RAID-0 proved ineffective at boosting desktop application/game performance

unhappy_mage said:
Still copying stuff off the 120s, sorry. I kept my kernel source trees for several things on them (a raid 1 array), so it's a *lot* of files (135k), and it's moving onto my raid 5 array, which is in PIO mode. Anyways, about half done. I'll be using Dynamic Disks in winXP for the raid.

Sounds good, I wont be able to check back anymore today, maybe tomorrow. I wont have access to a computer for personal use until next weekend but will try to obtain access to the [H]. I took on a job right before Christmas where I work 5 hours away so I drive down tonight and will be back late friday, and im leaving around 6:30 if all goes well. Thanks again.

DougLite said:
Clicky, check out the bar graph towards the bottom of Eugene's post. SR will be posting a pretty comprehensive article on RAID, hopefully soon. The graph is a selection from the results obtained for that forthcoming article.
RAID0.JPG

The problem with this graph, DougLite are many fold. But I'll bring up the two most important.

1) You are showing a single, NEWer technology drive versus older drives.

2) There is no performance data showing what *1* wd740 does.

SHould I be surprised that a brand new drive that costs $300 performs as well as, if not better than, 2 years ago's technology that costs less? No, I shouldn't, and If you are, you shouldn't be modding a STORAGE SYSTEMS forum.

:)

Now.. Put the WD1500 Raptors in Raid0x2 and Raid0x4 and show me that graph again, and I have a sneaking suspicion that the raid 0x2 and raid 0x4 will outperform Single drive performance.

Yes, Raid0 has a severe stability issue, but anyone with half a brain keeps an active backup of their Raid0 array.

Malogato said:
The problem with this graph, DougLite are many fold. But I'll bring up the two most important.

SHould I be surprised that a brand new drive that costs $300 performs as well as, if not better than, 2 years ago's technology that costs less? No, I shouldn't, and If you are, you shouldn't be modding a STORAGE SYSTEMS forum.

Now.. Put the WD1500 Raptors in Raid0x2 and Raid0x4 and show me that graph again, and I have a sneaking suspicion that the raid 0x2 and raid 0x4 will outperform Single drive performance.

Yes, Raid0 has a severe stability issue, but anyone with half a brain keeps an active backup of their Raid0 array.

I agree wholeheartedly. One look at the first two tests which consist of many everyday tasks show RAID0 doing its job, and quite well I might add.

Here are single Raptor results.

If raid 0 is so good, why does performance decrease in 2 of 5 cases going from 2 to 4 disks, and increase only marginally in the others?

unhappy_mage said:
Here are single Raptor results.

If raid 0 is so good, why does performance decrease in 2 of 5 cases going from 2 to 4 disks, and increase only marginally in the others?

Who knows the answer? Poorly written code? We are talking about 2 GAMES here. The first two tests consist of many apps. and who knows about the SIMS. I think its odd so much importance has been placed on those two games alone in this thread.Hell im not getting outta here at 6:30 am I ?..lol

PaHick said:
Theres a huge benefit copying/transfering large file in RAID0. Hell thats what its meant for.
I said this before, but apparently I must repeat it. There's a LARGER benefit from two independent disks than from Raid 0. Raid 0 is therefore slower. Turning 2 disks into a Raid array therefore gives no performance benefit.

I said it before, but must repeat again apparently...A solid backup plan takes care of any reliability problems you may have.
No, it doesn't. It merely reduces the damage done. You still lose all data since the last backup, plus all the time to reinstall OS and apps. If you're a gamer, thats not a big deal maybe...but for me, I'd lose three full days.

Oh, and the gamers don't get any performance benefit...so who exactly should be using Raid 0 again?

Ive never seen a study testing the theory on an arrays reliability.
For Raid-0, it's simply the mean of each drives MTBF divided by the array size. If you allow for possible interdrive synch failures, then its somewhat higher. Much worse than a single drive.

Malogato said:

Yes there is data on what a single WD740GD, but it's not on the graph. Once again, a single WD740GD scores 833 IO/s in FarCry and 671 IO/s in WoW, which neither of the RAID-0 setups are even close to. A single WD740GD earns 641 IO/s in the SR High-End DriveMark 2006, remarkably close to the 2x RAID-0 and within striking distance of 4x RAID-0.

