Raid-1 Array in Degrade ?

plot

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a computer with two HD's in a raid-1 array (winXP is on the array, computer boots on it), no other harddrives in the computer... just the two in a raid-1 array.

i recently noticed another drive pop up, and it was my second harddrive (that was supposed to be in the raid-1 config)... had half the files as my c: drive, so the raid-1 was working at some point but fell out of it?

i rebooted my computer and it came up showing both drives in DEGRADE mode? i have no idea what that is.

both drives (two western digital sata drives) are working fine, they show up as in the raid-1 array but in degrade mode. how do i get it out of the degrade mode? do i have to wipe both the disks and do a fresh install or something to put them back into a raid-1 array?

or can i somehow just rebuild the second drive?

nforce4 chipset, two sata drives, booting to them.

Degrade mode means either a drive has failed OR it is building the mirror data on the other drive. It's best to leave it running until the rebuild process has completed.

defakto said:
Degrade mode means either a drive has failed OR it is building the mirror data on the other drive. It's best to leave it running until the rebuild process has completed.

the other drive is working fine, but it hasn't changed at all... (as in, it's not rebuilding). I never turn this computer off, and whenever i reboot it gives me a window saying both drives are in degrade mode them promptly boots into windows

maybe you should look into windows help (press F1) or towards the Windows KB to find a solution to this problem? There may also be a way to force a rebuild.

If these aren't Western Digital Raid edition drives, that may be part of the cause of your problem. The non-RE drives have a tendency to spend longer correcting an error, forcing the controller to think the drive might be faulty, so it gets dropped from the array. It will not automatically put it back into the array though, at least not that I know of, could be wrong. You will need to force it back in somehow.

Back