RAID 5 w/ 3x 1.5TB = heart ache

gersson

Limp Gawd
How do I initialize my new RAID5 array to be GPT so windows can see it?
If I un-RAID them I can create a RAID array in Vista but it is 2GB max (huge waste of space).

I am using the Intel Matrix Controller on my DFI X48T2R
Any tips?

BTW, according to this: http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-022304.htm
I should be able to create a RAID5 array >2TB without issue (ICH9R)

When you go to format with Disk Management, it should warn you about disks or logical partitions that are greater than 2TB in size.

Of course, if you don't have Vista x64 or Server 2008, I believe you won't be able to utilize GPT partitions to begin with.

Yea, basically when I set up my array in disk management it kinda auto partitioned to 2TB, then I right clicked on the volume in the bottom half of the window and there was an option to "convert to GPT", then I was able to see all 4TB of my array!! :D

When I create a large 3TB RAID 0 Volume it doesn't show up on Windows Vista Ultimate x64...
I can't do what broken arrow suggested (convert it to GPT)

Do you see any disks at all in disk management? Right click on My Comuter > Manage > Disk Management. If you see the disk, but it's got no bar where the volume would be (look at your other disks), then right click on the disk in the left hand portion (disk number) and tell it to initialize. Then you should get a black bar where the volumes goes (right hand side), right click on that and create a GPT disk, then a volume, then format it.

Have you installed the raid driver in windows so that knows that its even there?

I'm using a 3 tb raid 5 and a 2tb raid 5 that both show up fine in vista home premium x64 but not until i installed the raid card drivers.
Once you see it in computer mgmt. you just click the drive and then initialize it as a GPT partition and then just make your simple partitions as you see fit.

Zack

Thanks for the fast reply folks
I currently can see a RAID 1 array I created from the mobo rom.
I had Intel Storage manager installed just as before (I didn't change anything).

So again:
  • If I set up a 3TB RAID 0 Volume (lol -- as a test, of course)
I can't see it at all (not in Disk management either) Intel Matrix doesn't see it either
  • If I set up a 1.5TB RAID 1 Volume I can see it in Disk management; Intel Matrix = Yes
Thanks

in general LBA64 is probably not good to use on a onboard controller anyway since windows is lame and can't boot from a GPT volume. You can get around this on a hardware controller by slicing up the volume into two virtual drives and boot off the smaller one. Not many onboard raid controllers can do this.

Back