Of course the RAID-0 setups will outperform SLED in some situations. I never denied that they did. My position all along on this matter has been:

A) Running RAID-0 is not worth the costs and risks associated with it.
B) RAID-0 does not provide an across the board performance boost.
C) Running RAID-0 on two inferior drives will not allow them to match a single superior drive.

You are welcome to continue wasting your money. SR's results are proof that RAID-0 simply is a poor investment at best, and at worse a boondoggle and rathole for hard earned cash, for dekstop users and gamers.

DougLite said:
Yes there is data on what a single WD740GD, but it's not on the graph. Once again, a single WD740GD scores 833 IO/s in FarCry and 671 IO/s in WoW, which neither of the RAID-0 setups are even close to. A single WD740GD earns 641 IO/s in the SR High-End DriveMark 2006, remarkably close to the 2x RAID-0 and within striking distance of 4x RAID-0.

Of course the RAID-0 setups will outperform SLED in some situations. I never denied that they did. My position all along on this matter has been:

C) Running RAID-0 on two inferior drives will not allow them to match a single superior drive.

You are welcome to continue wasting your money. SR's results are proof that RAID-0 simply is a poor investment at best, and at worse a boondoggle and rathole for hard earned cash, for dekstop users and gamers.

Actually, I don't run a raid 0 array in any of my personal systems.
I run a raid5 for my storage array
and I just run a very fast drive for my boot drive.

As for my in home server, It is in fact running raid 0+1
But see. I don't game with that machine.
Raid wasn't designed around "video gaming"

Gimme an SQL indexing benchmark and it might be more pertinent to me.
Let me know how fast it can affect the compiling of a video.. and I'll care.
Load times go from 39 seconds to 45 seconds in WoW, I couldn't give a fuck less.
Raid for Gaming is asinine.

So then do you disagree with my conclusions from the perspective of a desktop user/gamer?
DougLite said:
SR's results are proof that RAID-0 simply is a poor investment at best, and at worse a boondoggle and rathole for hard earned cash, for dekstop users and gamers.

DougLite said:
So then do you disagree with my conclusions from the perspective of a desktop user/gamer?

I think raid for gaming is silly, yes. Raid0, Raid5, Raid 69.. whichever.
I think the benefit of ANY raid method is FAR underscored by the costs.

2 x 150gb raptors versus 1 x 150gb raptor + $300 in upgraded CPU power, Upgraded Ram, Upgraded video card?

Personally,

I'd rather have a $150, Sgt 300gb 7200rpm, 8mb drive + a 7800GTX for $600 total out of my pocket than a pair of 150GB raptors and onboard video for the same price. But, see, that's just me, when it comes to gaming, that is.

However, when building a server that is going to be headless...
Raid0, x2, x4, x256.. whatever.. Is VERY beneficial for performance.

I didn't think your original post said "JUST" for gamers, did it?

Since the graph you sited shows TWO "Non Games".... I took it to mean that your stance is..
"Raid0 sucks for everyone"

I thought it was common knowledge that you get 0 boost from raiding for game playing. I thought it was an inside joke (I mean, it is here at the company I work for..) We call it.. "RI syndrome"

You know what RI stands for?

Rich
Idiot.

You'll notice I just sold off the last of my personal raptors.
To someone building a raid0, to boot.

On a side note..

Does this topic *really* deserve to be stickied? Isn't it just an opinion column?

I'm about to start my benchmarks. So I don't have to type up all this later, here's my setup for this first run:
2x866 mHz p3, 2gb ECC ram, Supermicro 370DER+
2x120GB Seagate 7200.7
Linux 2.6.14.5
Raid 0, 1, and seperate disks
Create a 25GB file: "dd if=/dev/zero of=orig.file bs=16k count=1562500; sync"
Duplicate it, and keep track of the time spent: "time cp orig.file new.file"
Calculate MB/s, make graphs, etc
With the seperate-disk setup, of course, I'll copy from one disk to the other. I may also try a large file tree test, say 10 copies of the linux kernel source tree.

Sometime later I'll try with XP dynamic disks, if anyone cares.

Finally, access to a pc..lol

masher said:
I said this before, but apparently I must repeat it. There's a LARGER benefit from two independent disks than from Raid 0. Raid 0 is therefore slower. Turning 2 disks into a Raid array therefore gives no performance benefit.

