Radiator Shroud...

iownyou14

Limp Gawd
What are they? What do they do? Are they outside the case or inside?

Thanks!

You mount it on your radiator, so you can place a fan on it. See, very simple :rolleyes:

this is how its used:

fan
---shroud---
--heatercore--

it pretty much raises the fan off of the radiator for better airflow and less "air turbulence" noise...

I know these pics have been posted alot, but a pic is worth a thousand words. This is the basic idea, mine isn't the prettest in the world, but it works.

DSC00798.JPG

DSC00799.JPG

DSC00802.JPG

Sweet. Thanks ppl.

Also, how much space would a Dual 120mm (25mm height) fans, 2 radioator shrouds, and a DD Black Ice Xtreme II take up?? Im placing it in my case where the 5 1/2 bays are and there are 4 in total (2 used by optical drives).

PS: Like placing the radiator, fans, shorud in the bay but facing the top of the case. So the fans are intaking from the top of the case.

you could never dream of fitting it in there...well, depends what you mean

4 total = 2 drives + 2 empty
OR
6 total = 2 drives + 4 empty

i'm gonna assume the first

If that's the case, you could always mount it on top of ur case, but ur not gonna fit a dual 120mm rad in the drive bays..

think of it this way: 2x120mm = 240mm and they are bigger than a 120mm fan, so its gonna be like 275mm (estimate)...good luck fitting it in your case, unless you have a CM Stacker...but otherwise, you can try.

Im talking about fitting it on the top of the case, not on the 5 1/2 bays. Like the fans intake air from the top, into the case.

the shroud is the piece that is between the fans and the heatercore:
hcwshroudfans1.jpg

pic of the same core minus the fans and the shroud:

2blkhc2.jpg

iownyou14 said:
Im talking about fitting it on the top of the case, not on the 5 1/2 bays. Like the fans intake air from the top, into the case.

oohhh...sorry, yeah that would be fine, i've seen TONS of people do that, and they haven't had any problems (so i've heard)

Alex41290 said:
you could never dream of fitting it in there...well, depends what you mean

4 total = 2 drives + 2 empty
OR
6 total = 2 drives + 4 empty

i'm gonna assume the first

If that's the case, you could always mount it on top of ur case, but ur not gonna fit a dual 120mm rad in the drive bays..

think of it this way: 2x120mm = 240mm and they are bigger than a 120mm fan, so its gonna be like 275mm (estimate)...good luck fitting it in your case, unless you have a CM Stacker...but otherwise, you can try.
i can fit the black ice extreme II int eh bottom of na X- dreamer 2.

Excellent! Thanks!

Also, should the fans be intaking from the Top into the rad or exhasting air from the rad to the top? What setup will give me the best performance?

Even though you are watercooling, I would recommend that you exhaust out the top. Remember thermodynamics: Warm air rises. All you would do is fill your case with warm air unless you also have a cross flow fan setup (i.e. front to back). Even then, all the warmest air will try to rise. So I always feel it's best to have the warm air rise right out the top. My $0.02..

True True.

So should it be (starting from top of case):

Fan -> Shroud -> Radiator

or

Radiator -> Shroud -> Fan

Thanks!

this one is still in the prototype stages but it has potential as the seamless design makes it very strong -- looks fairly cool as well. :)
clearshroud1.jpg

~~1.5" standoff, totally clear.

There's a guy over in the Pro Cooling forums that is CNC cutting shrouds, welding them and powder coating them. Right now he's got some for the 2.302 cores. I've got one coming to give it a little testing.

CNC shroud

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Back