Rage sucks

Yes they are cheap, but is a 17-18 dvd / 3 bluray game acceptable? Manufacturing costs would be high, and the user experience would make you want to shoot yourself, 17dvds? fuck meee.

As for a download. I don't know if that is economically viable at the moment. The bandwidth of sending that out to hundreds of thousands (to millions) of people would be quite expensive. It would take days to download. Our buddies in the EU would be totally fucked (some here as well). And it takes up 150gs which some people would refuse to install in the first place.

Ya not everybody has 100Megabit unlimited cap broadband. :p

Yes they are cheap, but is a 17-18 dvd / 3 bluray game acceptable? Manufacturing costs would be high, and the user experience would make you want to shoot yourself, 17dvds? fuck meee.

As for a download. I don't know if that is economically viable at the moment. The bandwidth of sending that out to hundreds of thousands (to millions) of people would be quite expensive. It would take days to download. Our buddies in the EU would be totally fucked (some here as well). And it takes up 150gs which some people would refuse to install in the first place.

Tons of DVDs wouldn't matter for the PC since it's Steamworks so install it and never touch it again. As for consoles? Fuck 'em they can deal with the shitty textures. If people's caps prevent them from downloading it that is why there is retail.

As for a download. I don't know if that is economically viable at the moment. The bandwidth of sending that out to hundreds of thousands (to millions) of people would be quite expensive. Our buddies in the EU would be totally fucked (some here as well). And it takes up 150gs which some people would refuse to install in the first place.

i'm pretty i remember reading that you have to pay a "more than you'd expect" amount in shipping multiple disc titles, at least on the 360. not sure how sony handles it.

bandwidth is cheap for providers like steam to push the content, the problem is the pipes that people have.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious to anyone that has played vanilla Doom 3 lately that the Doom 3's textures were never that good.

Nor was it out in 2005 either :)

Funny how a few years can skew peoples perception of a game, when doom 3 hit there was plenty of angst about the textures from what i can recall.

Is Fallout 3 any good? I've been thinking of giving it a shot, and now with this Rage disaster, it seems like a good idea.

The only thing that's really holding me up right now is the fact that it's also a Besthesda game, and so...
Fallout 3 is an amazing game.

Nor was it out in 2005 either :)

Funny how a few years can skew peoples perception of a game, when doom 3 hit there was plenty of angst about the textures from what i can recall.

and yet what was probably a single modder made doom 3 look better than a multimillion dollar game that took 7 years to complete. Pathetic, just pathetic.

Is Fallout 3 any good? I've been thinking of giving it a shot, and now with this Rage disaster, it seems like a good idea.

The only thing that's really holding me up right now is the fact that it's also a Besthesda game, and so...

fallout 3, for me, is awesome.. works out of the box, and there is high def textures for it. there is a 1.7 patch which is essential.

and yet what was probably a single modder made doom 3 look better than a multimillion dollar game that took 7 years to complete. Pathetic, just pathetic.

Realistically you could say the same about doom 3 when it came out, and mods, config tweaks and texture packs improved its look substantially.

Go with Fallout:NV if you haven't played it already, or if you're going to play both, play Fallout 3 first because NV will spoil your FO3 experience. NV is a superior game, imho.

Alright, thanks for the recommendations. I'm going to get Fallout 3 on Steam, and pending that I enjoy that, NV later.

First Romero, now Carmack? Well, it is 20 years on since they peaked...
Brett Favre, anyone?

Nobody stays king forever....

It is NOT limited to AMD. The issue is a game issue, between both NVIDIA and AMD GPUs, talking about texture streaming/pop-in, and low quality textures.

why don't i get texture stremaing/pop-in issues on my gtx 570? Could an SSD be causing it (i got one). This game runs as smooth as any other game, i just don't see the issue you guys are talking about.

why don't i get texture stremaing/pop-in issues on my gtx 570? Could an SSD be causing it (i got one). This game runs as smooth as any other game, i just don't see the issue you guys are talking about.