All I got to say is prove it. Transfering large files is where RAID0 shines.

masher said:
No, it doesn't. It merely reduces the damage done. You still lose all data since the last backup, plus all the time to reinstall OS and apps. If you're a gamer, thats not a big deal maybe...but for me, I'd lose three full days.

OK here goes, if I have RAID0 and I drop a drive, I have to reinstall everything. If I have a single disk and drop a drive, I STILL HAVE TO REINSTALL EVERYTHING! If I have RAID1 , I would still have to rebuild the array. Backups take the worry out of the equation no matter the disk options the user has. And three full days to reinstall from a backup? What for method are you using for backups? :confused:

masher said:
Oh, and the gamers don't get any performance benefit...so who exactly should be using Raid 0 again?

See chart on first post, Sims shows a gain doesnt it? There are others out there that benefit also.

DougLite said:

A) In your opinion.Alot may disagree.
B) True, but according to SR's benchmarks RAID0 does show a boost in performance in everday apps. (Office DriveMark 2006, High-End Drivemark 2006)
C)No one is arguing that point.

DougLite said:
SR's results are proof that RAID-0 simply is a poor investment at best, and at worse a boondoggle and rathole for hard earned cash, for dekstop users and gamers.

Again, your opinion. There own tests show different. From a purely gaming standpoint you may be right, and I would probably agree. As for desktop uses, see your own chart tests 1 and 2.

unhappy_mage said:
I'm about to start my benchmarks. So I don't have to type up all this later, here's my setup for this first run:
2x866 mHz p3, 2gb ECC ram, Supermicro 370DER+
2x120GB Seagate 7200.7
Linux 2.6.14.5
Raid 0, 1, and seperate disks
Create a 25GB file: "dd if=/dev/zero of=orig.file bs=16k count=1562500; sync"
Duplicate it, and keep track of the time spent: "time cp orig.file new.file"
Calculate MB/s, make graphs, etc
With the seperate-disk setup, of course, I'll copy from one disk to the other. I may also try a large file tree test, say 10 copies of the linux kernel source tree.

Sometime later I'll try with XP dynamic disks, if anyone cares.

Im not into linux but I trust you know what your doing..lol..jk
:D Honestly it sounds good and ill check back tomorrow. Thanks.

PaHick said:

Unfortunately, only a relatively small percentage of file transfers is of large files. The overwhelming majority of file transfers within a single PC are of very small files - files of a few kilobytes or smaller. And small-file transfers show no benefit at all whatsoever with RAID0; in fact, such transfers may even be slower with RAID0 than without RAID due to the increased access-time latencies.

E4g1e said:
Unfortunately, only a relatively small percentage of file transfers is of large files. The overwhelming majority of file transfers within a single PC are of very small files - files of a few kilobytes or smaller. And small-file transfers show no benefit at all whatsoever with RAID0; in fact, such transfers may even be slower with RAID0 than without RAID due to the increased access-time latencies.

No ones arguing that. Read back a couple posts about VHS/DVD editing.

EDIT**

I just wanted to add that not always will you notice increased latencies when setup in RAID. As I stated before on my desktop machine I noticed an average increase of 1.7ms, on my home server 4.2ms. I really cant notice those numbers at all. If it wasnt for HDTach spitting out those numbers over and over again I couldnt tell the difference.

Well, the first round of tests are finished. These are rather disappointing; maybe I should try a controller that's not 33 mHz :(. Here they are anyways.
Code:
                 Time to create (MB/s)   Time to copy (MB/s)
Raid 1           4466 (5.73)             6296 (3.97)
Raid 0           2235 (11.45)            4489 (5.56)
Seperate disks   2237 (11.43)            5871 (4.25)
The next round of tests should be a little more, shall I say, modern. One interesting point from this test, though: the raid 0 created the file only 2 seconds faster than the single disk. So the extra potential throughput isn't helping, even in this completely linear-write scenario.

