seen anything yet that repeals the law of diminishing returns on multi-GPU solutions. Sure they "just beat out an Ultra"--I'm guessing they do with low or no AA, on one or two of the 5 games where the drivers enable the second GPU at all... oh and of course with 3DMark, yay!

Crossfire or SLI, whether dual or quad, is not cost-effective as a way to get high-end performance with mid-range parts, because the scaling and the universal reliable results just aren't there. All of which assumes that this card isn't just another X700XT, or will be released in quantity far enough in advance of the R700 line to matter.

I think it would definitely be the new performance leader...but you know nVidia has something ready to go at the push of a button should that happen.

In general nVidia has the superior technology right now, their shader core is just a better design. I don't foresee ATi surpassing them in a no-holds-barred performance competition any time soon. However, ATi seems to have successfully ramped up 55nm production, so they might be able to leverage that to offer aggressive pricing and lower power consumption.

As soon as the 3870 X2 comes out, you'll see a dual G92 with higher clocks that will kick the crap out of it. The only question is, how much will it cost.

EHM, WE NEED MULTI GPU SOLUTIONS.

However, multi gpu gotta evolve, i think this is what ati is going to do

lower end cards, in multi gpu. however, this card is locked to intel and amd chipset's (and uli ofcourse)

sucks abit.

But, people just, do we need multi cpu's ?, and the answer was yes.

Its a spectacular undertaking thats for sure. Though, I cant help but wish they did their first new X2 card using a better base card rather then the 3870. Not that its a horrible card, its just not the best, or close. As ambitious as it is, if Nvidia decides to pull a 8800GT X2, I somewhat expect the 3870X2 to be put to shame.

Either way, I always enjoy seeing wild looking cards like these coming out.

I think the best competition Nvidia has against a 2x 3870x2 setup/4x 3870 is a tri SLi Ultra at the moment

Rumor is two 3870's will slightly beat one 8800Ultra at a 200.00 lower price. I got two 3870's coming today and will find out ;)

Hmm I think your math is very wrong...

Somehow I don't see how $259 x 2 is $200 less than $567 which is the cheapest Ultra. All prices from ZZF.

here in norway does it cost 1100 dollars for a ultra.

and ati have ALWAYS been the cheapest cards around here. our 3870 will be around 250-270 usd.

so, well. nvidia doesnt stand a chance vs 3870 X2. cause of the prices, well nvidia got something in store.. ? g98 or what it was called.

btw, did you guys know a cigarette pack cost 12 dollars in norwaY?. (USD)

Hmm I think your math is very wrong...

Somehow I don't see how $259 x 2 is $200 less than $567 which is the cheapest Ultra. All prices from ZZF.

well for starters, the 3870 is 229 @ Diamond so 229x2 =p is 460 and its $100 cheaper then an 8800ultra, maybe its also cheaper due to the fact that you have only 1 pcb

It most likely hit the market somewhere in late 2008 at around 600-1000 dollars, up there withe the 8800Ultra.

if you are talking about 3870 x2 you are wrong ati plans to sell it for $399

And 3dfx had it in 1998.

A funny side note, when 3DFX introduced SLI apporach to video nVidia was the one coming out the hardest saying it was a waste and wrong direction to take video. Funny how they changed their minds isn'ty it ;)

Back