For the most part it is ATI users experiencing the worst of it (there have been new drivers to make it better). Nvidia users also get it as well but I am in the same boat as you except no SSD with a 580. But the issue is more or less like this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IY7SAsQrko

I can force mine to pop in but it updates in a split second (I haven't tried any command line mods yet).

it's almost 0 on my gtx 260, and i'm just completely locked at 60fps at 8x fsaa.

here's a gallery of pics i'm taking as i go, it'll update on the fly.
http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/10565193/1/rage?h=590879

Realistically you could say the same about doom 3 when it came out, and mods, config tweaks and texture packs improved its look substantially.

what modded game from 1997 looked better than unmodded doom 3? because this is what is happening with d3-rage

what modded game from 1997 looked better than unmodded doom 3? because this is what is happening with d3-rage

In 1997 we barely had 3d accelerators compared to what we had in 2004 let alone today.

I agree that from what im seeing in screens some of the textures do look laughable, but doom 3 had more than its fair share of those.

They really need to get the thumb out and get some hi res packs up for download.

I'm glad that there is a work around. I'm not buying this game for $60 though. I can say that it does interest me.

I always expected this to be a corridor shooter. I'm glad I didn't let the hype get to me. This game meets my expectations for a $25 game. From the videos I have watched, It looks decent enough. I think anyone who expected more story or more freedom clearly doesn't know shit about id software.

What does piss me off?
The technical issues that this game needlessly exhibits. That is far less than I expect from JC. You can say the dry plot and lack of vision isn't his fault. You can't say the tech issues aren't. He is responsible for that aspect 100%. I am not surprised that this is a problem that can be fixed by just enabling some options that there isn't a menu for. If anything, they knew of this problem and made the necessary changes or just did it properly to begin with and no one followed up to see that it was actually being implemented properly for the PC game. I mean, if it works on the XBOX then who gives a shit about anyone else right.

I have a question though. Is this game running in OGL on the XBOX also? Seems like a definite for the PS3 but I didn't know that the XBOX was even capable. I could have sworn that was some version of DX9.

In 1997 we barely had 3d accelerators compared to what we had in 2004 let alone today.

I agree that from what im seeing in screens some of the textures do look laughable, but doom 3 had more than its fair share of those.

They really need to get the thumb out and get some hi res packs up for download.

carmack said IF they did that, it would only be one level. Maybe with the backlash, they'll do the whole game.

Well id got my $60, Doom 4 better be EPIC! And please bring on Quake 5! I hope Carmack has a fire lit under him... but I suppose I shouldn't hold my breath.

Forcing 16K textures doesn't make the game look any better. Goes from god awful to insulting. Appropriate name for the game, I am definitely not preording id's next game; titled CONSOLEPORT.

it's almost 0 on my gtx 260, and i'm just completely locked at 60fps at 8x fsaa.

here's a gallery of pics i'm taking as i go, it'll update on the fly.
http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/10565193/1/rage?h=590879

Looks awesome. Must be the ATI boys who are having trouble. Haven't they learned by now.:rolleyes:

How does the game play? No one seems to talking about that. Apparently, the AI is supposed to be good and the challenge escalates throughout. Anyone with a comment regarding this?

And to the above. No, Diablo 3 will own. Just don't expect it to anything more than another Diablo game. That was the problem many had with Starcraft 2. They expected waaaaay too much.

carmack said IF they did that, it would only be one level. Maybe with the backlash, they'll do the whole game.

Indeed, they do have higher res assets , just a matter of them working to get them set up for pc and deploying them. Gonna take a while for that though.

Looks awesome. Must be the ATI boys who are having trouble. Haven't they learned by now.:rolleyes:

How does the game play? No one seems to talking about that. Apparently, the AI is supposed to be good and the challenge escalates throughout. Anyone with a comment regarding this?

And to the above. No, Diablo 3 will own. Just don't expect it to anything more than another Diablo game. That was the problem many had with Starcraft 2. They expected waaaaay too much.

the animation is really, really good and the gunplay is fun and satisfying so far.

i'm still just at the beginning of the game though.