PaHick said:
Lol are you actually suggesting 2 drives at Raid-0 would be faster than 2 independent drives transferring from one to the other? Good god man, stop embarrassing yourself. You don't even need a benchmark to disprove this...just a little common sense. Two disks have the same raw bandwidth as a 2-disk Raid array...but the array has to read and write TO THE SAME DRIVES. So instead of a nice long sequential read pattern on one disk and a nice long write pattern on the other...you get BOTH drives jumping around reading AND writing.

if I have RAID0 and I drop a drive, I have to reinstall everything. If I have a single disk and drop a drive, I STILL HAVE TO REINSTALL EVERYTHING!
But with Raid-0, you'll have to reinstall everything TWICE AS OFTEN. We've explained this too you many times; you still refuse to accept the facts.
'
I'm done with this thread..we led you to the water, but we can't make you drink. I seriously doubt you want to learn or accept facts; you simply want to argue. Enjoy the rest of the thread.

masher said:
Lol are you actually suggesting 2 drives at Raid-0 would be faster than 2 independent drives transferring from one to the other? Good god man, stop embarrassing yourself. You don't even need a benchmark to disprove this...just a little common sense. Two disks have the same raw bandwidth as a 2-disk Raid array...but the array has to read and write TO THE SAME DRIVES. So instead of a nice long sequential read pattern on one disk and a nice long write pattern on the other...you get BOTH drives jumping around reading AND writing.

I never said anything about transfering files from the RAID array to itself have I?

masher said:
But with Raid-0, you'll have to reinstall everything TWICE AS OFTEN.

This is a RAID0 discussion, not RAID1 thank you. Do some research.

unhappy_mage said:
Well, the first round of tests are finished. These are rather disappointing; maybe I should try a controller that's not 33 mHz :(. Here they are anyways.
Code:
                 Time to create (MB/s)   Time to copy (MB/s)
Raid 1           4466 (5.73)             6296 (3.97)
Raid 0           2235 (11.45)            4489 (5.56)
Seperate disks   2237 (11.43)            5871 (4.25)
The next round of tests should be a little more, shall I say, modern. One interesting point from this test, though: the raid 0 created the file only 2 seconds faster than the single disk. So the extra potential throughput isn't helping, even in this completely linear-write scenario.

Nice test, not the results I expected. I actually thought the RAID0 Time to create would have pulled ahead slightly more. Maybe it does have to do with the controller, I dont know. Anyhow, I appreciate your efforts.

PaHick said:
I never said anything about transfering files from the RAID array to itself have I?
PaHick said:
I cannot work on a video without first duplicating the file.
That'd be copying the file from the array to itself, no?

I'll be testing with a pci ata/133 controller any day now, let's see if I can get some better times.

PaHick said:
Nice test, not the results I expected. I actually thought the RAID0 Time to create would have pulled ahead slightly more. Maybe it does have to do with the controller, I dont know. Anyhow, I appreciate your efforts.

In addition, RAID0 did pull ahead in the Time to Copy speed test, but not by nearly enough to justify the extra cost and trouble.

unhappy_mage said:
That'd be copying the file from the array to itself, no?

Depends on which drives im working on, but I meant my RAID0 to my Maxline, or vice versa.

E4g1e said:
In addition, RAID0 did pull ahead in the Time to Copy speed test, but not by nearly enough to justify the extra cost and trouble.

I noticed that, it could be hardware related, who knows.

ben_johnson said:
Two WD750's on RAID 0

or

One WD1500?

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.
iownyou14 said:
Would two Raptor 150s in raid-0 be more beneficial in gaming than one Raptor 150???
See that this perception still persists? See that we must continue to debunk the myth that RAID-0 improves desktop performance across the board? See that we must continue to debunk the myth that running two inferior drives in RAID-0 will allow them to match the application level performance of a single superior drive? See that these misconceptions still exist? See that drive marketing people are absolutely giddy about selling twice as many drives to even a handful of customers on nothing more than hype? Nothing against these members that ask these questions...noone has been there to tell them the truth. Until now. I will simply not allow such myths to be perpetuated without a fight on this forum.

AttoBenchMark_RAID0.gif

BenchMark_HDTach_RAID0.gif

I don't know - I don't think consider the above a placebo effect - do you? Good title by the way, it grabbed my attention; even if it was slightly misleading.

Did I ever disupte RAID-0 improving transfer performance? No. Have I disputed RAID-0 offering improved application level performance? Absolutely. More synthetic benchmarks that simply do not account for locality to mislead consumers.

