Raid 0 SCSI - They way to go? (hardware that is)

Yeah.. well they have been running quite well for old drives! I went with SCSI mainly for the faster seek times, load speed (not a HUGE factor), low cpu usage. And I have been VERY pleased with them. I have been burning dvd's.. downloading like 10 torrents... having like 10 apps open and like 10 screens minimized..while playing a game all at once..and my cpu usage is like at 1-2%! (from the background stuff) I have been eyeing some 36 & 74 gb drives on ebay the past few days. Was thinking about using the 36GB for windows, page, apps, the 74gb for games, and then getting a big fat sata drive and using that for storage (the 300gb SCSI disks cost like $1000 - otherwise id get one of those *sigh*)

sdattilo - if your not hotswapping - the only difference is that the power is provided via the 80pin cable, and not an IDE connector

80pin - has just the 80pin connector
68pin - has 68 pin connector, jumper selectors, ide power connector

SCSI drives are good - in that they have their own controller onboard - they will not use your cpu when you read/write to them. Also, they used to be the speed kings/queens of data transfer, but the speed difference is no-longer so cut and dry, the 10k Raptors from WD are pretty close in transfer speeds. They still 0\/\/|\| the crown in terms of seek times though.

I would consider myself a power-user. Administrative type guy. Multitask to the max - at work my computer STRESSES as I have at any time 5-6 ie windows open, 5-6 instances of excel, 3-4 other programs with multiple windows, lotus notes, like 10 proggies running in the taskbar at any given time, and I leave my machine on without restarting it typically for a month at a time.

When planning for a SCSI setup, you need to know what you want. How new are the SCSI components? How many drives will you be putting on it? SCSI isn't the same as IDE, you can put up to 16 devices on a single channel (minus 1 for the controller card, and minus 1 if you need a terminator), they are louder because they are 10k & 15k rpm (they sound like old harddrives - whenever they read data, some people describe it as a clicking sound)

Dumass_Freakboy said:
SCSI isn't the same as IDE, you can put up to 16 devices on a single channel (minus 1 for the controller card, and minus 1 if you need a terminator)

Just a minor nit-pick on this... You always need a terminator, no if about it. But, the terminator does not count as a device on the bus (though it may take up a connector on a cable if it's not built in to the cable or a device). That is, you can have 16 devices including the controller itself.

UICompE02 said:
Just a minor nit-pick on this... You always need a terminator, no if about it. But, the terminator does not count as a device on the bus (though it may take up a connector on a cable if it's not built in to the cable or a device). That is, you can have 16 devices including the controller itself.
Thanks for the correction - I wasn't 100% sure if you could say put 15 drives on a 16 cable and not require a terminator. (Thought they said at my school you could :rolleyes: )

I'll be back.

Dumass_Freakboy said:
Thanks for the correction - I wasn't 100% sure if you could say put 15 drives on a 16 cable and not require a terminator. (Thought they said at my school you could :rolleyes: )

Yikes! You may be able to get away without a using a terminator in very, very limited cases, but that is typically a single device on a very short cable - even in that case it won't be guaranteed to be reliable. In the case of 15 devices, you'd aboslutely need a terminator, I don't think it would even work marginally without one.

UIcpmpE02, can you use a drive to terminate the end of the chain if it supports it with that many drives?

defakto said:
UIcpmpE02, can you use a drive to terminate the end of the chain if it supports it with that many drives?

Sure -- if the drive has a bulit in terminator, the terminator is enabled, and it's at the end of the cable, that would work just fine.

Back