I wish I was seeing something remotely close to what IGN reviewers saw. Even the stuff on the wall is throwing shadows and they are 2d in my game.

rage-20110126102426252.jpg

Then again, look at this screenshot and tell me how they gave it a 9.5 or whatever.... :confused:

rage-20100813080423915.jpg

Yeah those textures do look pretty bland... I'm currently being spoiled playing Metro 2033 maxxed out at 1600p with smooth framerates and Rage is next on my playlist but I think it will be quite a step back visually. :/ So much for modern games actually taking advantage of our advanced PC hardware.... God I hate consoles.

Why isn't there any AF in those screenshots? :confused:

That first shot looks ok. The second one looks bad. (as in broken possibly) I still think there is some random LOD shifting or something happening due to the auto-detection in the game. I'm curious as to how often it updates/detects these settings, and scales things. Does it do an initial check at first launch, or does it keep tabs on things, and adjust on the fly? I thought it was the latter, in which case, maybe their detection system is broken. (which is why they should allow users to override via menu) CFG tweaks are fine with me, but menus would be helpful for some.

I feel like random textures are getting the wrong LOD levels, which seems to be echoed by some of the fixes floating around out there. There's an A/B in the Texture Fix thread. Seems to support this somewhat as well. If one goes in and sets all detail settings manually, I wonder if the same areas that looked bad, look better in all cases...

Well, I actually have some time to play with it tonight, so I'm going to tweak the hell out of it.

I tried to help my friend today again to get it running. We've finally got it somewhat smooth but it keeps crashing before each loading screen to a new area.

I swear you fix one problem and another pops right up.

This game is such a waste of potential.

Current main system in my sig runs it fairly well - with the latests ATI drivers, the performance patch and the rageconfig 8k texture trick. I really have to force it to see any texture pop and it happens so fast I have to look for it to see it.

I've set it aside though for the true high-res texture pack, I can see where they really need to improve on it. I'm not playing a console - I'm playing a PC worth more than 1 grand - show me the love.

I noticed how average looking the textures were up close in many of the screen shots and trailers released so far. Nothing new here. The game excels visually when you are looking at the grand landscapes. And yes, Gears 3 looks at least two to three times as sharp on a 360 for crying out loud and only in 720p.

But which one PLAYS better.

don't worry boys.

Batman Arkham city is coming next month, and Rage will have since been long forgotten.

idtech5 vs UE3 is like AMD vs Intel.
intel and ue3 have everyone else's ass kicked to the curb

don't worry boys.

Batman Arkham city is coming next month, and Rage will have since been long forgotten.

idtech5 vs UE3 is like AMD vs Intel.
intel and ue3 have everyone else's ass kicked to the curb

Did you play those early UE3 games? With the saran wrap, no AA, bloom, etc?

Did you play those early UE3 games? With the saran wrap, no AA, bloom, etc?

Early UE3? Isn't that still just about every UE3 game? I hate that engine so much, and Epic for making it.

EDIT also, that pic posts on the front page from this thread, the one with the doom 3 texture comparison. Isn't that a modded Doom 3 image?

Last edited:
Early UE3? Isn't that still just about every UE3 game? I hate that engine so much, and Epic for making it.

Epic owns this generation. Have you seen the good Samaritan demo? The enhanced Unreal engine 3 looks better than anything else I've ever seen.

Premonition: Epic will return to the PC with their new IP and deliver the definitive Sci-Fi shooter of this generation. Then I woke up and realized its another X360 exclusive.

Please explain to me how this an ATI driver issue. Every other OpenGL application I use does not exhibit these issues.

Also, Starcraft 2 did not have issues as widespread as this (seeing as ATI controls ~40-50% of the discrete graphics market, that'd be about half the potential market). In fact, I don't even recall any technical issues at launch.

RAGE was the third, Duke Nukem, Crysis 2, and RAGE.

Haha, I guess for some people that is true, but I think realistically, a lot of people didn't expect DNF to be the next big thing in PC gaming. (And by that I mean, in the past 5 years, of course! A long time ago, DNF certainly did mean that for PC gaming.) These other two definitely had that torch to carry though...

Back