Show me a benchmark that accounts for locality. Show me a benchmark that accurately reflects desktop application performance. Show me a benchmark that stresses the buffer and caching algorithms of the disk.

I dont get why the performance increase of RAID-0 is so small over more drives, surely parallel reading is going to be a lot faster, at least as far as data transfer speeds are concerned.

For me RAID-0 was a reasonable choice at the time (a few months ago now)

I have 2x36Gb Raptors in RAID-0 and they're very fast, i dont need a lot of space on my primary drive because I only install my apps/games there, all important media is stored on a large, slow archive drive. I was considering upgrading to a 4x36Gb array at some stage but if these numbers are correct I wont bother, even though 2x more 36Gb would be significantly cheaper than 1x 150Gb Raptor.

Is it possible that theres performance issues on some RAID controllers which is causing slower data transfer rates? I'm hesitant to accept these results without seeing multiple RAID solutions being tested.

My only benchmark is games and Im first into most of my multiplayer games, easily in the top 3 of any 64 player BF2/BF2:SF map which suggest to me that the RAID is doing a good job. That said, what would be a good synthetic benchmark to give me a score i could compare to other peoples setup, I want to see if mine is running particuarly slow, or maybe if its running supprisingly well, and maybe make some RAID controller comparisons if possible.

DougLite said:
Did I ever disupte RAID-0 improving transfer performance? No. Have I disputed RAID-0 offering improved application level performance? Absolutely. More synthetic benchmarks that simply do not account for locality to mislead consumers.

Show me a benchmark that accounts for locality. Show me a benchmark that accurately reflects desktop application performance. Show me a benchmark that stresses the buffer and caching algorithms of the disk.

Wait, so transfer performance is still pretty high?

Also i have another question, about cache, how does that work across RAID, does it ammound to effectivly a larger cache, if so 8mb cache x 4 along with increase transfer times is a surely a big benefit.

As for seek times etc i would expect them to stay the same for a RAID array, you're doing nothing to increase that.

So other than these characteristics how else can you measure the performance of HDD's?

*edit*

Wait, that graph is for I/O Per Second, exactly how does this translate to loading performance in games? Most of us are aware that actual in game performance is not going to benefit from faster drives, if your RAM has to load more data mid game you're going to get a lag spike with any drive. But when it comes to loading, has anyone actually got any benchmarks of loading times with RAID-0 configs, thats really all im interested in.

The nebulous "I/O per second" measure is actually a measure of time...the IPEAK SPT RankDisk utility measures how long it takes a given drive to complete a given trace. The team at SR divides that time by 1000 to get a given I/O rate.

It would be interesting to know more accuratly how they got the game figures, was the total amount of media being loaded measured and then simply timed for level loads or what?

Its also clear that the article (article forum) linked too says RAID offers no performance increase, but over what? The top end drives? Maybe some people are looking to buy more standard 7,200 RPM drives and RAID them, the resulting speed might not be faster than a 10k rpm Raptor but its going to be faster than 1 x 7,200 RPM drive.

The performance increase from a general gamers perspective seems pretty reasonable compared to the price paid, it doesn't seem to line up with these results at all which seem laid out to make RAID-0 appear almost totaly useless, which we know isn't the case.

*edit*

Just read up through a bunch of other pages in this thread to sort of see where everyone is going with this, 2 things anoy me very much.

1) Negative sides of RAID-0, we all know that there are downfalls but in the context of a gamer or even a high end home user most of them are irrelevent, heat and noise are only an actual problem if your computer is especially hot or loud in the first place, i have a fairly nice gaming rig and neither these things nor the power supply requirements are problems, even if they were they're hardly hard to overcome. In fact its nothing extra that single drives suffer from, its just more pronounced. As for data loss, i think most people are reasonably well aware not to store mission critical data on a RAID array unless its being mirrored also, most gamers are going to be booting of these drives and if they've got any sense they wont store anything important on it.

2) People saying RAID-0 is dead, and offers no performance increase are misinterpeting the facts, and this IMO is largly down to the very bad presentation of the source article, where they compare RAID'd old drives to brand new much faster hardware, rather than just 1 of the origional drives.

If you're going to make any large genralisations and fleeting statements its probably best that you be a bit more accurate, I think what most people are trying to convey here is that RAID-0's speed improvements are not nessicerily worth the money it costs.

