Radeon HD 4870 and 4850 photos and specs revealed

Is there any creditable source to where you guys are getting this "GTX280 is 2x faster then GX2 rumor?"
Nope, but I am definitely inclined to believe that the new nVidia Geforce GTX 280 will be crazy fast compared to a 9800GX2. Hell nVidia themselves have boasted recently that the performance increase over the last run of cards is the biggest we have seen yet. There have been several people with access to cards that are saying basically..."if you thought the jump from the 7800 series to the 8800 series was big just wait til you get your hands on these new cards." Statements like that sound almost too good to be true, but I am still gonna hold out a little hope that these rumors are true. I would VERY much like to own another card with as much value as the 8800GTX.

Nope, but I am definitely inclined to believe that the new nVidia Geforce GTX 280 will be crazy fast compared to a 9800GX2. Hell nVidia themselves have boasted recently that the performance increase over the last run of cards is the biggest we have seen yet. There have been several people with access to cards that are saying basically..."if you thought the jump from the 7800 series to the 8800 series was big just wait til you get your hands on these new cards." Statements like that sound almost too good to be true, but I am still gonna hold out a little hope that these rumors are true. I would VERY much like to own another card with as much value as the 8800GTX.

Well time and time again we've been plastered with rumors and pre-release snippets of incredible synthetic benchmarks scores prior to the release of new cards and yet the gargantuan performance boosts on games we can actually play is rarely realized. Yes, I think it's safe to say the GTX 280 will be one fast mofo but 'crazy fast' compared to a 9800GX2? Doubtful. And how does one define 'crazy fast'? Kudos to the person who can quantify this... ;)

Simply put, if the GTX 280 matches or barely surpasses the 9800GX2 then Nvidia has scored a major victory. One brand new GPU besting the power of two previous high end GPU's is nothing to sneeze at. It is far more realistic to expect modest performance gains. High end bragging rights are great (as are the profit margins) but Nvidia is probably less worried about losing the speed crown to ATI and much more concerned about whether its soon-to-be former high-end & mid-range cards are about to get spanked by ATI's 4xxx series in the sub $300 market. If ATI's newest babies are as cost effective as they appear to be on paper then Nvidia is going to be forced to initiate painful price cuts to keep its own mid ranged cards in the race, not to mention dropping the price of the GTX 260 if the 4850 catches the lusty eye of bargain hunting gaming geeks who don't care to drop much more than $200 for a decent 3D card. Even then Nvidia's new speed record and price cuts might not be enough to seduce PC makers and OEM card makers considering the lower power requirements of the 48xx cards. And lets not forget gamers who don't feel like buying an expensive power supply in order to have a GTX 260 or 280 humming under the hood.

ATI clearly isn't gunning for Nvidia's GTX 2xx series with the 48xx cards. After all the 48xx series are simply a long overdue evolution of the existing 38xx cards. At best ATI must feel hopeful that the 4870 will have a chance of taking on the GTX 260. More earthly expectations have ATI hoping that its new cards seduce the masses of gamers forced to live with budgetary considerations. That combined with the fact that ATI's new cards will be far more attractive to PC makers looking for speedy cards that require less power, run cooler and cost less.

I am ready to toss this holdover 8600GT to the wayside and given what is on the market and what is coming down the pike I must say the power requirements of these new ATI cards makes them awfully attractive.

Spino said:
how does one define 'crazy fast'? Kudos to the person who can quantify this...

Crazy fast is equivalent to any number ending in a non terminating fraction or dividing by zero. I hope ATi actively attacks the sub $300 USD area, especially with their 1 GB HD 4870 (I want 1 GB of vRAM, and a card that can use it... without spending my entire savings account). I want my kudos.
divide_by_zero1.jpg

Simply put, if the GTX 280 matches or barely surpasses the 9800GX2 then Nvidia has scored a major victory.

I don't see how this could be much of a victory if their new (rumored to be) $600+ card barely surpasses their $5xx card...

Crazy fast is equivalent to any number ending in a non terminating fraction or dividing by zero. I hope ATi actively attacks the sub $300 USD area, especially with their 1 GB HD 4870 (I want 1 GB of vRAM, and a card that can use it... without spending my entire savings account). I want my kudos.

Excellent.

Here is your Kudos. Now go get fat, you earned it!

kudosni3.jpg

Adrnshw6 said:
I don't see how this could be much of a victory if their new (rumored to be) $600+ card barely surpasses their $5xx card...

Good point but when it comes to the high end segment a little performance difference between the fastest and the 'almost fastest' usually translates into a $50+ difference. Nvidia might wind up with another 8800 GTS/ 8800 Ultra situation where they can barely justify charging an arm and a leg for a flagship product that only offers a small performance boost over the 9800 GX2

And how does one define 'crazy fast'? Kudos to the person who can quantify this... ;)

This is a much better definition than the above poster...

Fast = Wile E Coyote on rocket-propelled roller skates

Crazy Fast = Roadrunner passing him... running backwards! :)

This is a much better definition than the above poster...

Fast = Wile E Coyote on rocket-propelled roller skates

Crazy Fast = Roadrunner passing him... running backwards! :)
Mine involved math and is therefore science and true. You get nothing.

I'm hoping the 1 GB version of the HD 4870 won't be over $400 (including shipping).
I don't know what the hell nVidia is calling their cards, but whatever is replacing the 8800 GT (or 9800 GT, if those even exist) should follow suit and be right in that area as well.

There's no good indication what will be price of HD4870 1024MB.. closest is HD2900 XT 1024MB which did cost $100 more than 512MB version.

Geforce 9800 GT should be real since they are already mentioned on new beta drivers..unlike GT200 cards (I think).

I'm hoping the 1 GB version of the HD 4870 won't be over $400 (including shipping).
I don't know what the hell nVidia is calling their cards, but whatever is replacing the 8800 GT (or 9800 GT, if those even exist) should follow suit and be right in that area as well.

I'd expect the 9800GT to be priced below the HD 4850 actually, as it should be a little cheaper for nVidia to produce. However, the performance boost will probably be sorta meh (they'll probably bump-up the clocks a bit and add some media-center-oriented features such as the second gen PureVideo HD they did on the 9600GT and I've heard some rumor of Tri-SLI support as well which would be kinda sorta interesting but even if they only priced it at $200 I'd have to imagine that a single GTX 280 would be of equal/lesser cost than 9800GT Tri-SLI, would have better performance, would output less heat, and would require less power) and then I suppose the 9800GTS is where it gets interesting- if there still is one- just because it almost seems like it should be an improvement over the 9800GTX since the smaller die size and whatnot should let them bump the clocks beyond the 9800GTX's.

For the HD 4870 1024MB, if the diagram from Tom's Hardware is right, it looks like it will be $430-$450 (aka, worst-case scenario GTX 260 territory, though I'm still expecting nVidia to bring the GTX 260 in at $400 like they did the 8800GTS 640mb, or to at least ensure it gets down to that price by the time the HD 4870 1024MB hard launches).

Back