But they my friend down the road who doesn't play many games thinks that spending £350 on my 7800 GTX was not worth the money it costs, for his personal circumstance he's dead on right, for me as a gamer who spends a lot of his life playing the latest and greatest games it most definatly was worth the money.

1. Thanks for the SR link, I did not know they had a Raptor X review up.

2. It is sad how much RAID discussions always turn into a "holy war" where there is only one winner. Unfortunately, I am biased, since I see the scientific approach that SR has been adhereing to over the past years and their tests make sense to me. From this biased standpoint I must say that I do not understand why people still argue in favor or RAID-0 for 'run-of-the-mill' gamers. While it may seem cool to compare e-pen0rs by saying that "I have more RAID-0 than you" the only thing people are comparing is how much money they can waste on at best marginal performance improvements.

Considering the religious resistance from the RAID 4 life fraction I am impressed by DL's subborness in trying to educate them. I must say that I would have given up by now, some people just do not want to hear what you have to say and will come up with plenty of reasons...

Let me say a couple of things:
Someone mentioned that the comparison is unfair, since it's pitting an "old drive vs a new one". While you have a point, DL mentioned in the first posts that gamers are served better by investing in newer technology rather than raiding 'older/ slower' drives. I for one had considered to buy some of the 'hand me down' 740GDs that are soon going to be on FS/FT when the RaptorX hits, but now I am not so sure that I will do that. Seeing the lack of benefit, it appears that the RaptorX is a better choice.

Also, consider the price of the WD740GD compared to the new drive. The two disk array costs almost the same (2x $150 = $300, the Raptor X is $349) as the RX, but does not perform as well. The four disk array will be significantly more expensive....

By now, i have forgotten the point I wanted to make, apart from giving props to DL for fighting a war that he appears to be bound to loose (DL vs. lots of marketing departments).

Frosteh said:
The performance increase from a general gamers perspective seems pretty reasonable compared to the price paid, it doesn't seem to line up with these results at all which seem laid out to make RAID-0 appear almost totaly useless, which we know isn't the case.

may I ask where/ how "we" arrived that that knowledge? I am not seeing your point, since I know that RAID is pretty much useless for me and I have seen significant improvements from using multiple spindles instead.
Frosteh said:
*edit*

1) Negative sides of RAID-0, we all know that there are downfalls but in the context of a gamer or even a high end home user most of them are irrelevent, heat and noise are only an actual problem if your computer is especially hot or loud in the first place, i have a fairly nice gaming rig and neither these things nor the power supply requirements are problems, even if they were they're hardly hard to overcome.
From the perspective of someone who grew up in a country where using less to do more has been a credo for ages, I see the power consumption point. Your RAID array will draw more power from the PSU, but that is not the real problem. The problem is that you draw more power from the outlet -> more power needs to be generated. While you would certainly be right to say that the difference is negligible at any point, in the long-term you are paying more for electricity. Most gamers do not take this hidden cost into account.
Frosteh said:
2) People saying RAID-0 is dead, and offers no performance increase are misinterpeting the facts, and this IMO is largly down to the very bad presentation of the source article, where they compare RAID'd old drives to brand new much faster hardware, rather than just 1 of the origional drives.
This information has been added independently by DL. If you looked more at SR, you would notice that all their benches are done on the same hardware base, therefore the scores are comparable across tests.
Frosteh said:
If you're going to make any large genralisations and fleeting statements its probably best that you be a bit more accurate, I think what most people are trying to convey here is that RAID-0's speed improvements are not nessicerily worth the money it costs.
once agian, DL has clearly stated that on page 1 of this thread. I actually like his analogy a lot comparing the argument for RAID-0 to video cards, where people are trying to get the most performance for the money.
Frosteh said:
But they my friend down the road who doesn't play many games thinks that spending £350 on my 7800 GTX was not worth the money it costs, for his personal circumstance he's dead on right, for me as a gamer who spends a lot of his life playing the latest and greatest games it most definatly was worth the money.
If you really want me to, I can do the financial calcuation and explain to you that buying 2 740GDs and RAID-0-ing them does not -and did not- make sense, even for you.

[Masher=] > "But with Raid-0, you'll have to reinstall everything TWICE AS OFTEN..."

[Pahick=]This is a RAID0 discussion, not RAID1 thank you. Do some research...

I know I said I was done here, but I just can't let this nonsense stand. It's pretty clear who needs to do their research. RAID 0 fails twice as often as a single drive. Therefore, you need to recover from failures twice as often. Slightly more than twice as often, to be precise.

This comment of yours makes me wonder if you even understand how Raid works.

PaHick said:
Depends on which drives im working on, but I meant my RAID0 to my Maxline, or vice versa.
Lol, we're comparing Raid 0 to having 2 independent disks...and now you've thrown a THIRD disk into the mix? What lengths will you go to?

Besides the fact that your 3-disk setup has TRIPLE the failure rate of a single disk, you have other problems with this as well. If you're worried about performance, why would you put the file on your single disk to start? And even if you did, copying off that drive will be limited by the read speed of that drive. You could have a 8-disk Raid array writing the results, and it still wouldn't be any faster than that Maxline.

So to sum up your dismal attempt of rationalizing Raid 0 with video handling, we have the following use cases:

> Capturing video. Bound by device capture rate: no benefit from Raid.
> Transcoding video. Bound by cpu: no benefit from Raid.
> Copying video files. Two independent drives faster than 1 array: no benefit.from Raid.

Care to try again?

masher said:
> Copying video files. Two independent drives faster than 1 array: no benefit.from Raid.

Care to try again?
If you copy from a RAID0 array to a RAID0 array, you will see an improvement.

masher said:
I know I said I was done here, but I just can't let this nonsense stand. It's pretty clear who needs to do their research. RAID 0 fails twice as often as a single drive. Therefore, you need to recover from failures twice as often. Slightly more than twice as often, to be precise.

This comment of yours makes me wonder if you even understand how Raid works.

Lol, we're comparing Raid 0 to having 2 independent disks...and now you've thrown a THIRD disk into the mix? What lengths will you go to?

Besides the fact that your 3-disk setup has TRIPLE the failure rate of a single disk, you have other problems with this as well. If you're worried about performance, why would you put the file on your single disk to start? And even if you did, copying off that drive will be limited by the read speed of that drive. You could have a 8-disk Raid array writing the results, and it still wouldn't be any faster than that Maxline.

So to sum up your dismal attempt of rationalizing Raid 0 with video handling, we have the following use cases:

> Capturing video. Bound by device capture rate: no benefit from Raid.
> Transcoding video. Bound by cpu: no benefit from Raid.

Care to try again?

1 out of 4 people will get cancer... thats a fact. So does that mean if there are 4 people in the room that 1 of them will get cancer? The real fact is that if a 100 people or everyone here posting to this thread might NEVER get cancer or they might all get it.

Stop falling for the stupid statistical generalizations... statistics are just statistics.

I had a raid0 array on gxps in the era where they were defective... i even had the bad model too... ran fine for 3-4 years... none of them failed.

drizzt81 said:
If you copy from a RAID0 array to a RAID0 array, you will see an improvement.
You sure will. Of course, you just introduced four disks into the picture, not two. Quadrupling your cost, complexity, and power draw. And quadrupling your chance of failure too.

1 out of 4 people will get cancer... thats a fact. So does that mean if there are 4 people in the room that 1 of them will get cancer?
By your logic, you're saying that we should all chain-smoke and expose ourselves to carcinogenic chemicals...since our risk increase is "just statistics".

Or that we should all play Russian Roulette...since the chance of blowing our brains out is "just statistics". After all, you knew a guy who spun the chamber 8 times and didn't die, right?

Statistics is pure, provable mathematics. Fact. Two drives fail more often than one. Drives are pretty reliable beasts nowadays. But two of them in a Raid 0 array are LESS reliable than one. Fact. Get over it.

masher said:
You sure will. Of course, you just introduced four disks into the picture, not two. Quadrupling your cost, complexity, and power draw. And quadrupling your chance of failure too.

He is saying that the single drive write speed is acting as a bottleneck. You could try reading/writing to a block of memory.

Lord of Shadows said:
He is saying that the single drive write speed is acting as a bottleneck. You could try reading/writing to a block of memory.
I understand what he's saying, but it misses the point. We're not trying to develop a synthetic benchmark, we're trying to examine real-world scenarios where a Raid 0 array would be faster than two independent disks.

drizzt81 said:
By now, i have forgotten the point I wanted to make, apart from giving props to DL for fighting a war that he appears to be bound to loose (DL vs. lots of marketing departments).

I don't care about the marketing people.
I don't care if I ever receive a single drive to review or otherwise become famous in this business.
I don't care if other people hate my guts, or think I'm wrong.

My loyalty here is simple...it's to the people that read this forum and seek advice on storage related matters. Other sites/forums may talk about how great RAID-0 is. Other sites/forums may trust benchmarks that don't account for locality and are useful as little more than diagnostics. Other sites/forums may apply scientific brute force methods to the art of increasing desktop application performance. But it won't happen [H]ere, not without a fight.

Anyone is welcome to disagree with me, and anyone is welcome to believe and post what they believe on this board. This thread wasn't closed when I posted it. It wasn't made an announcement. I haven't deleted or edited posts that disagreed with my position. It was an honest effort to get everyone to look past the synthetic benchmarks and marketing hyperbole. Yes I am passionate on this issue, but it's been the only way to get through to some. If it saves someone their hard earned cash, or saves someone from losing their irrpelacable pictures, douments, etc to one of RAID's pitfalls, then it will have been worth it.

just2cool said:
I don't know - I don't think consider the above a placebo effect - do you? Good title by the way, it grabbed my attention; even if it was slightly misleading.
this comes down to another trend from the VC forum: do you play HDTach all day long?

In order to get some closure on this thread, let's consider a couple of things:
1. Eugene (SR) have a testing methodology, you should read, if you want to discredit his (her?) results:
http://www.storagereview.com/articles/200111/20011109Renaissance_1.html
http://www.storagereview.com/articles/200510/Testbed4_1.html

It is important to notice that there is a lot of statistics involved in these tests. Since there are some posters in here that say that statistics are bad, I figure I should ask those to explain to us why then he/ she is still paying attention to any benchmark? In the end, every single benchmark is most likely not representative of your particular performance, therefore you may as well not pay any attention at all.

Do statements like "1 out of 4 people will get cancer" mean that exactly 1/4 of the people in here will get cancer? No, but it allows us to make a statement of the probability that is associated with getting cancer. [edit] It also gives us the Maximum A Posteriori (MAP) hypothesis for the problem "how many people get cancer".[/edit] If you have not realized it yet, most of your life is governed by probabilties and statistics. While they will not all apply to you in specific, they are derived from what happens on average. Considering that many banks spend "millions" on risk management (purely statistics) you would do well, not tossing out such an important branch of mathematics.

Back on topic:
Since people do not belive in SR's benchmarks/ comparisons, why don't they offer us a better benchmark, so that we can compare and critize? I must agree, DL went over the top by saying "RAID0 is dead", since there are -as well as have been- workloads where RAID0 is certainly one of the -if not the- best solution, however this is a "Gamer oriented" forum therefore we should concentrate on the 'typical gamer' workload, not on some application that most gamers never or rarely do. This, once again, brings us back to statistics, if the average gamer spends 4 hours/ year editing a movie and implementing RAID-0 will cut that time to 2.5 hours, does it make sense to invest into this technology? We should also take into account that a gamer will play (let's say) approximately 400 hours per year. With the level load time advantages (which may or may not exist, we need to make sure that our research here is accurate) that may decrease to 399 hours/ year with RAID-0. Does a 0.6% increase in time really justify a doubling in expense, considering that we may get significantly greater benefits from a better GFX card/ CPU?

Please understand that the previous analysis is only an 'example' and does not reflect the real world accurately, since we do not have the data required to really do the problem justice. We would also have to create a "utility function" for gamers, which would capture the fact that people get zero utility if a game runs at <30fps... etc.

The problem is _extremely_ complex, therefore it is very hard to make an absolute statement. In the end, people are required to analyze their own needs before making a purchase. The results at SR try to show that people who play a lot of games will have little, if any benefit from going the RAID-0 route. Additionally, they may soon show that most other applications that are generally used more frequently are also not benefiting from RAID-0, thereby suggesting that most gamers/ office applicaiton users should not invest in RAID-0, unless they are heavy users of some of the view applications that do benefit from RAID-0.

Back